Just Back - Zuiderdam 10/11-10/23

Numbers

As a first time HAL cruiser, I thought it would be helpful to offer my thoughts after returning from this Barcelona to Venice cruise. First, to respond to other threads that I've seen, we did not notice any sewage or other obnoxious smells at any time during the cruise. We also thought that the ship was in fine condition and did not notice any significant wear and tear as others had posted about.

The biggest problem (though not really for us) was a Norovirus (or similar GI problem) outbreak on the ship. Fortunately, we were not affected, and I have no idea how many were, but it was significant enough that the crew put some fairly intensive measures into effect for several days until the problem got under control. I was actually pretty impressed with how the problem was dealt with and thought that the communication about the problem was reasonably good.

I would say that overall, the cruise rated about an 8 out of 10. While we had nothing particular to complain about, I have to also say that there was nothing to rave about either. On every other cruise we've taken, there was at least one thing that blew us away. Can't say that this time - there wasn't anything special, from the service to the food to the entertainment that stood out.

Loved the ports, particularly Livorno (Florence in our case), Dubrovnik, and Venice. Could have done without Messina and Corfu (would have preferred Naples and Santorini instead), but no real complaints there.

Since it was a fairly port intensive trip, it is hard to get excited about the onboard stuff. I would say that our previous Princess, RCL and Celebrity cruises were more impressive from a service and "wow" factor. Would certainly go with HAL again based on a superior itinerary and dates that work for us, but would probably go with the competition if those factors were identical.

Would be glad to answer any questions about our experiences.

I was also on this cruise. I agree about Messina and Corfu - they should've given us more time in Rome and Florence. LOVED Venice though!!!

As far as the virus, I happened to run into one of the medical officers and there were only about 15 at the most that were affected. That's only 1% of the total number.

As far as the ship, I have sailed on Carnival a few times and will be going back to them. My sister was a first timer and she asked where the WOW was. It really wasn't there. There also wasn't any info on the different ports other than to go directly to the lecturers desk. Carnival gives info on each port and then broadcasts it on tv too.

My viewpoint may be clouded because of my age (49). This ship really caters to a much older crowd. Roll back those carpets at 10 pm!

As far as the ship, I have sailed on Carnival a few times and will be going back to them. My sister was a first timer and she asked where the WOW was. It really wasn't there. There also wasn't any info on the different ports other than to go directly to the lecturers desk. Carnival gives info on each port and then broadcasts it on tv too.

My viewpoint may be clouded because of my age (49). This ship really caters to a much older crowd. Roll back those carpets at 10 pm!

The Carnival Corporation does a pretty good job of segmenting their lines and developing products that attract varying interests and ages. Some folks are looking for their partners for life, others like things a bit slower, some want lots of children's activities, etc. I'm sure the corporation would love to have everyone find their best-suited line first try, but that doesn't always happen - perhaps travel agents need to do a better job in those cases.

But part of what I like about HAL is the absence of "WOW"!

By the way, our recent Zuiderdam Med cruise (cruise just before the OP's)had a detailed blurb/map/port shopping every night in our mail boxes outside our cabins - I'm surprised it didn't happen on your cruise, since the Port Lecturer (Tom) did such a superb job on ours (although I don't think he delivers the maps each night to every cabin!)....

For what it's worth, it seems that a lot of the Zuiderdam's crew is/was scheduled to leave for time off after the OP's cruise, or right after the following cruise (the transatlantic underway now). Wonder how that may or may not affect service?

There are usually some hiccups when a "new" crew takes over. Do you have an idea to the extent of the "turnover"?

are there dvd players in each cabin

can i bring my own dvds will they work?

also do they have shampp samples or shampoo in the showers?

how was the food?

how was the entertainment

this will be my 1st HAL cruise over all 26th cruise

i am in the 40's

is it true all cloes up at 10 p.m.

Also do they give your$ papers for participating and you can trade them in at the end of the cruise

thnaks ofr all your help

dana

There are usually some hiccups when a "new" crew takes over. Do you have an idea to the extent of the "turnover"?

I was on the Zuiderdam from Sept 5 to 28 -- Barcelona to Venice and then Venice to Venice. It appeared that a lot of the dining room attendants were ending their contract in Venice on Oct. 23. At least that was what our attendant told us.

There were also a number of cabin attendants that were leaving on that date. I do know that a number of new crew got on the ship in Istanbul and Athens.

From what I could determine, the Zuiderdam would do the transatlantic with quite a few new crew. Hope this doesn't mess things up and that those cruisers have a good trip.

The Zuiderdam was in good shape. The cruise was wonderful.

As for the virus, there were a few at the end of our cruise. My DH ended up being quarantined for 24 hours. This was the last day before disembarkation.

When we did the second half in Venice, I noticed a lot of people that were coughing and sneezing. They were probably sick before they embarked. That was not the case on the first half.

It was still a wonderful trip and would do it again in a heartbeat. I enjoyed it immensely. The few things that did not go right did not in any way spoil the trip. A lot depends on whether you dwell on the things that go wrong or roll with the punches.

It was the trip of a lifetime.

Terri

By the way, our recent Zuiderdam Med cruise (cruise just before the OP's)had a detailed blurb/map/port shopping every night in our mail boxes outside our cabins - I'm surprised it didn't happen on your cruise, since the Port Lecturer (Tom) did such a superb job on ours (although I don't think he delivers the maps each night to every cabin!)....

They did give map but what I'm talking about is an actual Q&A before each port. I got a lot of questions answered by that.

I like the WOW and also like things to do for sea days. It was a trip of a lifetime but...

are there dvd players in each cabin

can i bring my own dvds will they work?

Yes, we had a DVD player - I don't know why your DVD's wouldn't work -- by the way, the library has a fairly good selection of DVD's to loan out.

also do they have shampp samples or shampoo in the showers?

Yes

how was the food?

Pretty good, sometimes very good. Nothing to get really excited about, though.

how was the entertainment

Fair -- somewhat entertaining, but not up to the level we've seen on other lines, particularly RCL.

this will be my 1st HAL cruise over all 26th cruise

i am in the 40's

is it true all cloes up at 10 p.m.

We are in are our early 50s. While there were people in every age group, our cruise did tend to be older than what we've seen on other lines. HOWEVER, this was a European cruise, a 12 day cruise, and during the school year -- all of these factors also influence the average age on a cruise ship. For me, its hard to say how much was due to the fact that it was a HAL ship vs. these other factors. Did it all close up at 10 PM? Not literally, but yes.

Also do they give your$ papers for participating and you can trade them in at the end of the cruise

Sorry - not sure I understand this question.

thnaks ofr all your help

dana

See above comments

I was on the Zuiderdam from Sept 5 to 28 -- Barcelona to Venice and then Venice to Venice. It appeared that a lot of the dining room attendants were ending their contract in Venice on Oct. 23. At least that was what our attendant told us.

There were also a number of cabin attendants that were leaving on that date. I do know that a number of new crew got on the ship in Istanbul and Athens.

From what I could determine, the Zuiderdam would do the transatlantic with quite a few new crew. Hope this doesn't mess things up and that those cruisers have a good trip.

The Zuiderdam was in good shape. The cruise was wonderful.

As for the virus, there were a few at the end of our cruise. My DH ended up being quarantined for 24 hours. This was the last day before disembarkation.

When we did the second half in Venice, I noticed a lot of people that were coughing and sneezing. They were probably sick before they embarked. That was not the case on the first half.

It was still a wonderful trip and would do it again in a heartbeat. I enjoyed it immensely. The few things that did not go right did not in any way spoil the trip. A lot depends on whether you dwell on the things that go wrong or roll with the punches.

It was the trip of a lifetime.

Terri

Thanks!!!

Yup..Hunky Dory very much in evidence on our cruise Sept. 17-Oct. 11.

By the way...re: Norovirus Oct. 11...Not surprised it happened. We were worried about that since we saw many cruisers bypass the Purell stations both returning to the ship after being on shore, and in the Lido and showroom. Usually there has been staff manning the areas insisting folks use the Purell (or whatever brand they use) but we frequently did not see any this trip. My husband, a doctor, also noted that the staff that "squirted" you before entering the Lido, gave too small a squirt to be useful....he always asked for "two squirts".

Jan

Did anyone who recently came of the Zuiderdam notice if Hunky Dory is still on board? Probably would have been in the Lido.

Hunky Dory is alive and well and still on the Zuiderdam. Remembering everyone's name.

After he asked my name the second time--he didn't remember it the first time around--I told him my name was Hotsie Totsie.

Terri

The Carnival Corporation does a pretty good job of segmenting their lines and developing products that attract varying interests and ages. Some folks are looking for their partners for life, others like things a bit slower, some want lots of children's activities, etc. I'm sure the corporation would love to have everyone find their best-suited line first try, but that doesn't always happen - perhaps travel agents need to do a better job in those cases.

Bingo! You hit the nail right on the head. I think most travel agents really do their clients a disservice in this area. They don't really take the time to "pre-qualify" them at all. Just as you say, there are different cruise lines and each offers a product geared to a particular segment of the population. Someone taking their first cruise, especially if they are not really into doing a lot of research on their own, isn't going to know which line would best suit their traveling style. If they walk into a travel agent's office, or contact one on the telephone, they depend on that travel agent to steer them in the right direction. True, which cruise to take is ultimately their own decision, but they should have some intelligent advice offered by someone who is in a position to know what each cruise line offers and how those offerings would suit the travel preferences of the client.

Just asking a few questions of new clients, such as what type of a nightlife are you looking for, what kinds of activities, do you like high energy pursuits, or do you want to pretty much lay back and relax ... would go a long way toward preventing that first cruise from becoming a disappointment.

I was lucky. I just "fell" into HAL because my first cruise was a writer's conference at sea being hosted on a HAL ship. But had that cruise been on, for example, a big RCL ship or an older Carnival one ... chances are I would not have cruised again because I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did the Rotterdam.

But others are not as lucky as me, and I wonder if many get turned off of cruising simply because they picked the wrong cruise line or ship for their first sailing?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks for the reply. Had a few of my Phillipino patients in the office today and asked them to teach me some basic greetings in their language. Thought it would be nice to surprise them with greetings in their own language. Now i hope i can remember them and don't butcher the pronunciations:eek:

Archived