Continental Airlines "shrinks" carry on allowance

seafun

A warning to anyone flying Continental after November 1st 2008:

I just noticed on their website -- and confirmed it with one of their Customer Service Reps a few minutes ago, the size allowed for carry ons (heighth + length + width) goes from 51 total inches to 45 inches.

That knocks out my garment bag by a few inches!! Maybe yours too! I've flown Continental the last few cruises because they gave you those extra few inches.

Suddenly that garment bag will become an additional piece of checked luggage! Cha-Ching!! :(

Hope this helps some of you make other plans for packing, and avoid a very unpleasant surprise at the airport! The website says the "third" piece of luggage would cost...

get this, $100.00 each way!! :eek:

Maybe that's why we're seeing less tuxes...

I've rarely seen them measure anyone's carry ons so I'd be surprised if they really enforce the smaller size requirement. Of course, it could get them more revenue by making people check more bags at $$ per bag.

I purchased my April flight for my cruise before they started the $15 each way for your FIRST checked bag. I've got an e-mail stating that the charge would not apply to my flight since I did book before the new rule went into affect. I'm definitely bringing a copy of that e-mail with me to check in. It's bad enough I'll have to pay $25 each way for a second bag.

It seems like everyone is trying to nickel and dime you to death now. I was at Arby's a couple weeks ago and they were charging $.05/pack of ketchup if you wanted more than 2 packs.

I just noticed on their website -- and confirmed it with one of their Customer Service Reps a few minutes ago, the size allowed for carry ons (heighth + length + width) goes from 51 total inches to 45 inches.

We're gonna be seeing a lot more restrictions in this area too, I don't doubt it.

What's the point of adding charges for checked bags if you're gonna make it possible for people to bring almost all of their luggage on the plane as a carryon? You have to basically force people to check just about everything they are bringing for their trip so that they pay more baggage fees in either overweight charges or second/third bag charges.

I was fine on United with my flights going out to the west coast, but got zinged nicely on the way back when my main piece of luggage just barely made the weight allowance (by about six ounces) and I got charged $25 bucks for the second bag I was now bringing home.

In a way, this could be a blessing in disguise, though. It's gonna force us to learn to travel light which means we just won't be able to bring all manner of stuff on our trips. I know I've already figured out that there's certain things I won't die if I don't have, and have made a note of them for the next cruise. I'll definitely be traveling a lot lighter in the future. There were just too many things I brought along that I only used maybe once or twice and could have easily done without.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That knocks out my garment bag by a few inches!! Maybe yours too! I've flown Continental the last few cruises because they gave you those extra few inches.

Suddenly that garment bag will become an additional piece of checked luggage! Cha-Ching!! :(

Hope this helps some of you make other plans for packing, and avoid a very unpleasant surprise at the airport! The website says the "third" piece of luggage would cost...

get this, $100.00 each way!! :eek:

Maybe that's why we're seeing less tuxes...

Will a 22" roller work?

This will put a damper on the guy in front of me,who has to use a hydraulic jack to get his bag in the overhead.

Air_Hydraulic_Jack.jpg

Hey, that gas powered blender for Veranda frozen margaritas is darned heavy, and I sure don't want to trust it to the checked luggage gorillas!:D

Archived