Carnival Imagination - Upper or Verandah deck cabin?

cooncat_mom

Hi! TOTAL Newbie here! My daughter (grown) and I are thinking about taking our first cruise in January. We're looking at a 4 day to try it out, and I found I could get a pretty good price on the Imagination for either a suite on Verandah or a Penthouse on Upper. Was wondering if anyone had opinions on which might be better? I've heard the lower decks don't have quite as much motion, but I'm not sure how they'd be for noise levels. I've done the Scotia Prince to Canada when it was still in service and had no trouble with the motion, but HATED the inside cabin, so a window is a must!

Am reading the boards and learning a lot. Thanks!

It is all personal preference. I prefer to be closest to the water so the lower the better. I also almost only book aft balconies as I love them.

I have never been in a suite, penthouse of otherwise.

Enjoy your cruise. My youngest daughter and I have a Mother/Daughter cruise each winter and love that too.

Hi! TOTAL Newbie here! My daughter (grown) and I are thinking about taking our first cruise in January. We're looking at a 4 day to try it out, and I found I could get a pretty good price on the Imagination for either a suite on Verandah or a Penthouse on Upper. Was wondering if anyone had opinions on which might be better? I've heard the lower decks don't have quite as much motion, but I'm not sure how they'd be for noise levels. I've done the Scotia Prince to Canada when it was still in service and had no trouble with the motion, but HATED the inside cabin, so a window is a must!

Hello.. :) I sailed on the sister ship "Inspiration" this last February And I had a Cat 12 Penthouse while a friend of mine had a Cat 11 Suite on the Verandah Deck. Take my word on this !! Go with the Cat 12 ! My friend spent most of his time down in my suite as it was SOOO Much nicer.. From the walk in closet to the MUCH Bigger Balcony (The Cat 11 Balcony is only 3 Feet Wide:eek: ) There is also a Huge Bathroom with a Jet Tub and a Big seating area that was much more comfortable.. CAT 12 in a heartbeat over the 11 on these ships..:)

First of all, click on these thread/links for pictures, info, and reviews of both of those cabin categories...

Category 11 (Verandah Deck)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=298868

Category 12 (Upper Deck)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6392925

I love them both for different reasons, but I think that the Category 11s are much better for "couples".

For a mom and daughter, take the Category 12 if the price is not that different.

Just be prepared that you'll be spoiled!:D

We were on Empress deck,E-8, last Feb and didn't have any problems with the motion.

We had an interior recently on Veranda deck, I asked the couple across the hall how the liked their balcony room, they were disappointed with the balcony. They showed it to me, very small from front to back. To sit comfortably you would have to turn the chairs towards each other. Otherwise it was a nice room.

We had an interior recently on Veranda deck, I asked the couple across the hall how the liked their balcony room, they were disappointed with the balcony. They showed it to me, very small from front to back. To sit comfortably you would have to turn the chairs towards each other. Otherwise it was a nice room.

I agree, this was the smallest balcony we have ever had.

Thanks for the help...you've twisted my arm! If we book (hope we do!) it'll be the Cat 12! We actually like to spend some quiet time in our rooms when we do land travelling so the larger room would probably be better. We're hoping we like this because we have our eyes on a European cruise for next year.:o

Hello Everyone,

Mary Ann and I have been in both the Cat 11(Veranda), and Cat 12(Penthouse Suite...which are on the Upper deck). There are plus' and minus' to both. Certainly the Cat 12 Room and Balcony are MUCH nicer than the Cat 11.The whirlpool tub is ok, but it was pretty small, We didn't even use it. The walk in closet....hehe. Maybe you can walk in 1 step, but we put our bags there and the term walk in wasn't applicable anymore. A DEFINITE minus is that the Cat 12 suites are in the middle of the Upper deck, where hall traffic is plentiful(definitely a minus compared to the "out of the wayness" of the Veranda Cabins). Although the room and balcony was smaller, we definitely felt we had an exclusiveness on this deck being that there's so few cabins and you're on the top "cabin" deck, and the outer deck directly below your balcony is where the "secret door" leads to, so that you hardly ever see anyone walking below you when you're out on the balcony.

Bottom line..Really, how much time do you plan to spend in your cabin when you're on a fabulous cruise and sooooo much is happening out on the decks?.....and is the price difference worth it?

maybe yes, maybe no. I do know that once you have a balcony cabin you won't want to go back to inside/ocean view when(not if) you go on your next cruise..That's for sure...

My advice?!?........

For example.... the Imagination cruises on the 26th(to Key West and Cozumel..a trip we've made twice on the Ecstasy...GREAT vacation). You can buy a Cat 12 for $649 apiece...a Cat 11 is $549 apiece....but you can get a guaranteed suite for $499 apiece

Get the Guaranteed Suite and save $50 apiece(don't forget to put that extra $50 to good use during your vacation!!). Less than Veranda pricing!!,... AND you can hope that you're pleasently suprised like we were when we got the Penthouse Suite(U69) last January 28th.....That was a GREAT suprise when the documents came!!! Did my "Document Dance" for 1/2 hr!!!

Just remember that you'd be getting a suite no matter what.

Just my 2 little cents.....and anyone feel free to chime in about my suggestion if you have anything to add.

Gary aka cruisin USA

A DEFINITE minus is that the Cat 12 suites are in the middle of the Upper deck, where hall traffic is plentiful(definitely a minus compared to the "out of the wayness" of the Veranda Cabins). Although the room and balcony was smaller, we definitely felt we had an exclusiveness on this deck being that there's so few cabins and you're on the top "cabin" deck, and the outer deck directly below your balcony is where the "secret door" leads to, so that you hardly ever see anyone walking below you when you're out on the balcony.

Gary aka cruisin USA

I just want to say a big "Thank you" Gary, and welcome you to the F.C.V.D.C ;)!

I think that it's very few people who realize and appreciate the quietness and exclusivity of those cabins (count me and Drew's Wife in there).

True the Category 12s on the Upper deck are larger (and probably better for families), but those Category 11s on Verandah are so great for couples!

Those little balconies can be more exclusive and "private", than a lot of the ones on the larger ships where everyone and their mother can "look down" on you into your balcony at any time.:eek:;):D

Nice to know that someone else "get's it"...

I'd love for you to do a review on the Category 11 thread here:

CJW,

WOW you are allot of help. I have been on this forum for a long time and I just now ran into your post. It is very nice of you to spend so much time answering everyones questions. We have V14 on Sensation in a couple of weeks for my 50th B-Day. My husband wants to upgrade to cat 12, but there aren't any left. You have made me feel better about my cat 11 room. This is our first Carnival cruise. My sister and brother-in-law are coming to the party and this is their first cruise. They have an OV room.

These balconies are not like to ones I have had before on RCI. We will enjoy just having a balcony to drink coffee in the morning (don't know if I will feel comfortable in my robe like I usually do). Thanks for all your help.

Hey is that really you on the picture? If so you look too young to have taken that many cruises you lucky dog (Ha):)

CJW,

WOW you are allot of help. I have been on this forum for a long time and I just now ran into your post. It is very nice of you to spend so much time answering everyones questions. We have V14 on Sensation in a couple of weeks for my 50th B-Day. My husband wants to upgrade to cat 12, but there aren't any left. You have made me feel better about my cat 11 room. This is our first Carnival cruise. My sister and brother-in-law are coming to the party and this is their first cruise. They have an OV room.

These balconies are not like to ones I have had before on RCI. We will enjoy just having a balcony to drink coffee in the morning (don't know if I will feel comfortable in my robe like I usually do). Thanks for all your help.

Hey is that really you on the picture? If so you look too young to have taken that many cruises you lucky dog (Ha):)

You are more than welcome!

Feel free to ask any questions about those cabins here, or on the Category 11 thread here:

V14 on Sensation is a great location!

They are absolutely great cabins, if you look for the positives and not the negatives.

Here is what is great about those...

#1 It is the deck and cabin location with the absolute least amount of "people" traffic.

You'll see people around there on the sailaway time, but barely at all after that.

#2 The most convenient location on Fantasy Class ships.

So easy to get to and from the Lido deck, food, and activities.

#3 The best location on the entire ship, to stand out on your balcony and watch the stars at night.

Even though, some people keep comparing them to the newer ships, you just can't. It's more intimate and personal.

Yes, it is the same size (about) as the balcony cabins on bigger ships...

But, you have far less people, and when you compare it to the OV cabins, it will be just fine and big compared to those...

I have never had a problem hosting a small group party in there, and starting some "toasts" out there on that wonderful little balcony!:D

Don't forget that you have the fantastic spa showers that everyone forgets about in easy access...

And it's super easy to order some room service to the cabin, have some drinks, and go back and forth to the big deck out front the rarely used front hallway door!

Enjoy!

:cool:

PS That's not me in the picture, but I look similar. I'm extremely blessed in the fact that my parents started me cruising since I was but a wee baby, so I've been cruising all my life!

CJW,

Thanx for your kind words. I do post reviews from time to time (on other subjects), and I just might print a crusin USA's "LONG and LENGTHY" review of our cruise Feb 28th on the Destiny. (although Falkcor has written a FABULOUS review of his recent trip). We're going to be on the SPA deck....only 18 cabins on that deck....that "exclusiveness" thing again......They just converted these "family" cabins to have balconys (so I know the rooms are just about new), right next to the SPA! ,and they were $10 apiece less than a GT balcony!! (Smart shopping prevails again...woohoo)

I also returned to tell cooncat_mom that I forgot to point out that if indeed they did get a Penthouse Suite from a GT, that it would give them a savings of $150 apiece!!!!....$300.00!!! That's might be your entire bar/photos/souvenier bill for the whole trip.....

I'll end this post with words that the transfer driver from the pier to the airport told us. As we were leaving the pier, the driver was on the microphone talking about the ships that we were passing. He said......

"There are people on those ships who paid a lot more than you to cruise, and you all had just as good as time as ANY of them!....and Carnival doesn't pay me to say that!"

Have a GREAT cruise, and try to hit the "Secrets that Carnival Doesn't Tell You" thread. It has some GREAT advice for first time(or more) cruisers.

Gary aka cruisin USA

Archived