Identification for Kids under 12??

ciship

I know that my kids have to have a certified copy of their birth certificate, but they also need a picture id don't they? They have their picture id's that the school does every year for their protection in case (God forbid) something happens to them. Is this good enough, or do I have to get something from the state offices?

I don't know how much travelling you do, but both of our kids have passports, and although unnecessary for cruises originating in the U.S., they sure make coming and going much more expedient. And . . . if you ever decide on the spur of the moment to buzz over to Paris for lunch, you're all set!;)

I just received my 23 month old daughter's passport and we leave 12/17 on RCI. Even though we're not required to have passports for this cruise (Bahamas) I wouldn't take her out of the country without one, after a horrific border crossing Canada/US with my boys years ago even though I had 2 copies each of their birth certs - raised seal and all. They harrassed us for nearly an hour saying the boys didn't look like us and why were we in two cars - ummm, it was an extended family vacation and all 9 of us wouldn't fit in one car? And the boys look a lot like their dad and me. A LOT.

We adopted our daughter from China this past January and we're Caucasian so we look nothing alike. Without a passport for her, I'd be having nightmares every night ;)

Passports are the best IMHO, its a pain to get them and they do cost money but they do make it simple. When my children were very little like age 3 I can remember an Immigration Officials (either going to or from one of the islands) asking them innocent questions like "Who that?" and pointing to me and my husband.

This was with passports, I looked at it in a good way, they care careful with young children.

If you have a different last name than your child bring supporting documentation for that as well.

My daughter has a passort as well. She was also born in China and I wouldn't even consider taking her out of the country without it. The passport is easier to deal with as well. We've had problems with people reconizing an "Official" birth certificate, but have never been questioned with our passports.

If you have time, get the passport.

Photo ids are only required for kids ages 16 and up at the time of sailing. A state issued birth certificate is all that is needed. (not the one from the hospital)

I sail quite often with my boys who are not 16 years old yet and have always been asked for phote id. for the children. Both boys have passports so this has never been a problem.

I sail quite often with my boys who are not 16 years old yet and have always been asked for phote id. for the children. Both boys have passports so this has never been a problem.

The information I got was directly from Carnivals web page. I states nothing about children (even in canada) should need a photo ID. Now what would happen if you didnt have one?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

• 3 weeks later...
... and although unnecessary for cruises originating in the U.S. ...

That is not entirely correct. For all sailings originating in the State of Hawai'i and stopping at Fanning Island, a valid passport is required for all passengers.

From the NCL website:

" ... as well as cruises from Hawaii calling at Fanning Island, The Republic of Kiribati. Passengers on these cruises must have a valid passport to travel on NCL."

Our family went to Victoria BC three years ago and I wanted my girls (11 & 9) to have a picture ID if when they said we didn't need one. I went down to the Drivers licence office and got a State picture ID for each of them for only $6. Now that we are going through the passport process those ID's have made it much easier. So if you don't have time or don't want to spend the money for a passport right now a state id is a great (and easy) place to start.

That is not entirely correct. For all sailings originating in the State of Hawai'i and stopping at Fanning Island, a valid passport is required for all passengers.

From the NCL website:

" ... as well as cruises from Hawaii calling at Fanning Island, The Republic of Kiribati. Passengers on these cruises must have a valid passport to travel on NCL."

I was thinking of the typical Caribbean cruises. We've cruised Hawaii, but flew into Honolulu and only cruised the Hawaiian islands themselves. Additionally, our kids have passports because we do other travel internationally, so there actually may be other exceptions that I'm not aware of. I just know that on our last few cruises, many of our fellow passengers just had a birth certificate, etc., and it definitely seemed to slow their time through customs.

How long exactly does it take to get a passport? My cruise leaves 2/23. Is that enough time?

Just "renewed" my daughter's week of October 18th (technically for a child under 16, it is not renewed, you reapply). We are in Northern WI, so the paperwork went through the Chicago office - we got it in Friday's mail (11/26). Did not expedite or anything. That was really quick turn-around!

The Post Office indicated that it should be six to eight weeks at this time of year. Time to process will vary - best case scenario: if both parents are US born and child US born, office you go through is not too busy, and if time of year is not too busy. My cousin, whose wife is from a Central American country, and whose daughter was born in South America - says her's always seems to take forever!

1) Need to apply in person - Mother, Father, and child.

2) Need to apply at Post Office in your area designated to take Passport applications (very few PO's are).

3) Need to apply during passport "hours" (vary by PO)

4) Need two passport quality pictures of child (I go to my AAA office, they are very throrough about making certain the photos meet the specifications) - don't just do your own.

5) Need certified copy of child's birth certificate

6) Need photo ID for both parents.

7) Need official form completed (obtain at that PO or on-line)

8) Expect the process at the PO to take a while. They will ask you questions.

Is it worth it? Yes, I've traveled with my daughter extensively. We are not far from the Canadian border, and I can tell you "even" getting in and out of Canada is much easier with the passport. On our last trip to Vancouver, my family was through customs in far less than half the time as my sister, her husband, and son - who think passports are "a waste of money unless you are going to Europe" - but of course my family looks much more trustworthy than her's:D !

My apologies, Cheryl. I had no possible way to know what you were thinking - I only could read what you actually wrote.

Sorry for my faux pas. I thought I knew what I was talking about, but I guess I didn't. I will say this, however - It has been my experience that it is much more expedient to have a passport when travelling (to get through customs, onboard ship, etc.). Thanks for pointing out my error regarding the Fanning Islands. I wouldn't want to give anybody misinformation. Happy cruising! Cheryl

Our school district takes photo ID's of our kids each year with their fingerprints, etc. and laminates them like a drivers license....I am going to take these as an extra measure along with their birth certificates when we cruise in March.

Archived