Anyone Speculating? Mariner Society.....

sail7seas

[quote name=

They really don't need to do anything more than give us the cruise experience we come back again and again for. The Luncheon or Show Lounge Traditional Party is nicely done and we enjoy whichever is offered on each cruise.\

JMHO......

Its not about the mariner luncheon, we have enjoyed that. Its about reaching different levels and milestones. It is there that they need to use some imagination. I have long felt that the crew on the ships ( from top to bottom ) do an exceptional job, and it is the home office that tends to show no imagination.

In the current economic climate the cruise lines will have to show real imagination and creativity. We all want HAL to survive and prosper and it is for this reason that constructive critizism is needed.

For those of you wondering what to do with your medals, here's an idea. We went to Halloween party yesterday. We went as Mr. and Mrs. Cruiser. My DH has a loud blue and white flowered jacket he got years ago in St Thomas. He wore that with a pair of blue-framed sun glasses. I donned my blue caftan from Turkey. And we both wore our medals. I had pinned on the blue ribbon the little pins that you get along with the medals. Well, we didn't know too many folks at the party, but our medals proved a conversation starter as people came up to say that they also had cruised with HAL.

Perhaps, HAL might add another level between the platinum level (700 days) and The President's Club level (1400-1500 days) because there are so many returning passengers with really high numbers. Then give rewards based on the levels such as 30 minutes of internet time for 300 day medalists, 50 minutes of internet time for 500 day medalists, etc. One item pressed per each 7 day segment if you are a 300 medalist, two items if you are 500, etc. That is the way Regent does it.

If they go to increasing the days for each medallion level then that person, in the home office, should get a pick slip. I can't think on anything that could be more stupid then that. That person probably read Catch 22 too many times.

What they need to do is some jesture, other than give them a medallion, made in China. They could provide them with a free Pinnacle dinner or a free coupon booklet. Something would be nice.

On Saterday we leave on on a cruise that will take us to 300 days. If we had not gone and after the first of the year they had raised the bar to 350 I would not be a happy camper, b ut then again Seattle does not really care about its loyal customers.

Congratulations for achieving your next level!

For those of you wondering what to do with your medals, here's an idea. We went to Halloween party yesterday. We went as Mr. and Mrs. Cruiser. My DH has a loud blue and white flowered jacket he got years ago in St Thomas. He wore that with a pair of blue-framed sun glasses. I donned my blue caftan from Turkey. And we both wore our medals. I had pinned on the blue ribbon the little pins that you get along with the medals. Well, we didn't know too many folks at the party, but our medals proved a conversation starter as people came up to say that they also had cruised with HAL.

Very clever. Great costume idea!

Perhaps, HAL might add another level between the platinum level (700 days) and The President's Club level (1400-1500 days) because there are so many returning passengers with really high numbers. Then give rewards based on the levels such as 30 minutes of internet time for 300 day medalists, 50 minutes of internet time for 500 day medalists, etc. One item pressed per each 7 day segment if you are a 300 medalist, two items if you are 500, etc. That is the way Regent does it.

When we've discussed such things as free dry cleaning and such in the past, it always comes up that those of us who are in "S" cabins already get included pressing/laundry/dry cleaning in the price of our cruises. So, if we are in an "S" cabin and we have 500 days, we get nothing that we haven't already paid for.

I still maintain the best idea is cash if they are going to offer something more than what now exists.

OBC or additional discount off future cruise predicated on how many days one has.

While Mariner perks are something to strive for, they have nothing at all to do with our choice to cruise Holland America. Sure, it's fun to get a pin or a medallion and a luncheon - but changes to the requirements for those things will have no impact on us. Likewise, free internet would be nice, but we're happy to pay for what we use. We cruise HAL for two reasons.

1. The crew - absolutely fabulous, no matter which ship we're on.

2. HAL is the perfect fit for us. Plenty of the stuff we love, and none of that which we would find distasteful.

You said it for me, too!

LoyHAL

I still maintain the best idea is cash if they are going to offer something more than what now exists.

OBC or additional discount off future cruise predicated on how many days one has.

I agree. :)

It was speculated (I stress, speculated) awhile ago that the Mariner Program might emulate Princess' Captain's Circle in offering free internet access after achieving a certain level. I have no idea whether or not that may be implemented, or if it's even still a possibility.
I sure hope not. If free internet is offered, then internet speed will slow to a crawl. HAL has great internet speed right now, probably because a lot of people don't bother with it while on a cruise. But if it's free, then just about everyone who qualifies (read a good percentage of the people on each cruise) are gonna be on it, and that will slow response time down considerably.

I would have no problem with suite passengers getting some free internet time because there are only so many suites on each ship. But I'd hate to see Mariners get it because there are considerably more of them and that number alone would slow the internet down to a crawl.

The only time I experienced anything but brisk internet response times was on the last day of my cruise, when presumably a lot of people were in the Explorations Cafe printing out their boarding passes for their flights home the next morning. The internet in my cabin slowed down to a crawl during this period, but of course that was understandable.

I have always said Mariner perks should be cold, hard cash -- in the form of nice discounts on future cruises and/or OBC credit for future cruises. If HAL wants to increase the number of days sailed to qualify for the better credits and discounts, so be it. But the rewards should not involve free anything. Those perks should apply to the suites, and for those passengers willing to pay for unlimited laundry, internet time packages, etc.

Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Congratulations on making it to the next level on your up-coming cruise before the rules change.

I'm distressed to read that they're upping the days required for the categories. :( By the end of 2009 I will have completed 230 days on HAL, and had hoped that 2011 would be the year I would make my 300 Silver ranking. By tacking on 50 more days it will take me until 2013 or 2014 to make Silver. :(

I'm distressed to read that they're upping the days required for the categories. :( By the end of 2009 I will have completed 230 days on HAL, and had hoped that 2011 would be the year I would make my 300 Silver ranking. By tacking on 50 more days it will take me until 2013 or 2014 to make Silver. :(

We are just about in the same category as you. Right now we have 478 days. At the end of our Eurodam cruises we will have 492 days. We are booked for 20 days on the Noordam next February. But IF the days are changed to 550 for the next medal -- then we won't be getting them. We have only 1 other cruise booked with HAL and it won't be enough to get us to 550. After that -- there isn't any itinerary that interests us so we have no other future cruises booked on HAL.

I have now decided that HAL will be my line of choice and have 2 more cruises booked. We always book VA as that puts us aft with a big balcony. I would appreciate a more tangible gift as a Mariner. Celebrity gives you a very nice bag in Concierge class and canapes nightly. HAL could do the same for Mariners where ever they book a cabin. A bar set up would be nice if you sail 50 days or more. Refilling it after 100 days. Or a real nice cocktail party for each level. Even a t shirt or cap would do.

I have now decided that HAL will be my line of choice and have 2 more cruises booked. We always book VA as that puts us aft with a big balcony. I would appreciate a more tangible gift as a Mariner. Celebrity gives you a very nice bag in Concierge class and canapes nightly. HAL could do the same for Mariners where ever they book a cabin. A bar set up would be nice if you sail 50 days or more. Refilling it after 100 days. Or a real nice cocktail party for each level. Even a t shirt or cap would do.

Getting canapes nightly would not be a perk for this Mariner!! We always book Delux Suites and we can get them every night if we wanted them -- it's included in our price.

The cocktail parties that HAL used to have instead of the Lunch were very nice -- and at one time we could order any drink we wanted. Also many years ago -- they were held in the evening on a formal night when everyone was dressed up.

Steve, those Canapes were not edible although we had a cheese platter delivered on Celebrity each afternoon (which you can order on HAL).

My only big comment to HAL (I know Seattle is reading) is to not take things away from Guests in order to give them as perks to return passengers. That is exactly what Celebrity does that turned me off. In order to pre-book the specialty restaurant on Celebrity you need to be a return guest. In order to be invited to "Behind the scenes tours" (which on HAL are open to all such as the Galley Tour) you need to be at least Select (5 past cruises) or Elite (10 past cruises). Unless you were part of the Captains Club with 5 cruises on Celebrity Century you could not go to the dining room for afternoon Formal tea! It is the biggest reason we will likely not cruise with them again. Oh, and they offered Select members the $20,00 all you can stuff laundry bag while on HAL that is available for all (and only $15.00 in Europe this summer).

Ok, I think free internet will work (since it is not included in any cabin category) and I actually like coupons for some logo items because HAL's are really nice.

Steve, those Canapes were not edible although we had a cheese platter delivered on Celebrity each afternoon (which you can order on HAL).

My only big comment to HAL (I know Seattle is reading) is to not take things away from Guests in order to give them as perks to return passengers. That is exactly what Celebrity does that turned me off. In order to pre-book the specialty restaurant on Celebrity you need to be a return guest. In order to be invited to "Behind the scenes tours" (which on HAL are open to all such as the Galley Tour) you need to be at least Select (5 past cruises) or Elite (10 past cruises). Unless you were part of the Captains Club with 5 cruises on Celebrity Century you could not go to the dining room for afternoon Formal tea! It is the biggest reason we will likely not cruise with them again. Oh, and they offered Select members the $20,00 all you can stuff laundry bag while on HAL that is available for all (and only $15.00 in Europe this summer).

Ok, I think free internet will work (since it is not included in any cabin category) and I actually like coupons for some logo items because HAL's are really nice.

Thanks for all the information on Celebrity. We have never sailed on them so just learned something new.

Where did you read or hear they are upping the number of days needed to achieve each medallion level? I'd like to read that announcement. I'd be interested in hearing the authority who said so???

I've not seen anything like that.

Has anyone else?

We are just about in the same category as you. Right now we have 478 days. At the end of our Eurodam cruises we will have 492 days. We are booked for 20 days on the Noordam next February. But IF the days are changed to 550 for the next medal -- then we won't be getting them. We have only 1 other cruise booked with HAL and it won't be enough to get us to 550. After that -- there isn't any itinerary that interests us so we have no other future cruises booked on HAL.

Have you read or heard they are upping the number of days needed to achieve each medallion level??????

I'd like to read that announcement. I'd be interested in hearing the authority who said so???

I've not seen anything like that.

Has anyone else?

Have you read or heard they are upping the number of days needed to achieve each medallion level??????

I'd like to read that announcement. I'd be interested in hearing the authority who said so???

I'll start by saying I think the number of days needed to reach various levels will again change as it did the last time. Maybe it will be 150 days to get Copper Medallion, 350 0r 400 days for Silver Medallion etc
My guess would be people misinterpreted your first message in this thread and missed the highlighted word. Perhaps there are some posters who believe that with your HAL connections, of whom you often speak, that you may have already heard this information as fact?

My guess would be people misinterpreted your first message in this thread and missed the highlighted word. Perhaps there are some posters who believe that with your HAL connections, of whom you often speak, that you may have already heard this information as fact?

Speculation. Sheer speculation.

I reread what I wrote......seems pretty clear I am speculating.

I do think HAL should reform their Mariner's Program. I hit the 25 day mark this summer (I know, small potatoes compared to most people on this board... but, I'm working on it) and I didn't even get my pin. This isn't a huge deal, as we were about to move and it could have been lost in the chaos anyways, but it did frustrate me that HAL didn't seem to care about getting me my pin (I made a note on my Mariner's Brunch invitation that I should receive it also). The brunch is nothing special, aside from them giving out free wine which is a nice perk.

Mariner's Society is probably the most "basic" frequent guest program I have seen. DCL gives all return guests a nice gift, Princess, Carnival, and Royal have varying levels of "perks". For example, I am sailing on RCL in March (we can drive to the port) and with my whopping 10 days (2 cruises) I will get a gift (apparently a hat) and a coupon book with quasi-valuable coupons (free wine tasting, BOGO drinks, Johnny Rockets Cover Charge, etc.). I think HAL could easily offer a decent coupon book (not to be confused with the value books they were giving out this summer - a free glass of champagne when you purchase a $50 bottle of wine isn't really a deal).

Don't get me wrong, I love HAL, and I think their service and ships are usually top of the line. On our cruise this summer we had only a few minor issues, and other than that everything was lovely. Their lack of repeat guest benefits won't stop me from sailing with them, but it would be nice to see a little more recognition (especially for those of you who have sailed more and could have free internet/laundry/etc. on other lines):)

I don't know. This awarding of medallions is nice, but I book a HAL cruise for the joy of taking one ... not for accumulating days sailed for a medallion.

If they up the days, fine. At least for me, it doesn't matter. Just don't ever change the ambience onboard and all those little HAL touches. Then I would be distressed.

Just as a sidenote, I got my copper medallion on this past cruise. The next level, as it stands now, is 300 days (Virgil and Trisha got their 300 day medallions at the same ceremony on the Statendam). I was joking with Trisha (only half-joking, mind you) that it would take me at least five years before I'd be getting another. I just can't cruise as often as they do because I still work.

But that doesn't bother me ... not as long as everything on HAL stays the same ... the ambience, the cleanliness of the ship, the fine service, the same wonderful hangouts that I so enjoy, such as the Ocean Bar.

As for medallions, they are nice ... but not all that important as far as I'm concerned.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Will be replaced with clocks.

LOL ... that guy really tickles my funnybone.

At work we have a joke. I tend to be a bit "tardy for the party" most nights. The guys keep threatening to get me one of those clocks on a chain ... to wear around my neck ... so that maybe I'll be more cognizant of shift start times. :)

Of course, they don't consider the fact that I tend to stay over well beyond the end of my shift everyday ... but that's another story. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Don't get me wrong, I love HAL, and I think their service and ships are usually top of the line. On our cruise this summer we had only a few minor issues, and other than that everything was lovely. Their lack of repeat guest benefits won't stop me from sailing with them, but it would be nice to see a little more recognition (especially for those of you who have sailed more and could have free internet/laundry/etc. on other lines):)

HAL would go broke if they gave all those perks to repeat guests. The problem is that, especially on the longer voyages, almost ALL of the guests onboard are repeaters. I think I recall being told on my Statendam cruise that there were about 1200 repeat guests onboard. The ship only holds about 1300!

Unlike many of the other cruise lines, HAL doesn't have to give these sorts of "perks." They give the service that those other lines don't match. That's the past guest perk right there. The rest is just gravy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't expect anything much with the 'new' Mariner program. As others have said, there are just too many Mariners on board each cruise to make it feasible. However, I don't see the Mariner Luncheon as a "nice touch". They have to offer lunch anyway and the menu we had was VERY limited (only 2-3 entrees to select from). Plus, my salmon was way overcooked. We went to the lido for lunch afterward. :rolleyes: If I go to another one, it will be because of the company of friends, not for the Mariner 'perk'.

Archived