Newbie to Disney Cruising

Pinevalleyite

I had a few questions about the Disney Magic. We are going in Jan. of 05.

Is it worth going on excursions when at the ports?

Is soda included for the kids?

Where can you buy wine for consumption in your room? Is it better to bring it from home?

When you eat at the adult restaurant, where do the kids eat?

If we're going with another family who booked their cruise separately, can we still be seated at the same table throughout our stay?

I hope I can help you some. Excursions depend on you. St. Thomas we booked the Atlantis submarine through DCL. It was a lot of fun. We basically got dropped off at the dock by the tender and fended for ourselves (I say this because we were anchored in the bay not docked, most times the Magic docks right at Havensight). So we would have been fine booking on our own. In St. Maarten we just used the all day water taxi ($5 adults/children free) and went to Great Bay right in Philipsburg. Then returned to the ship to shower, change and have lunch. Then went back for some shopping. So its up to you and your comfort level whether you would want to do an excursion or explore on your own. But I do say get off the ship at least for a little while.

Soda is free to all with meals and at the bevarage station on Deck 9. Room service and bars there is a charge for soda.

I did not buy any wine, but I do believe there is a list to choose from. It may even be on the disneycruise.com website. They will then keep it chilled for you and bring to you for dinner each night.

The kids can eat in the clubs while you are at Palo's, unless they are older and want to go to the dining room or Topsiders. There is always room service as well.

Just tell your TA to link your reservations and you should be all set. You will be together for all activities that way. Dinner seating will be assigned accordingly for you all to be together for each restaurant. 10 is the largest table to be seated at.

Have a great cruise.

I had a few questions about the Disney Magic. We are going in Jan. of 05.

Is it worth going on excursions when at the ports?

Is soda included for the kids?

Where can you buy wine for consumption in your room? Is it better to bring it from home?

When you eat at the adult restaurant, where do the kids eat?

If we're going with another family who booked their cruise separately, can we still be seated at the same table throughout our stay?

Worth it? It's up to you.

The cruise excursions can almost always be done by yourself by booking directly with the tour operator in advance*. It's less expensive and more flexible. BUT... When you book your excursion through the cruise line, it's easy. You meet somewhere on board and they literally walk you to the busses, water taxis etc. to get you through the excursion. You also have some "broken-down bus" insurance in that if an excursion is late returning to the ship, they will hold the ship for you or send a tender to pick the excursion group up. If you're on your own and your taxi breaks down, you could be in for more adventure than the brochure advertised.

* Some excursions like the Dolphin Encounter will occasionally fill-up with cruise line passengers long before the public gets a shot at them. If this happens, then you'll have to book through the Line.

My advice to new cruisers who are nervous about this is to book your first cruise excursion through the Line and perhaps do something simple on your own. If you're an Amazing Race type of person who isn't afraid of jumping onto a rickety bus with more goats and chickens than humans and just a few local gazoonies in your pocket, then go ahead, wing it. To me anyway, the getting down there with the locals adventure is the best part of travelling.

But I digress...

Wine. It's better to bring it from home or buy it ashore. It's twice as expensive on the ship. If you do carry it aboard, they will nail you for a $20 or $25 corkage fee if you want to drink it in the dining rooms. Even if you already have the cork out, you'll have to pay. This is one of my peeves. It's just a slap in the face to the passenger and it makes them look cheap.

The kids can eat wherever they want except at Palo. When you're at Palo they can eat in Topsiders, your regular rotation table, room service, Plutos, Pinocchios or with the kids in the Club if they are in there.

Your and your friend's reservation can be linked so that you'll be assigned the same table. Tell them when making the reservations.

Archived