Room Safe Question

I have read in several places that the room safes can demagnatize your credit card. Do they charge for the use of the safe, how much? Or is the credit card used for identification purposes?

We have cruised 2x with RCI on Freedom and have used the safe without charge and without problems.

Safe travels:)

Some of the ships have the credit card kind, but we use an old gift card or grocery store card. And the others have a keypad where you choose the 4 digit code.

Like Sue, we use an old grocery store card and have never encountered any problems. On those ships with the coded keypad, it is not an issue.

What ships have the credit card swipe feature? We've been on Voyager and Radiance class and also on Majesty and Sovereign and didn't encounter this... just wondering...

i know,me too.....I have only had the 4 digit code type. I learned something new today :p

:confused: I've prev. cruised Navigator & the safes had the keypad device on

the front....I will be on Voyager next march....am wondering if it

is the same type safe. Anyone??

Thanks, Jen:confused:

As of March of this year Enchantment had the swipe type. We used an empty Panera gift card. It worked great. I have never come across this type of safe on any other RCI ship I have been on. The list of those ships is in my signiture.

Splendeur of the Seas has the swipe type safe. I am told the Grandeur has them also. I have a set (one for me one for DH) of old credit cards I keep in my cruise stuff just in case. We have some old gas company cards that are no longer furnished (not just expired cards). This way we can both carry cards with us, not leave the card in the room or need to find each other if we need to get into the safe. In order for two cards to work they need to be identical.

KEN NYC...did the giants finally end up winning that game this evening...the safe on the ADVENTURE is a punch pad safe...put in a 4 digit code...and it will open...pretty easy...we usually do it with on of our birthdays and months...pretty easy...

Some of the ships have the credit card kind, but we use an old gift card or grocery store card. And the others have a keypad where you choose the 4 digit code.

i tried using a gift card or hotel key...didnt work...BUT my grocery store card did...i guess it needed something that it could read a name on...

many ships have the codes that you can set.....no biggie!

KEN NYC...did the giants finally end up winning that game this evening...the safe on the ADVENTURE is a punch pad safe...put in a 4 digit code...and it will open...pretty easy...we usually do it with on of our birthdays and months...pretty easy...

YES THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go Giants.!!!!!!!!!

I "THINK" that being the two oldest classes of ships that all of the ships in the Vision class and Sovereign class have the swipe type safes. All of the newer classes (Radiance, Voyager & Freedom) have the push button code type. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Eli Manning threw for 199 yards and a touchdown on 19-of-32 passing, but the story of the game was New York's defense, which had five sacks, four interceptions, forced two fumbles and recorded a safety to lead the Giants in a 21-14 victory over the Steelers.

The Legend of the Seas has the swipe system; all the others we have been on have had the 4 digit entry system altough I cannot remember what the system was on the Splendour (too long ago). Never had a problem with our credit cards in the safe. Took along a store credit card to use on the Legend last summer and it worked just fine. The safes are a nice feature in the cabin and do not cost anything to use.

Kathy:)

Archived