keeping the level of anticipation high

I am taking my grandaughter on her first cruise next year. I am looking for ways to keep her excited while waiting for the trip. Does anyone know of good books about cruising which would be appropriate for a 9-10 year old?

Any ther ideas would be helpful too.

hanks

Marcia

I just did a search at www.bn.com using the search terms "cruising" and clicking on the "BN Jr" section

There are all kinds of books for kids and cruising....even some mystery books if she is into that.

My other thought was to get her a book about one of the ports. Something that is age appropriate.

Another thought, you can get a Caribbean calendar (if that's where you are going)...you can fill out the calendar with a countdown...just write the number of days left till her cruise. She can hang in it her room and put X's on it every day to countdown.

For the holidays, you can get her some items for the cruise...a new beach towel or a beach backpack. You can get her some cruise clothes or give her a gift card to go shopping for the cruise. :)

And remember, after the holidays all of the formal wear goes on sale. So keep an eye out for formal gowns (if she likes dressing up).

I am taking my grandaughter on her first cruise next year. I am looking for ways to keep her excited while waiting for the trip. Does anyone know of good books about cruising which would be appropriate for a 9-10 year old?

Any ther ideas would be helpful too.

hanks

Marcia

Marcia,

On our trip to Alaska, we used binoculars all the time. They can be tricky to use, especially when one needs to hurry, so as not to miss anything. Get out the binoculars now, and practice using them with your grandaughter. It will help keep her excited, and she will be a pro by your adventure.

Have fun! Donna

Does she already know about the trip? If not, I'd suggest NOT telling her just yet. A year is a long time for a child that age to maintain excitement. I'd vote for telling her 3-4 months ahead of time.

Another idea -- rather contradictory -- is to use these boards to help her find a couple kids her age who'll be on the cruise and set her up to email with them. I did that before our last cruise (had their parents email me first, and I was copied on all emails -- I'm nervous about my daughters corresponding with people we don't know in real life, but it was all fine). One of my daughters really struck up a friendship with one of her email buddies, and -- as luck would have it -- she was only three doors down from us on the cruise.

Archived