Luggage limit on Alaska Land cruise tours?

Knightro

Asked in post #9 and answered in post #11.

If you only have one suitcase and one carry on for both land and cruise portion, then obviously, you don't have a second to separate out for the he land and sea portions. You would take your one suitcase and one carryon n both portions and tag accordingly.

We'll only have one suitcase a piece and one carry on a piece and as such will not be sending a separate bag onwards for ship only, makes no sense for us, we won't be packing that much.

You don't have to have a second bag for ship only, in whatever order you do the tour. It's a convenience offered to have one bag sent forward to the ship while you don't land portion with the other or vice versa. If you can fit your clothing and essentials in one suitcase and one carry in for both portions, then it's a non-issue.

Just to clarify this a little bit. Your carryon cannot be the typical wheeled 19" - 21" bag that most folks typically take on board a plane and stow in the compartment above your seat. It must be smaller so as to fit under your seat on the train. As a result, depending on how much you pack, you may need to consider sending your wheeled carryon to the ship if you are not able to limit yourself to the small tote/backpack type of carryon for the duration of your trip.

Just to clarify this a little bit. Your carryon cannot be the typical wheeled 19" - 21" bag that most folks typically take on board a plane and stow in the compartment above your seat. It must be smaller so as to fit under your seat on the train. As a result, depending on how much you pack, you may need to consider sending your wheeled carryon to the ship if you are not able to limit yourself to the small tote/backpack type of carryon for the duration of your trip.

Post #15, from PIA1913, "Yes it will. I had my 21" wheelie under there. Your backpack would be smaller, no?" in response to a question about small wheeled carry on and the train...

Post #15, from PIA1913, "Yes it will. I had my 21" wheelie under there. Your backpack would be smaller, no?" in response to a question about small wheeled carry on and the train...

Although Pia is certainly a recognized authority on these boards ;), her post is 4 years old. That may not mean anything but I have done a bit of research on this topic recently as my sister is taking a cruise tour in August and I'm her primary source of information. :D

Everything I've read from the Princess website and on Cruise Critic, other than the aforementioned post #15 has indicated that a standard wheeled carryon will not comfortably fit under your seat on the trains. I wouldn't suggest risking it but it's obviously not my decision.

I will be doing a 4-5 day land tour (Princess - Kenai) in Alaska prior to our Southbound cruise. A friend mentioned that there is a luggage limit of 1 piece of luggage while on the land portion due to space availability on the buses. Is this true?? Do they store the other pieces until you arrive to board the ship?

You can take one large piece of luggage person and a small carry on (e.g. backpack or tote). The large cases are shipped by truck to the upcoming lodge/hotel, so it doesn't travel with you. The train in the only worry as this has to slide under the seat. Although there is more than 4" under the seat, it's easier to get it in and out at that height. 4-5 hours on the train needs to be as comfortable as possible.With the buses, you have racks above for the backpack/tote.

We found the transfer of luggage very good.