Duty free shop

cruisnmomof2

Duty free shop is located at the ship's dock area. Items sold are duty free (no taxes), but do read up on duty free limitations before you shop. Employees at the Cozumel duty free store want to sell items and aren't always the best source for import limitations on duty free items.

On our first cruise we asked an employee what our limit for duty free import was on cigarettes. He told us twice the amount that is legal. We believed him. I smoked myself crazy for two days before we got back to the states thinking a custom agent would nab me when we disembarked in Miami. Customs was not interested in checking our luggage after all, but by the time I realized that my legal cigarette limit was in control and my lungs were way out of control.

No promises, but:

Customs officer never even looked at our declaration upon return to U.S., but just snatched it out of the hand of the fast-moving bellman taking our luggage and us to the pickup area.

Even if we'd been responsible for duty, it's not all that much -- e.g., 2% of the purchase price on any liquor over one liter, or $2 per $100 of purchases over the limit. You can save far more than that on some items. Shop smart.

We were on the Elation in October & docked at the Puerta Maya pier. The duty free shop is actually on the pier & you walk through it to get to dry land. There's more than one pier in Cozumel, but I don't know anything about the others. If you attend the shopping talks, you will be given info on duty free shopping.

Archived