For those that stay on the ship, I have to ask....

retnuh281

We no longer get off the ship for Grand Cayman been there done that to many times, the same for the private island. The more we cruise the more the ship becomes our distination. If we do get off the ship it is for a couple of hours and then we head back.

We will be going on Freedom end of Nov and will be doing Eastern Carib, have not been there in a long time so we will be getting off the ship for those ports. Besides how many times can you go to Diamonds International

It is a matter of taste. My husband and I both lived in foreign countries for over thirty years. We lived in Africa, South East Asia, Europe and two different countries in South America. We traveled so much in those years, saw a lot and learned alot. We even went through a successful revolution and several unsuccessful attempted coups. Hubby was once held hostage by Communist labor "negotiators" and had to make a daring escape with some other company directors. Truth to tell after over thirty years, I have had enough.

I don't care much to leave the ship in ports. Yet, my husband wants to get off the ship no matter what the port. I do not share his enthusiasm, however I do often accompany him so he doesn't ahve to travel alone, but I usually can't wait to get back to the ship.

I love being on the ocean. Also the ship seems like a shelter in port. But as the OP can see, it all depends on the person, what they want from a cruise, what they want from travel abroad and so on. Each to his own.

Another thing too. We live one half mile form the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. We can and do go anytime. But the experience of being on a ship out in the ocean is so special and a time I cherish.

Living 20 minutes from a cruise port, we cruise often. It is convenient not to have to spend time and money flying somewhere. But it means going to the same Islands over and over.

I really do enjoy having the run of the ship when it isn't crowded.

As far as the private islands, I live by the beach, so I can go to the beach anytime. And none of the food that is served on the island barbeques is food that I desire to eat. On a cruise this year, I stood in the food line for about 15 minutes (it wasn't moving) and realized that I didn't want any of the food that I watched go by on people's plates. I just wanted a cookie, but didn't want to wait any longer for one. So we packed up and went back to the ship and had whatever we wanted for lunch.

We mostly stayed onboard during our 2 days docked at Kahului (Maui) on our Hawaii cruise. This was because we visit Maui for at least several days (and as long as 2+ weeks, which is still not enough time) every land trip we take to Hawaii. We had just spent 5 days in Lahaina before the cruise, Hilo was the day before (busy, busy day for us as we toured the Puna region on our own, even driving over the lava bed roads past Kalapana before the new flows destroyed parts of the pseudo-road), and we always enjoy a sea day or 2 (Hawaii-only itinerary; no sea days). We left the ship once to pop over to the store and then just parked ourselves on the ship. It was really nice to have the ship so quiet and open.

I'm certain that some frequent or long-term cruisers who've been to St. Thomas (for example) 20 times would prefer to have a day onboard without the crowds (who are mostly on the island).

beachchick

Addressing the OP's question...

It's a beautiful thing when you have an entire ship to yourselves (practically). Ahhhh...no chair hogs to deal with, the buffet is empty with no long lines, it's so easy to find a quiet spot to just relax, great deals on spa treatments.

There are some ports that have no interest to us. Been there, done that sort of thing. Sometimes we get off the ship, walk around the pier and get right back on the ship.

Archived