Coral Princess vs. Sapphire Princess

poolwife

I booked the Coral Princess for Alaska next August before realizing my (so far) favorite Princess ship was sailing the itinerary I wanted, Sapphire Princess.

Has anyone been on both and what do you think? Should I switch back to Sapphire? I had a really good experience on that ship. But, then, I have to change my air flights which I got through air miles, etc.

Hi, We did the Alaska Cruise/Tour on the Coral this past August and were very pleased. The Coral at 1970 pax is smaller than the Sapphire; 2670 pax; but is still a 'big' ship and very comfortable. I'd say "stay with the Coral" :cool: .

I've been on both ships, they are both great. However, the space ratio is amazing on the Coral. Despite sailing at full capacity, it felt like the ship was empty. If you like to have a quieter atmosphere, the Coral is for you. If you like the feel that the ship is busier and more active, the Sapphire maybe better for you.

We were on the Coral to Alaska on May, 2007. We loved the ship. Never felt crowded. Food, shows and crew were wonderful. I don't think you will have any regrets.

We are on the Sapphire July, 2009, so we'll get the feel of the larger ship.

HAPPY CRUISING:)

The Coral and Island (sister ships, I believe) are our favorites. We too like the more moderate size.

We also have a blast when we sail on the Sapphire, which we are anxiously anticipating in December.

How could you not have fun when you are lucky enough to be out on a cruise vacation? ;)

I think the plus is the fewer passengers. In most other respects, the ships are the same size. The Coral is the same length, and has the same number of decks as the Sapphire, or any of the other Grand class ships prior to the CB. It's 10-15 feet narrower, which results in only 3 cabins across most decks, which is where the lower passenger capacity comes from. Druke is the first person I've ever seen complain that a ship is too damned wide LOL.

Considering of the amenities of the Sapphire are on Coral I would feel very comfortable sticking with it.

Well, we do have different opinions.

Sapphire Princess is 116,000GRT with 2670 passengers, while Coral Princess is 92,000GRT with 1970 passengers.

I think the difference is significant, and I still prefer Coral.

All you are doing is comparing 2 numbers that don't tell the whole story. The difference is in the width. All you have to do is look at the ship statistics and deckplans to see how similar in size they are. Since tonnage is a measure of space, that 17 feet of width along a length of over 950 feet and 12 or so decks adds up to a lot of tonnage. Skywalkers is probably good for 1000 grt on it's own.

Your assertion was that any ship that can't fit in the Panama Canal is too big a ship. So, if the Coral was 2 feet wider that would all of a sudden make the Coral less "handy" as you put it? And remember, the OP is going to Alaska so ability to get in the Canal doesn't matter.

Our opinions weren't different though. I did say that considering the ships were similar in size with similar amenities, and fewer passengers, that I would stick to the Coral.

I've sailed on both ships (the Sapphire to the Mexican Riviera and the Coral to the Panama Canal) If given a choice, I would pick the Coral. It is a great ship, and as other posters have said, you never feel like you're in a crowd. I really didn't like the location of the main dining room in the Sapphire, and was glad we chose anytime dining with more centrally located dining rooms.

Our favorite place to hang out on the Coral was the Lotus Pool...very serene with wonderful windows to watch the scenery. Hands down my favorite Princess ship to date.

Karen

I I really didn't like the location of the main dining room in the Sapphire, and was glad we chose anytime dining with more centrally located dining rooms.

Karen

We had assigned dining in the Santa Fe, which is one of the mid-ship dining rooms. I beleive it was first seating traditional, then anytime after 8pm or so.

I have sailed both and there is very little to choose between them. I think deck space on Coral is better, but this is unlikely to be an issue in Alaska. Coral has my favourite specialty restaurant with the Bayou cafe, but Sapphire has 4 anytime dining rooms which gives better choice and less waiting time than Coral with only 1 AD restaurant. Coral has Universe lounge which is 2 tiers, Sapphire's Club Fusion has only 1 tier, but Coral has no Skywalkers. Coral has a complete wrap around promenade, which is open all day, Sapphire's forward section on Emerald deck is closed at night.

Overall my favourite is probably Coral but only by a whisker.

Done both. Would go on either in a heart beat.

If I had to choose one or the other though it would be the Coral.

GERTZ

Princess Elite

Next Coral 4/12 FLL to LA

Island 8/17 Back to Alaska 4th time w/grandson:D

Star Mexican Riviera sometime Feb 2010

Having been on the Coral 5 times and will be on her next April and also been on the Sapphire and Diamond one time each another vote for the Coral. Absolutely the right size. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sapphire/Diamond ships, just prefer the Coral.

Marilyn

Archived