Cabin Upgrade

pmso

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this experience. We are cruising on the Navigator on Dec. 1, 2008 and I noticed the price of balcony cabins dropped to the point where it would only be $60 p/p more for us to upgrade from a PR cabin. I called RCCL twice yesterday and was told that this price was for new bookings only and that I could not upgrade to this cabin, despite the fact that I would be paying extra. I cannot understand the logic, there are quite a few empty cabins, but they are unwilling to allow existing bookings to upgrade:confused: . Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

-Pat

Sometimes they offer "specials" to help fill the ship. You've already booked--moving you won't give them the numbers they need, therefore, the "special rates" are only given to new bookings. Not much you can do about that, except cancel and re-book, if you won't lose any money doing that.

Unfortunately with the sale specials which are for new bookings only, they do tend to hold the line and enforce that new bookings only requirement.

What you can do is keep watching and they may offer something like a residency special at a later time which is not for new bookings only.

I called yesterday because I saw that a large interior stateroom was $20 cheaper than we paid for our original inside guarantee booking. I asked if we could get that since it was a lower price and the agent at RCI said, "Sure, no problem, everything else stays the same".

I log back into my reservation and notice it was not the deck we asked for and we now owed $140. I called back and explained to another agent what I had called for originally. She told me the price drop was for new bookings only (of course I didn't read the fine print) but she'd put me back into the guarantee pool. Told her that was great, no problem.

I checked about an hour later and our guarantee had been re-assigned for the larger interior stateroom on deck 7, moved up from deck 2. I have a feeling that the second TA took pity on my stupidity, but I'll never know.

So it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for the replies. Both agents I spoke to especially the second seemed confused, putting me on hold to ask someone else several times. I was told I could upgrade to a balcony guarantee for $220 more, but not the D3 cabin for $120 more. I was told this was because there was an askterik next to the D3 cabin, indicating new bookings only. When I told them there was the same askterik next to the balcony guarantee I was told it was a mistake by their webmaster. I was also told to keep checking for new special rates that may apply to our booking, but that seems unlikely given we are 35 days out from sailing.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this experience. We are cruising on the Navigator on Dec. 1, 2008 and I noticed the price of balcony cabins dropped to the point where it would only be $60 p/p more for us to upgrade from a PR cabin. I called RCCL twice yesterday and was told that this price was for new bookings only and that I could not upgrade to this cabin, despite the fact that I would be paying extra. I cannot understand the logic, there are quite a few empty cabins, but they are unwilling to allow existing bookings to upgrade:confused: . Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

-Pat

Yes, pmso, unfortunately those specific reduced prices were for new bookings only...I called to doublecheck on my 12/21 Cruise as well. It's possible that once that promotion is over that the rates will remain low with no restrictions. At least we can hope! I don't believe if you had booked with a TA that you would have had any better luck.

Good luck!

Archived