First Time on HAL - 30 Day Cruise - My Review

mikjr

Wow, Mike! You are fast! I haven't even pulled my notes together and probably won't have time until later on this week.

Thanks for the ever so comprehensive review.

I know the Crow's Nest was rather dead late at night, except for when they were having a gala ball up there. Then the place was packed. But most other nights, yeah, a small crowd up there ... especially if Karoke was going on ... but not that many.

I guess I'm no better than anyone else with regard to turning in early. Many nights I was back in my cabin after the early show ... doing some writing ... and then to bed.

There's just something about a HAL cruise ... it is so relaxing ... that you want to turn in early and get your shuteye ... especially with all those wonderful ports on this cruise. You wanted to get out and explore them all ... and not miss a thing.

Again, thanks! It was wonderful meeting and spending time with you and all the other great CruiseCritics!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hope this is not too long… but here it goes anyway:

LOL ... too long? Did you check out my virtual report on "that other board?" When I printed it out, it was about 90 printed pages long. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We had “As You Wish Dining” (AYWD). Now, prior to our cruise I read a lot of unhappy posts about that option. We eat EARLY at home. So that means NO late dining for us. Since early fixed dining was not available for us, we welcomed AYWD. Now, here’s the good news… on the first night, I mentioned to the Maitre D that we were celebrating our 30th anniversary and wanted a table for two… EVERY NIGHT. After the first evening, he automatically sent a card to our room with our table reservation number on it. The same table for two… every night! We were not the only ones that were able to get the same table every night. So I guess we didn’t have an issue with AYWD.

Isn't Kristian (the dining room manager) wonderful? Trisha and I had some minor issues. We did AYWD and wanted to have a table for two a couple of nights. When we walked in, the server told us that all the tables for two had been reserved for the entire cruise and we would have to sit at a larger table. I didn't mind, but the problem was that at a larger table it was taking too long for the meal. Now, I know a lot of people say that dinner on a cruise should be savored, but I'm sorry ... I can't "savor" for over two hours. I get too antsy. Trisha registered a complaint with the guest relations manager. That shouldn't be. If we call for reservations, we should be able to get a table for two ... at least for that night.

Well, the next thing we know, Kristian wants to talk to us. He got the problem resolved. Told us that the information we were given was dead wrong and that he would address the matter with the person who told us that the tables were booked for the entire cruise.

After that, we had a standing reservation for a table for two whenever we wanted it. This is important if you have other things you want to do around the ship, like go to a show or whatever.

The bottom line is that I couldn't believe how responsive they were to our "issue." I just "happened" to be in the Lido that night when the assistant dining room manager came over to me and told me the dining manager wanted to see me. He asked if I had a minute and then he paged Kristian. While I waited, he asked if I wanted anything else (I had just finished a snack). I told him I was fine and was just gonna go and get a cup of java. He wouldn't hear of it. He asked me how I liked my coffee and then immediately summoned a steward to get it for me. He told me "You don't get your own coffee. You're on vacation."

When Kristian arrived (and I had gotten ahold of Trisha) he was very apologetic. He told us it was a misunderstanding, and that he was rotating the tables for two around amongst the people who had expressed interest in them. He would immediately add us to that list. He told us that if anyone told us we couldn't have one, just have them contact him. Then for the rest of the cruise, we had a standing reservation for one anytime we wanted it.

I couldn't believe how responsive he, and for that matter the rest of the Statendam staff, were to any issues that came up. In fact, other people we talked to reported receiving the same level of service, so I know it wasn't just us.

I really enjoyed this cruise and have to say it was my absolute best one yet ... bar none.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Do you know if anyone took the tour in Raiatea w/Bruno? It is a day tour of the island of Tahaa. Am trying to get some feedback about the tour, and how Bruno was, and how punctual he is on returning in time.

We did not pre book any tours for Raiatea, but picked up one at the dock. there's a visitors center with a few locals who conduct tours. We took a 3 1/2 hour tour to the Faaroa River, one of the small motus across from Tahaa, and back around the island. it was only $50 (US) each and was well worth it.

LOL ... too long? Did you check out my virtual report on "that other board?" When I printed it out, it was about 90 printed pages long. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita...

Yes... I did see your report... and I wouldn't expect any less from you! It was a real joy to meet you and hope our paths will cross again.

mike

Hi Rita...

Yes... I did see your report... and I wouldn't expect any less from you! It was a real joy to meet you and hope our paths will cross again.

mike

And it was a joy to meet you as well.

We'll make sure our paths cross again ... count on it!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Van Gogh Lounge:[/b] There were four production shows featuring the HAL singers and dancers. I’m not fond of listening to pre-recorded music with pre recorded voices. There were four lead singers that were actually singing, the rest were lip syncing! That seems to be pretty much what you get with any of the production shows today. But, that’s the way all the cruise lines seem to do it. It obviously keeps the costs down.

I interviewed one of the dancers for my blog and asked him about this. He told me that only the four leads are singers. The rest of the cast are strictly dancers. That's why they don't have mics ... they only lipsynch to the pre-recorded background track. But the four singers (two lead and two backup) actually sing live and that's why they wear mics.

One of the entertainment highlights was the cruise director, Mike Connachan. He was a great MC and was very personable and approachable. The cruise director sets the tone for the rest of the cruise staff, and Mike did a great job!

The only problem I had with Mike was that (1) it did not seem he was very "visible" around the ship. True, he mc'd the shows and the "high profile" events, but I didn't see him wandering around the ship too much, just socializing with passengers. Now, that may be because of staff cuts ... I honestly don't know. Or, it could be because he just didn't happen to be "wandering" in the areas I was spending time in at any given point during the cruise. But I just noticed that I didn't see him too much ... just talking with passengers and being social, which is something that a cruise director should be doing.

And, (2) he was on that pa system way too much. I found there were far more "announcements" on this cruise than I've noticed on any other ... at least three times a day he would come on to hawk activities -- bingo, art auctions, etc. We don't need that. We get daily programs every night. People can read them to find out when and where their favorite activities are being held. In my humble opinion, the only "announcements" that should be made are for last minute changes such as in time or venue of a particular activity, or for very, very special events ... like maybe the Captain's Welcome Aboard Toast or the Disembarkation Talk and Crew Farewell. That's it.

Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Mikjr and Kryos - I am a bit familiar with the seas between Hawaii and California but what was it like between Hawaii and FP? Was it too cool and windy to be on deck a lot of the time? FP is one of our favorite destinations but I wonder if getting to or from there by ship is too rough to enjoy fun in the sun. Thank you both for your review and comments. I am enjoying them.

Cherie

Mikjr and Kryos - I am a bit familiar with the seas between Hawaii and California but what was it like between Hawaii and FP? Was it too cool and windy to be on deck a lot of the time? FP is one of our favorite destinations but I wonder if getting to or from there by ship is too rough to enjoy fun in the sun. Thank you both for your review and comments. I am enjoying them.

Except for some sporadic "movement," the seas were as smooth as glass.

Believe me, I loooooooove rough seas ... and in that one and only respect this cruise was a disappointment for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Except for some sporadic "movement," the seas were as smooth as glass.

Believe me, I loooooooove rough seas ... and in that one and only respect this cruise was a disappointment for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I also love rough seas....but at night. Thank you for responding. I love being out on my balcony or a deck during the day (and night, if weather permits) so I am happy to hear that at least this time of year the seas are calm. Cherie

Mikjr and Kryos - Was it too cool and windy to be on deck a lot of the time? FP is one of our favorite destinations but I wonder if getting to or from there by ship is too rough to enjoy fun in the sun.

Cherie

Cherie:

Rita is right on... a bit bumpy out of San Diego, but the rest of the cruise from Hawaii to FP and FP to SD was non eventful. And the weather was suprisingly better than I've experienced before coming back into SD.

Rita

He told me that only the four leads are singers. The rest of the cast are strictly dancers. That's why they don't have mics ... they only lipsynch to the pre-recorded background track. But the four singers (two lead and two backup) actually sing live and that's why they wear mics

It seems that all of the cruiselines are doing it this way now... being a musician of 40 years, I don't care for the canned music. I enjoyed it much more when the Statendam band played for the shows. LIVE music is best... but I do understand it keeps production costs down.

The only problem I had with Mike was that (1) it did not seem he was very "visible" around the ship. True, he mc'd the shows and the "high profile" events, but I didn't see him wandering around the ship too much...

And, (2) he was on that pa system way too much. I found there were far more "announcements" on this cruise than I've noticed on any other ...

Just my opinion ... --rita

We were on one cruise last year (not HAL) where the only time you saw the CD was on stage at the shows, not even at special events! He was rarely visible. This guy was a ghost!

On the other hand, we were on the Island Princess a couple of years ago where the CD "David Cole" had his hand in everything. He did comedy and music sketches with his staff, and led all the events. He actually dressed up for the theme nights and sang! He was the best we ever had. And, he had a cruise staff of 6 young people that were outstanding!

I think Mike was somewhere in between, which was fine with me.

As for the announcements... I've heard this concern before... they can get a bit irritating!

One thing I didn't mention in my review... I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of theme nights. I mentioned the Island Princess with David Cole. during that cruise, they had a 50s night, a country night, and a disco night. This was more than just music being played by the DJ, but the cruise staff, including the CD, David Cole, dressed in costumes and led all the events. Even passengers dressed up for every event.

NOW... given the age of passengers on our cruise, I'm not sure how much participation there would have been. And, I'm not sure Mike had the full complement of staff that was on the Princess. I think this is one area that Princess has over HAL.

mike

Hello Mikjr. Enjoyed your review, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and views.

We are going to be in San Diego in Feb and are booked at one of the Holiday Inns...was wondering which one did you stay in that is located across from the cruise terminal?

You will love the Panama Canal - we did the repositioning FLL to VANC on Zuiderdam - it was FABULOUS!

Happy cruisin!

Hello Mikjr. We are going to be in San Diego in Feb and are booked at one of the Holiday Inns...was wondering which one did you stay in that is located across from the cruise terminal?

Happy cruisin!

It's called the Holiday Inn On the Bay. It is right across the street from the cruise terminal. It's a bit pricey for a bay view... around $200/night, but we wanted to see the Statendam come in that morning.

Here's their website

http://www.holidayinn.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/sanem?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/hi/1/en/hotelsearchresults

Thank you MJR for the name of the HI you stayed at in the bay at SD. Went to website and is pricier than the Old Town Express which has been recommended to us by our TA. We have not been to Old Town before, so we'll stay there on this trip.

Thanks, happy cruisin!

Archived