Shampoo help!

WeirdEyes

Hi everyone! I have a problem. I have tried several brands of shampoo and all of them make my head itch. Now, my hands are starting to peel from the shampoo. Can any of you recommend a good shampoo that is gentle for highlighted, dry hair? Thanks!!!!! :D

I have had a similar problem and I have fine colored hair. Start reading shampoo and conditioner labels; avoid POLYQUATERNIUM. I know it is not in Head & Shoulders or its generic equivalent Equate from Walmart. There is also a shampoo sold at salons that my hair dresser recommended, but that was the only place you could buy it and it was expensive. Wish I could remember the name.

Bon Voyage

Except for your shampoo, try to keep all other products off your scalp. (mousses, gel, hair spray). For years I have used Matrix, colored hair formula, it does not make your head itch. If you use baby shampoo, stay away from Johnson and Johnson, it is too harsh, use Mennen. Baby shampoo is not formulated for hair and skin, it is formulated to not burn your eyes, so it can be very hard on your hair.

I was a hair stylist for 15 years and have seen this problem before, it can be caused by any number of things, dry weather, cold weather (artificial indoor heating) it could even be a reaction to the chemicals used in your hair color, even if it has never affected you before. It could even be caused by a medicine you are taking. Professional shampoos are a little more expensive, yes, but used properly, a little will go a long way. The chemicals used in professional products are of much higher quality than the drug store variety.

If the problem persists, I would see a dermatologist, I would be more concerned about the skin peeling than the head itching. I doubt your shampoo is causing the skin to peel on your hands, I may be wrong, but perhaps it is another chemical you are using throughout the day.

If you end up with several bottles of shampoo you cannot use on your hair, you can use it to wash hand laundry, sometimes I use it as a body wash (if it isn't hard on my skin). That, of course, goes out the window if you have an allergy, or sensitivity, then your friends or co-workers score some free shampoo.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Kathy, I've tried the shampoos at Bath and Body Works and they do not make my head itch. I think Matrix makes the products there. Pantene makes my head itch. I've tried just about every drugstore shampoo they sell. I just bought some shampoo/conditioner from a Regis Salon made from Olive Oil and it REALLY made my head itch. I've thrown it under my cabinets and will use it for something else. I just hate spending $10 for a bottle and then not be able to use it. I found an organic shampoo/condition on-line that I might try (Aubrey Organic). Anybody ever heard of this product or have any more suggestions? I need to buy something today. Thank you!!!! :)

I use Redken All Soft, no conditioner, a light mouse (Nucleic A) and Redken Inflate 14 hairspray. No itching and I get lots of compliments on how shiny and healthy my hair looks. And, I wash and blowdry (style) my hair every single day (okay, except for an occasional Sunday when I don't have to go out in public).Cathy

I do not know if this will help you or not, but take a look at http://www.lush.com All of their bath/body/hair products are hand-made and they list their ingredients. I first found one of their stores while in Croatia and their home base is in England. I agree with their mission statement and I LOVE THEIR PRODUCTS. I bought my bottle of "Rehab" shampoo in July and it is still 1/2 full. I looked at the ingredients and one on the list is olive oil, but they have others. You may even try their toll free number and tell them your dilemma. They are the type of company that will work on a solution.

Good Luck and let us know what you finally decide and if it works or not. I always enjoy reading your posts and I hope the best for you in your search!

Coka

Thanks Cathy and Coka! I bought some hypo-allergenic shampoo and conditioner yesterday and Sally's Beauty Supply. It is "suppose" to be like Aveda. I used it this morning and my scalp is not itching and my fingers did not peel. :D The only drawback is that I have dry hair from highlighting and my hair is not as shiny as when I use Pantene or Loreal's Smooth & Sleek. I'm going to by some Redkin Glass that will had shine to my hair after I towel dry. I hope this works out. If not, I'll have to try something else. The Lush products sound great and I will definitely check out their web site. Cathy, I have to use conditioner because my hair is so dry. I'll look at the Redkin products also while I'm buying the Glass. Again, thanks for the suggestions! :)

I use Biolage hydrating shampoo and have used it for years. I've also heard good things about the Aveda products. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo may help. It sort of makes your head tingle. My son used it for dandruff but I do believe it was not specifically for dandruff but for sensitive scalp.

You said the shampoo you just recently bought didn't make your scalp itch but your hair is dry. What if you try putting a conditioner on, but avoiding the scalp, maybe that will help. Good Luck.

Archived