cruise air--Minneapolis to LA

YooperGale

Hi,

I've asked this question before but never received an answer--maybe because no one has the answer. Anyway, I'll try again and post this on several different boards.

Has anyone ever booked air through a cruise lines (Carnival in particular) from Minneapolis to LA?

If so, what time did youflight leave Minneapolis?

What airlines did you use.

Did you get to LA in plenty of time for your cruise?

How many layovers did you have?

We have tentatively booked air through Carnival as it is significantly less expensive than booking our own. We would have to book two one-way tickets---Minneapolis to LA and Miami back to Minneapolis.

I do have one more question.

If we ask Carnival to book our flights two days in advance, would that cost $50.00 per person---or would it be considered twodeviations (or whatever they call it) andf therefore cost $100.00 per person?

Thank you very muchfor any informationyou can give me.

Gale

Please read this sticky that will give you information about cruiseline booked air.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

You are correct; this has no answer, despite what others may post. No one can tell you what flights you would have. You could take any airline and have flights at any time. The flights another person may have received in the past have no relevance to your flights.

Cruisecritic seems to have no rules about crossposting or spamming the boards, but you certainly have posted this question many places, and already received answers to this question on 05 Oct:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854500

You would need to find out from your TA what the deviation fees would be. The fees start at $50 and vary from there depending on what you want. Rugrat6 is right........the flights/airlines will not necessarily be the same as what others have been assigned.

Just think of Cruise Air as a grab bag....airlines throw unused seats into the bag and the cruise lines pull out as many as they need. Even the cruise line has no idea what carrier or flight you will get. Nor do they care as long as you get to port on time (and they are not legally responsible for even that!). They also don't care if your flight from LA to Florida connects in DFW then ORD with 3 hours on the ground at each connection. Their only interest is getting you to the ship as cheaply as possible using "scratch and dent" inventory.

First of all,

Was cruise line air less expensive than booking it on your own? 90% of the time it is less expensive NOT to use cruise line air. I also suggest flying in the day before your cruise and spend the night in a hotel. I really have to stress that flying in the day before even more during the winter weather season and you know it can snow as late as May in Minnesota and April snow is not uncommon here.

LA and Miami areas each have several airports so I would suggest checking prices for all of them even if it means flying into Bob Hope and out of LAX. Kayak.com is a good website for checking this.

Cruise lines use most major airlines so it could be anyone. It might also be worth while waiting for Southwest to release their schedule from MSP and check 3 one-way flights. They don't charge for the first two checked bags (you can also bring a carry-on as well so you can call it 3 bags) or for aisle or emergency exit seats

I just moved to Minneapolis from Baltimore and know Southwest very well as I have flown them over 100 times. I'm really looking forward to seeing them here soon.

Hi 6 Rugrats,

Perhaps I am taking you wrong, but you seem somewhat annoyed I have posted the question more than once--and in more than one place. Please bear with me if that is the case.

It's just that I am trying to get as much information as possible. I know that no individual experience will match exactly what mine might be.

However, you never know when someone who did not see a previous post (or a post in a different place) might have useful information.

Thanks,

Gale

Going on the Pride are we? Well, if I was trying to get to Los Angeles, I would not start in Minneapolis. :)

Okay, I just did this cruise in February aboard the NCL Jade. Since I live in Los Angeles I did not have to fly here (I hired a car to take me to the pier). I purchased my own one way flight from Miami back to Los Angeles and took a taxi home.

The reason I purchased my own flights home is that I would never trust any of the cruise lines to book my air for me, even if it was less. As it was, I did end up buying two oneway tickets because I wanted to spend the weekend at my sister's house (we docked in Miami on a Friday). My sister lives in Texas.

By doing some careful shopping I was able to book the oneway flights (Miami to Texas and Texas to Los Angeles) for a very reasonable price. I recommend that you do the same.

I believe that this cruise takes place in the winter time. I also believe that it snows in Minneapolis during the winter time. For that reason, you might want to consider leaving Minneapolis two or even three days early, to avoid missing the ship because a big snow storm closed the airport. I would also be looking at connecting flights (unless Northwest offers a non-stop between Minneapolis and Los Angeles) that are not in snow bound cities (for example Dallas and Houston make better connecting cities in the winter than Chicago and Denver do). The choice of connecting cities is another reason I would rather pay extra for two oneway flights than to allow the cruise line to book me on United (for example) through Denver or Chicago.

Even in February (when I took this cruise) Panama was very hot. In fact the only day people were not laying out in the sun was the last sea day before docking in Miami.

I really enjoyed the trip through the Panama Canal, and look forward to doing it again some day. I hope you got a balcony. I had a forward facing balcony and I had a great view. You can see my photos of our trip through the Panama Canal by clicking on the link below ...

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562720921fzjepy

You can also read my review if you like (again by clicking on the link below). Granted, it is a different cruise line, but if you go to day nine (a little more than half way through the review) you can read all about the day spent going from the Pacific to the Caribbean ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38933

Hi Cruizer 2,

Thanks for your response. We are looking at Minneapolis because we have no flights from close to home (Waaaaay up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.) The only other possibility would be Green Bay--and then we would still go through Chicago.

If the weather is bad, we will be "up a creek" no matter where we fly from. That's why I wouldlike to get to LAX on the 20th of March, with the cruise leaving on the 22nd.

Iam really looking forward to the cruise--in spite of the heat.

Thanks for the info.

Gale

Not annoyed; just confused as to why you would keep posting the same question for which you had already received very good and complete answers almost a month ago.

OK.

I'm curious. Are the 6 rugrats children or grandchildren? My husband and I have 5 children and 10 grandchildren.

Gale

Thanks for your response. We are looking at Minneapolis because we have no flights from close to home (Waaaaay up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.) The only other possibility would be Green Bay--and then we would still go through Chicago.

There are plenty of airports for a Yooper to fly from without the 300 plus miles of driving to MSP. NW has service from Sault Ste Marie, Marquette, Hancock, Escanaba and Iron Mountain, to name a few. Likely that you can get service on other carriers too.

If you insist on taking cruise air, I'd be looking at Green Bay....likely closer drive and cheaper parking. If you're in the cruiseline air lottery, why not take the ones sure to be closer to home? And you wouldn't necessarily go through ORD as there are NW flights through MSP or DTW.

I think you are focusing only on gateway cities listed by the cruiseline. Cruiselines do not buy tickets from all cities, but from those that they anticipate demand. Consider the time, effort and cost to drive to MSP, parking costs (have to be higher at MSP) and possible lodging.

I am aware of all the airports you mentioned. I have not checked all of them, but those I flights from those I have checked (including my home airport--Hancock) are much more expensive than from a hub.

The person I spoke to at Carnival told me they do not fly from Green Bay.

Believe me, I have spent hours on the internet.

Booking through Carnival, we canflyfrom MSP to LAX and back from MIA to LAX for $1,048.00 for the two of us. Nothing I can find comes close to that.

Are you a Yooper who has left the area? (I'm curious because you seem to knowthe UP.)

Thanksfor your input.

Gale (from Lake Linden)

quote=FlyerTalker;16825704]There are plenty of airports for a Yooper to fly from without the 300 plus miles of driving to MSP. NW has service from Sault Ste Marie, Marquette, Hancock, Escanaba and Iron Mountain, to name a few. Likely that you can get service on other carriers too.

If you insist on taking cruise air, I'd be looking at Green Bay....likely closer drive and cheaper parking. If you're in the cruiseline air lottery, why not take the ones sure to be closer to home? And you wouldn't necessarily go through ORD as there are NW flights through MSP or DTW.

I think you are focusing only on gateway cities listed by the cruiseline. Cruiselines do not buy tickets from all cities, but from those that they anticipate demand. Consider the time, effort and cost to drive to MSP, parking costs (have to be higher at MSP) and possible lodging.

Gale, as of a few hours ago Delta has completed it's takeover of Northwest. That will just about guarantee changes.

I generally do not recommend cruise air but your fares seem reasonable. Have you discussed the cost of a two day deviation with your TA or Carnival? That is where you will find the answer to one of your questions.

Travel insurance would also be a wise thing to have, particularly if you are booking cruise air, which really does not guarantee much of anything.

I hope you find your flights and can relax and plan your cruise.

I would also be looking at connecting flights (unless Northwest offers a non-stop between Minneapolis and Los Angeles) that are not in snow bound cities (for example Dallas and Houston make better connecting cities in the winter than Chicago and Denver do).

The only nonstops from MSP to the LA area are NW to LAX or SNA, and Sun Country to LAX. Sadly I wouldn't count on bankrupt Sun Coutry being around much longer especially into LAX. That leaves NW. Since the distance to Carnival's docks in Long Beach are about the same travel time from either airport, pick the airport with the better fare or schedule (probably LAX but sometimes SNA "wins").

That way you are free of weather issues once you depart MSP. If you do choose a connecting flight, a friend who is an AA pilot says Chicago and northern hubs can be better than DFW, ATL, etc. That is because the more southern hubs take a lot longer to get back to full ops than ORD and MSP. (Of course IAH is a safe bet in winter).

Elag--Southwest comes to MSP in March. They will fly into Midway and then to LAX. I can't wait for them to move here! After using Northwest and Southwest, SW beats Northwest in price, comfort and with wonderful, happy employees.

Another Minnesotan

Nancy

In the winter? :confused:

Yes

DFW/ATL, almost all the southern hubs are more subject to ice storms than the NE/Midwest airports. NY/Chicago/Minneapolis/Detroit handle the snow darn well and planes can take off on snow packed runways. I NEVER book a flight in the winter that connects in DFW, even though I fly AA about 100,000 miles per year. Just too many chances of an ice storm where NOTHING moves.

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the info. I woulddefinitely flyin the day before--preferably two days before.

Thanks again,

Gale

Take a look at Orbitz

Fly March 20-MSP to LAX, then MIA to MSP on April 5 after noon.

Combination of NW/AA flights. $554.49 per person, good flight times. Just slightly more than what the cruise line is charging for SAME day arrival. With JUST the air deviation fee, the flights on Orbitz are CHEAPER. There could possibly be a large upcharge with deviation tickets. I doubt this itinerary will be available long at this price (due to Spring Break/Easter out of MIA/FLL), but it is bookable NOW.

Fri, Mar 20 Depart: 7:05 am Minneapolis, MN (MSP) Northwest Airlines 311

Arrive: 8:55 am Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

Sun, Apr 5 Depart: 1:15 pm Miami, FL (MIA) American Airlines 671

1 stop

Arrive: 7:20 pm Minneapolis, MN (MSP) American Airlines 1344

Gale, as of a few hours ago Delta has completed it's takeover of Northwest. That will just about guarantee changes.

What happened yesterday is that Justice gave the green light to the merger. That was essentially the last hurdle. Changes -- oh, yes. But incrementally over the months. Here's what a NW rep to the Flyertalk website said (mostly to reassure concerned NW ff's):

No change will occur to your WorldPerks and/or SkyMiles accounts and you can continue to earn and redeem miles in either program. In late 2009, we expect to merge the WorldPerks and SkyMiles programs and more information will be available soon. WorldPerks members can continue to book award travel at nwa.com and SkyMiles members can continue to book award travel at delta.com. For more information regarding the merger between Delta and Northwest Airlines go to nwa.com or delta.com.

Take a look at Orbitz

Fly March 20-MSP to LAX, then MIA to MSP on April 5 after noon.

Combination of NW/AA flights. $554.49 per person, good flight times. Just slightly more than what the cruise line is charging for SAME day arrival. With JUST the air deviation fee, the flights on Orbitz are CHEAPER. There could possibly be a large upcharge with deviation tickets. I doubt this itinerary will be available long at this price (due to Spring Break/Easter out of MIA/FLL), but it is bookable NOW.

Fri, Mar 20 Depart: 7:05 am Minneapolis, MN (MSP) Northwest Airlines 311

Arrive: 8:55 am Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

Sun, Apr 5 Depart: 1:15 pm Miami, FL (MIA) American Airlines 671

1 stop

Arrive: 7:20 pm Minneapolis, MN (MSP) American Airlines 1344

At $277 each way, I would wait for Southwest to release the fares. SWA will only fly to Chicago from MSP. (They don't fly to Miami but there are plenty of shuttles from Miami pier to FLL.) Just pick a flight after 2pm. coming back.

They haven't released anything about MSP yet because it is a new city but the spring schedule comes out November 6 so I would look for it then.

I would have thought Chicago would be closer to you than MSP so if you do pick Chicago, they would be non-stop flights which cuts off about 90 minutes of flying time each way.

As FlyerTalker said, parking at MSP isn't cheap and they are raising the rates in 2 months to $20 per day. You might want to look at Midway's parking rates to see if that makes a difference as well.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. A friend from Minneapolis told us she knows of a place (hasn't give us specifics yet) where you can park a car MUCH cheaper than at airport and they will drive you to and from the airport.

We do need to get more info on this.

Gale

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. A friend from Minneapolis told us she knows of a place (hasn't give us specifics yet) where you can park a car MUCH cheaper than at airport and they will drive you to and from the airport.

We do need to get more info on this.

Gale

http://www.mspairport.com/msp/Parking/default.aspx is the parking website at MSP. Humphrey terminal is a couple dollars less than Lindbergh and there is a free train ride between terminals.

There are a couple parking lots run by private companies that will shuttle you to the airport but I have never used them. Google 'MSP airport parking' for more info.

I live 15 minutes from the airport and catch Super Shuttle on trips more than a couple days.

Archived