Raratonga

seafish

you do need to get a DL, 10.00NZ at the police station. we rented a car so cannot comment on renting a scooter, but I know that the car rental place was about a 1/4 mile from the pier, and they gave my husband a ride back to the pier when he returned the car. they do take your pic for the DL. you will need your US DL. we didn't rent ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Raro and Atutaki for several weeks 2 yrs. ago and rented scooters on both islands. Yes, you are supposed to have a driver's license for scooters as well as cars. We just rented one scooter and rode double on it. It was great! I'm not sure what you'd do about a license if you're only there on Sunday. Maybe check on the Internet to see if there's a local website where you could ask. I know that we were told the fine is pretty stiff if you're caught driving without a license (and we ran into a road block one day where they were checking--glad my DH had gotten a license!)

Archived