How About Being Spontaneous........

sail7seas

Agree with S7S, not micro-manage. One time we didn't know what to do as the port was small and uninteresting. Met a couple from the ship, rented a cab and had a great time in a bigger city. One time we saw a small parade nobody knew was scheduled.

We call that "Padre Style", not knowing what will happen from hour to hour.:)

PS: Does HAL serve chocolate ice cream with chocolate cake and vanilla with white? Or do you have to ask? Who do you ask? When? Can you order it on room service?:confused: :D

I really don't understand why other people's vacation planning - or lack thereof - would concern some of you. :confused:

I/we are VERY easygoing and we are not at all hard to please. Just because I ask oodles of questions - check my posting history :o - doesn't mean I'm setting myself up for disappointment, or that I won't have any exciting surprises onboard. I know that our trip will be great, because as I said in my very first post here, I believe cruises are what you make of them. :)

My questions are because I'm curious now, and I don't see a valid reason why I shouldn't ask these ahead of time. If that bothers anyone, well then feel free to ignore my threads. :rolleyes:

Viola I don't think S7S said anything negative in saying this:

But, folks........ Those who are awaiting your first cruise, do you really want to know every tiny step by step detail about every aspect of your cruise? Do you not want to leave anything to experience without a pre-formed perception of what it will be like?

Just a suggestion that a bit of spontaneity would be fun to experience. Leave at least a few things to be surprised about? Do you honestly want to mico manage and totally examine every little cruising detail before you get to the ship?

It is wonderful advice for first time cruisers to remind them of that other part "spontaneity" that should be included in a first time cruiser's trip. S7S didn't say "Don't ask questions."

That's twice we have agreed in the last couple of days.

Next thing you know, lions will be laying with lambs. :eek:

Seriously though, that is a legitimate point and "discovering" for yourself what a ship or cruise is all about represents a good deal of the holiday experience - or dare I say adventure. We knew nothing about the Maasdam when we boarded it on our first HAL cruise. It seemed everytime we turned around we saw something new and delightful. The shorex from Puerto Quetzal to Tikal was perhaps the most exotic we have experienced to this day. The fact we really didn't know what to expect made it all the more wondrous.

I would hate to think people miss out on some of this because of what happens here. Questions seem to delve right into the minutia.

Again, good point.

Smooth sailing...

:D We better be careful ...... we might start to agree on even more things!!! :) Wow..... does that mean there is actually hope for world peace? One can only hope.

PS: Does HAL serve chocolate ice cream with chocolate cake and vanilla with white? Or do you have to ask? Who do you ask? When? Can you order it on room service?:confused: :D

Perhaps you can call Ships Services to pre-arrange this for you .... :D :eek: :D

Originally Posted by Taxguy7 viewpost.gif

PS: Does HAL serve chocolate ice cream with chocolate cake and vanilla with white? Or do you have to ask? Who do you ask? When? Can you order it on room service?

Perhaps you can call Ships Services to pre-arrange this for you ....

Or you can just bring your own favorite cake and ice cream, with a mini refridgerator/freezer of course (since the one in the cabin is more like a cooler)?! :D

Totally agree. Planning my sixth trip and maybe a bit smarter than before but.....I still am not interrested in micro-management as its far too time consuming and not worth it in the end. I tend to plan my vacations around the fact that the big ticket items and "must sees" are planned well in advance. However, I then leave some time open with some money on the side to do whatever strikes our fancy at other times.

I really don't need to know what they will be serving in the Lido on such and such a day. Surprise me! :)

David

That sums it up for me.

I've also wondered about this... in fact, while I agree the anticipation can be just as exciting as the experience, I never understood why some people want to know so much about everything in advance.

One thing I never did understand is about cabins. I have never wanted to see a picture of my cabin, bathroom, closet, verandah etc. Nor do I want to know what the "best" cabin is... it's too subjective. For instance, I like being towards the front of the ship, many people say midships is the only way to go - it's a matter of personal preference.

But, I'd much rather be surprised to see a cabin category I haven't occupied yet than to have a pre-conceived idea of what I might be getting. Before emailing and posting photos became so easy, my DH & I poured over the ship layouts in brochures trying to pick our cabin - and it was fun!

I also would not want to know what is being served each night or which nights are formal. etc., it's just too much information - but that's just me.

Good thread Sail. :)

One thing I never did understand is about cabins. I have never wanted to see a picture of my cabin, bathroom, closet, verandah etc. Nor do I want to know what the "best" cabin is... it's too subjective. For instance, I like being towards the front of the ship, many people say midships is the only way to go - it's a matter of personal preference.

:)

This one amazes me too. I especially get steamed when folks ask on a "live from" thread to get a picture of cabin so and so:rolleyes: . That is just too much.

Viola I don't think S7S said anything negative in saying this:

But, folks........ Those who are awaiting your first cruise, do you really want to know every tiny step by step detail about every aspect of your cruise? Do you not want to leave anything to experience without a pre-formed perception of what it will be like?

Just a suggestion that a bit of spontaneity would be fun to experience. Leave at least a few things to be surprised about? Do you honestly want to mico manage and totally examine every little cruising detail before you get to the ship?

It is wonderful advice for first time cruisers to remind them of that other part "spontaneity" that should be included in a first time cruiser's trip. S7S didn't say "Don't ask questions."

Maybe you're right. I read it as ridicule for those of us first-time HAL cruisers who ask lots of dumb, obscure questions. Perhaps I overreacted... :o

What might seem like "micromanaging" to one person may just be another person's curiousity. I try to avoid the "menu" threads, as I want each dinner to be a surprise. That said, I was delighted to learn on this board that I could write in "Eggs Benedict" on the room service door tag :D

I like knowing quite a bit in advance, and am definitely an over-preparer. To each his/her own, y'know? I really want to know which night the Master Chef's Dinner is. Don't want to know the menu, but want to know the night, so I can make alternate arrangements.

When we got our guarantee assignment on the last cruise, the first thing I did was check the deck plan, so I knew exactly where our cabin was :D

Even though I feel I've been on many cruises, I really am not interested in knowing every detail. I like learning things first hand when I'm on board. Making my own judgments about a cruise, a ship, a crusie line, ports, etc.. My thought is that's what enhances my cruising fun, learning up front and personal.

Since I travel with my mother, husband, and my young children, I like plenty of information before a trip so I can have some contingency plans. When you're traveling with several generations, it seems to help to have a Plan A, B, C, maybe even D...although, ultimately, you may have to throw all the plans out the window and be O.K. with that. But I guess I enjoy playing "Julie McCoy, your cruise director" for our family because planning is so much fun. There are three stages of enjoyment to a trip--the anticipation, the experience, and the memory!

There's a difference between wanting to know what every night's menu is in order to pick the night you want to go to the Pinnacle, and so you can pick out what you want each night in advance.

There's a difference between wanting to know how many formal/casual nights there are, and deciding in advance what you're going to wear every night.

I think that was the substance of sail's point. It has something to do with the purpose of asking the question.

The whole point of the cruise is to relax. So, relax and let it all go. Slow down and be in the moment. Stop and see, really see, that painting on the wall. You know, the one you pass all the time.

There will be plenty of time to rush when you get back home.

[quote name='ViolaSwamp']Maybe you're right. I read it as ridicule for those of us first-time HAL cruisers who ask lots of dumb, obscure questions. Perhaps I overreacted... :o[/quote]

[B]Viola....... :confused: I wonder if you have noticed how many times I have answered how many questions for how many years? :confused:[/B]

[B]I think my 'action' (in terms of again and again and again) answering questions has to show I enjoy doing so and am happy to do so.[/B]

[B]Why would you think I am ridiculing someone when I spend hours weekly posting? :eek:[/B]

[B]Sorry you misunderstood my post. [/B]

[B]Thanks. :)[/B]

I do not want to know everything but I find there are things I have discovered on this board that are very good to know and they are things i would not have known elsewhere. For instance, I cruised with Princess three times before I discovered, on this board, about the afternoon free ice cream in the Lido buffet.

I have been reading this site for only three months and this is the goofiest thread so far. Perhaps I just haven't been around long enough. I do not understand why someone's methodology of "getting prepared" for a trip should bother anyone. Up until now I have enjoyed almost every posting. It certainly went down the wrong path. Don't be a downer.

[quote name='STEVENJAN']I have been reading this site for only three months and this is the goofiest thread so far. Perhaps I just haven't been around long enough. I do not understand why someone's methodology of "getting prepared" for a trip should bother anyone. Up until now I have enjoyed almost every posting. It certainly went down the wrong path. Don't be a downer.[/quote]

I don't think it's "bothering" anyone. Some people have been posting here for many years. These are the same folks who patiently answer the same questions over and over again. ;)

I think perhaps some things might be best left as a surprise. :)

I also think the OP was merely posing that question... is it really critical to one's enjoyment - to have every last piece of information about a ship, itinerary, port, cabin, meal, activity in order to enjoy the experience??

I think this is a very interesting thread . Not nosy or bothersome at all.

As far as I am concerned. I like to go where the day takes me. Not be bogged down with too many plans, or "must do's", "must sees" . Especially on vacation.

My first few cruises, I didn't know Cruise Critic from a hole in the ground. But since coming here and seeing all the info that is passed on, I do admit to taking a lot in and keeping it in mind on my cruise as possible options.

As for things like the daily menus and such. I enjoy reading them when they are posted here, But I don't live and die by them.

I will ask for advice about certain things and then weigh in all the comments and that will help me make a decision whether I take that excursion , or go to that place in port or whatever .

But otherwise I pretty mush fly by the seat of my pants :)

Archived