Curling Iron

Ok, so it looks like the naughty room thread was removed....just as we were having fun!

I did have a legitimate question though.....

Will I have my curling iron confiscated if I bring it? I know you aren't supposed to bring irons, but it never occured to me that my hair's best friend would have to be smuggled in!

Thanks all!

Why is one heated electric appliance allowed, and not another????

But, yes, bring all the curling irons, flat irons, electric curlers, etc... that you want!

Because they have significantly different current draws, the word iron doesn't make the amount of power they use identical. It isn't the heat of the appliance, as everyone assumes, it's the power draw on the ship's wiring, and the possibility of starting a fire in the ship's wiring inside a bulkhead.

Ok, so it looks like the naughty room thread was removed....just as we were having fun!

I did have a legitimate question though.....

Will I have my curling iron confiscated if I bring it? I know you aren't supposed to bring irons, but it never occured to me that my hair's best friend would have to be smuggled in!

Thanks all!

Yes, you can bring a curling iron and it will not be confiscated.

Laura

Because they have significantly different current draws, the word iron doesn't make the amount of power they use identical. It isn't the heat of the appliance, as everyone assumes, it's the power draw on the ship's wiring, and the possibility of starting a fire in the ship's wiring inside a bulkhead.

Ok, i'll bite. This is why when the draw becomes too heavy, it will trip a breaker. Modern electrical systems are a great thing.

Not gonna start a fire in the manner that you are speaking of.

Tip for the curling iron....

Bring a small pot holder with you so you can lay the curling iron on the counter while you are using it :)

Good idea... I always wrap mine in a hand towel from home so if it is still warm after I use it , it won't melt anything in my luggage.

Ok, i'll bite. This is why when the draw becomes too heavy, it will trip a breaker. Modern electrical systems are a great thing.

Not gonna start a fire in the manner that you are speaking of.

Breakers don't have a single setting either. The load determines the trip time, there's a long time trip that is very close to the number on the breaker, 20 amps for instance, and intantaneous trips. They can also have thermal and/or magnetic trips, I'm not sure what the ship is equipped with. Fact is that you can operate very close to the limit on the breaker for a long time and not get a trip. Modern electrical systems are a great thing, but it's because they're created from the mistakes of the past, and we're still operating with tried and true technology that's been around for a long time. Fact is, clothes irons pull a lot more current than a curling iron, and it's overheating the wiring that is a concern, not setting fire to your towel or bed sheets that you're ironing on.

Oh, please. That's ridiculous. They just want you to spend your money having things pressed FOR A FEE by them. It has nothing to do with wiring or breakers or anything except $$. And the fact that they don't supply ironing boards--their cabins are too tiny to fit a small ironing board!

If that were true they wouldn't allow 1800 watt blow dryers while disallowing 1200 watt travel irons.

Wow, and all I wanted to know is if I could bring my curling iron, not only did I get an electrical draw-wattage lesson but I also started a pretty heated discussion about it.......

Hmmm....wonder if I could come up with another question that is so polarizing?

Tip for the curling iron....

Bring a small pot holder with you so you can lay the curling iron on the counter while you are using it :)

Great tip...

Smuggling booze, teen hottie hunts & smoking on balconies are all good polarizing topics... :D

..And don't forget COFFEEeatdrink059.gif

I usually smuggle a clothes iron on board, and set it on the chaise lounges by the pool reeeaaal early in the a.m. This is a great way to save a chair all day long, even if i'm not planning on going to the pool. It's not a fire hazard because of all the water close by.

Coffee is polarizing? Coffee is the elixer of life....how can that be polarizing. (love the smiley)

There was a thread a while back (search is down so I couldn't find it), somebody wanted to know why the cruise lines all used "crappy" coffee - it got pretty intense and had several hundred posts

Wow, and all I wanted to know is if I could bring my curling iron, not only did I get an electrical draw-wattage lesson but I also started a pretty heated discussion about it.......

Hmmm....wonder if I could come up with another question that is so polarizing?

Hehehe. Try bringing a diapered baby into the swimming pool. :eek:

2P.P1

Archived