For those that stay on the ship, I have to ask....

retnuh281

We get off in almost every port--except Nassau. There's reallly nothing there that interests me! I'm not into the "excursion" thing, and the beaches there....well, staying on the ship while it's virtually empty is nice! You have your pick of lounge chairs, and waiters galore!

Now, in most other ports, we find something to do--but we cruise for the ship more than the destination.

When I first started cruising I would never have dreamed of not getting off the ship...but then 1 cruise turned into 5, then 10 and so on. And then RCCL came out with the voyager class ships...and once you have been to the islands enough you start to enjoy other things. I have found myself staying up much later and and getting up so early to have to get off in port. The ship is pretty much empty on port days so the time up by the pool is wonderful and the staff are very attentive to the few that are left.

I still enjoy cruising, but like I said I just try to do different things and take advantage of other things on the ship that you cant usually do when you have to get up early or have to be off the ship early.

When we were in St. Martin last year we went off the ship for about an hour and decided to treat the rest of the day as a sea day. Our reasoning was that we had been there before, we will likely be there again as several cruises stop there and perhaps the biggest reason being that we were on a port intensive cruise and just wanted an extra day to relax.

We like to sail out of Galveston because it is an easy drive to the port although we stay the night before in Clear Lake area of Houston. We are not beach people due to our fair skin. We always arrive the night before just in case and it allows us to get into the vacation mood before boarding. We usually do not get off in the Caymans because there is not that much to do there and we have been there many times before. We did not get off in Jamaica due to the political and environmental situation. We just do not need the hassle and don't like being treated that way - to each their own. It is fun on the ship because the majority of pax are gone. No crowds, chair hogs or screaming kids - just peaceful bliss.

On the other hand we have been to Cozumel many times both on the ship and land based and have seen most of the island. Yet we still get off and go down to the plaza to enjoy the atmosphere, do a little shopping and enjoy some adult refreshment sitting outside watching the people pass by. We do like Cozumel and its laid back "island time" philosophy.

I'm a jewelry fanatic and can't stay out of the stores, have spent way too much money on jewelry for the wife and she doesn't really like it, although she's getting better about it. We are going on the Explorer for 12 days and will not set foot off the ship. Bought Emerald ring and earrings in Cartegena on the Panama Canal cruise and had to cross my heart I'd buy no more jewelry.

We do enjoy the ship very much especially on port days, Spa is very cheap especially if your willing to to press the manager for deals. Love the $50 Massages.

Where can you go on vacation and live like a king for so cheap. $2,351 for 12 days includes everything plus we got $300 OBC. Especially now with the crazy economy, we've taken a big hit in the market and being retired have no way to replace the lost funds. Wonder if it'll ever fully recover.

We've done a number of the 3/4 day cruises on Monarch and are very sad she's now gone. We'll have to do short land vacations now since we won't cruise on Carnival - the only current choice.

On the 4 day cruise the ship stopped in San Diego and Catalina, both lovely places to visit. On the 3 day cruise, the only stop is Ensenada and, no thanks, it's just too icky there for us. We tried it a couple of times and couldn't wait to get back to the ship.

This is the only cruise where we chose to stay onboard, everywhere else we've cruised we will get off for at least a few hours.

I must second the been there, done that way of thinking. We are planning on going on the Oasis of the Seas in the summer of 2010. It will be my third time on all of those islands, and besides climbing the waterfall, I have no plans on exiting the ship.

When I went on my first cruise, I was so excited to be going to all of those fabulous places. However, I couldn't help but be disappointed in the western Caribbean countries. They all seemed very touristy, run down, and kind of dirty. If we wanted to see the "real" island, we would have to go on expensive excursions and get up early. We usually stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning, so there's no a whole lot to do in port when you wake up at 1:00! Our choice? Yes. But we don't fret or stress over it and enjoy an empty ship for a little while.

Now, if we were doing my dream Mediterranean cruise, I will be up at dawn and rushing to get off of the ship. Ahhh, to be able to afford a ticket to Europe.:)

Why?

I have read post after post about people who would prefer to stay on the ship when at port. I just can't figure it out, so I'm asking why people do this?

Being in a beautiful different country, with tons of things to do and see and choosing to stay on the ship. I realize if you've been there a time or two that could be a reason. However, I live in Houston and I've been to Galveston a million times and been there, and done that, time and time again, but I still go back. I like the ships too and sea days, I just don't get paying for a vacation and staying on the ship when you can see the beautiful blue waters and a whole other country waiting to be explored.

I'm ranting, please throw in your two cents.

John

Asking this question is like asking someone who enjoys vacationing in Las Vegas "why do you gamble/not gamble/see shows/not see shows/spend like a high roller/clip coupons/enjoy fine dining/eat at buffets..." etc. etc. etc. Vacations are a personal expression and simply because we don't travel the same way, doesn't mean we should spend a moment of our time thinking the "why do they do that" of others. It just is the way it is.

I live at the beach, so taking the time to tender just to go to another beach is not always worthwhile. I travel with small children, and the destination of the ship itself is a treat for me. Being waited upon by friendly staff, enjoying the ambience with a beautiful view in a floating resort is my main reason for going.

Why?

I have read post after post about people who would prefer to stay on the ship when at port. I just can't figure it out, so I'm asking why people do this?

Being in a beautiful different country, with tons of things to do and see and choosing to stay on the ship. I realize if you've been there a time or two that could be a reason. However, I live in Houston and I've been to Galveston a million times and been there, and done that, time and time again, but I still go back. I like the ships too and sea days, I just don't get paying for a vacation and staying on the ship when you can see the beautiful blue waters and a whole other country waiting to be explored.

I'm ranting, please throw in your two cents.

John

Some people's idea of a vacation is to experience things, other people's idea of a vacation is rest and relaxation. People with the first idea (I'm assuming you're one) would never stay on a ship in port, people with the second idea would.

Neither one is right or wrong, just different.

I sometimes get the opposite question asked by people who have never cruised....they ask why I would go on a cruise and only be on a particular island for a few hours, instead of staying a week on one island. Well, I've been to the same islands numerous times so each time I try to see a different part. I do like sea days too, but always feel the need to get off and see something different. That's one of the reasons I like a cruise with lots of sea days AND lots of island time, like the one I am going on next...4 full sea days, 4 island days.:D

I've been to Ensenada almost 30 times and have gotten off the ship every time. Why? To get a massage in town at a fraction of the cost of the ship's spa, and a better treatment to boot. Then it's lunch and back on board.

Mazatlan is a port that I can live without seeing any more of - I didn't care for it in 1981 and nothing much has changed for me. So I stay onboard the ship (unless there are a few of us going for a massage) and enjoy a wonderful, peaceful day.

We're retired living on the gulf coast of Florida in a golf community with our own pool. We're not beach people. Been cruising for over 20 years and been to all the Caribbean ports many times. We just like the "feel" of being on a ship and only get off for specific things in the Caribbean. St Thomas to replenish our supply of single malt scotch and to say hello to our friends at Bernard K Passmans.

The son of a friend of ours owns the mini golf on Cozumel and Barefoot Sally gives a great massage.

Grand Cayman for Tortuga Rum cream and again to Bernard K. Passmans.

Think of a cruise ship as a nice floating hotel. Instead of going to a hotel somewhere to go to the spa, eat good food, see some shows, gamble, etc., some people go on a cruise. After a lot of trips they don't want to go sightseeing, they want to enjoy the "hotel".

We don't get off in Jamaica and a few ports in Mexico. We find a good view from Deck 5 outside, and sit, read, and relax in the quiet, warm weather all day. Like sitting on the veranda on a tropical island. Very relaxing.

We call Deck 5 "the porch".

I agree with you and I love "the porch: as well. We do not get off in Mexico (try not to cruise there at all) and if it is a port we have been to multiple times we might get off for a couple of hours to walk around, have a drink and enjoy the town and people watch. It's GREAT! Then it is off to "the porch" for a book and a nap.

We don't get off if it is a port that we have been to before and did not enjoy being there. There have been times when I'm just too tired to get off, and I spend the day in the lap of luxury on a deck chair reading, and swimming and just recharging the batteries so that I can enjoy the rest of the cruise and its ports.

Wow, you all betetr stop convincing me of how nice it is staying on the ship, or everyone is going to start doing it and it won't be the same. After reading all of your posts it really makes me want to be sitting on deck enjoying a beverage and relaxing. I better book another one now!

All of you smart people on CC would give reasons that made sense. But the next question that begs to be asked is............

Why would you continue making the same cruise over and over? We only have a very limited choice out of Galveston, so last year we flew to FLL and cruised from there.

Just a curious day for me.

Good questions.....

Many of us have been to the islands over and over for many years. When everyone is ashore in port, the ship becomes a quiet and peaceful place to enjoy the sun, a lounge chair at the pool, a quiet walk around the decks, enjoying a good book in a comfortable sofa or chair somewhere. No noise, no kids, no music, just peace.

I can't answer for everyone, but, when I cruise, I cruise for the sea, not the itinerary. Really don't care where it is going at all. So, whether it's my first time on a particular ship or my 10th time is irrelevant in my cruise world. One of my very favorite cruises was a 28-day freighter cruise around South America. I never got off the ship.

I always look at price first. Being a solo cruiser, price is the most important consideration. I find that sometimes one or more ships - usually those a little older in the fleet - have better rates on a consistent basis...so that's what I book.

There are a few islands where I do get off - even if I've been there a dozen times. That is because there might be a favorite restaurant to have lunch, or a favorite quiet beach that can be reached by rental car or taxi....that kind of thing.

OK...it's halloween and the door bell is gonna start ring'n off the hook and the little one's will start chant'n "TRICK OR TREAT KISS MY FEET GIVE ME SOMETHING SWEET TO EAT"...gotta love the younger generation...any way...THE QUESTION OF THE DAY IS...OF ALL OF THE PORT OF CALLS THAT YOU HAVE VISITED WHAT WAS YOU FAVORITE AND WHY...or was it that day at sea...sitting by the pool all day and baking the cold winter body and sucking down the drink of the day or the bucket of brewski's...be good the ghosts and goblins...BOO...

All of these a perfectly good reasons for staying on board and taking the same cruise.

As you have seen through the responses, for many of us the first time on an itinerary is an adventure, and sometime between the 2nd and 10th time it is a destination and style of mostly inclusive vacation we prefer. DS (then 11) and I stayed on the ship in Nassau during a boy's cruise during summer of '07--we'd just gone to the dolphin experience in nassau two months earlier and had gone to atlantis the previous january so this was our 3rd time in nassau in 8 months. The ship was mostly empty, we had a pool to ourselves (no pool at home, and don't belong to a club), and ping pong and shuffleboard and video games and soft serve ice cream and pizza slices...he was so happy with what we had right there on-board.

Our budget works best when we drive to canaveral from atlanta, so yes, there is repetition of itineraries. The hassle and expense of air travel and luggage charges and restrictions have kept us from alaska thus far, and may continue to do so for the foreseeable while DS is in private school, etc. People who go to the beach every year never seem to make a big deal in our community that they do so, but it amazes them that DS has taken 10 cruises from age 6 until 12. Most of his friends have been to destin or sea island or some other wonderful atlantic or gulf beach resort community a similar number of times in the same period, but our number of cruises catches attention. So we don't mind that we still get a "special" feel about a cruise vacation--and the beach trips end up costing more $ than our cruises do. Sure, many of the cruises came with tiny showers, but we managed just fine!

And for DW and I, the "special" feel of a cruise is incentive to bring our fancy clothes for formal night, and even to get the portrait photos taken. And returning to portofino is for us almost as much a seafood dinner we look forward to as our annual dinners at Captain Anderson's in Panama City Beach.

Hey Logan, stop by the rollcall for 12/26.

For the revised question I think my 2 favorite ports have been Key West and Cozumel. I loved the city tour we took of Key West and in Cozumel the Mexican Cooking class was a blast! Any cooking class that includes tequila shooters can't be all bad.

I live within walking distance of the ocean front - I can get sand between my toes anytime so I enjoy the luxury of relaxing on the ship or taking a tour to learn more about the area.

see...I would drag my tired body around and sacrifice one of my much loved sea days to see Bermuda. We've never been and I dont know how often we would get back so not sure I could stay aboard

Normally I would agree with you - not sure I'd give up a beloved sea day though-- but what I didn't say is that were were extenuating circumstances that included DH's immobility that made it easier to just stay onboard. We now travel with a wheelchair, and I've pushed him through many ports.

When we were a young couple and had just started cruising (about 35 years ago) we never could understand why some of the "ancient cruisers" would stay on the ship in port. Now we are those "ancient cruisers" and sometimes we really enjoy those post days when most are ashore. A few weeks ago we were berthed in Livorno, and had planned to take the train into Florence (we have been to Italy many times on sea and land). However, at breakfast that day, we decided to spend the day on the ship and relax since it was a perfect day for sunning. Our surprise was that there were several hundred other folks who also stayed aboard. Most, like us, had been to the port multiple times and preferred to enjoy the ship. I guess my point is that many of us cruise because we love to be on ships, and sometimes, the port is just not that important. I should add (before someone flames me) that we love traveling in Italy, are often there for driving trips once or twice a year, and Livorno is a great port for those who want to see Florence, Lucca, Pisa, etc. On the other hand, spending a quiet day on the Emerald Princess with no crowds, annoucements, no problem getting a table for lunch, etc, etc is not a bad thing!

Hank

we definitely stay on the ship when at the private island. Most ports we will get off for a short time if we have never been there before. If we were there it is 50/50 if we get off at all.

I love staying on board and having the ship to myself!

We've only stayed on the ship once in seven cruises, but after doing it once, I'll definitely do it again.

It was so nice to be on a virtually empty ship. The pools were quiet, there were no crowds, the spa was empty, the fitness center was not crowded, and the jacuzzis were all ours. It was a very romantic day with my husband on a giant ship. Loved it! Even the basketball court and ping-pong tables were fun!

Archived