Steamer - what do I do with it?

MAXII

Pre-cruise I was planning on using my travel steamer.

I am more than willing to hand it over to cruise staff as I board if that's necessary - will I need to or be asked to?

How best to handle this? Should I just go offer it to them, keep it in my carryon or checked luggage or what?

Anyone been in the same boat (s'cuse the pun:D )?

Thanks.

I don't think steamers are one of the prohibited items although Irons are. Here is the Guest conduct policy which does not include steamers. Even if they do interpret your item to be one of the "other" items in the list, they will not take it away, they will just request you don't use it.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000-njmn7tE3lXEmCvolN3zZEw:12hdebdrn?pagename=guest_conduct_policy

I had wondered about this myself awhile ago and found this on the Celebrity site:

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000DtcBNvL06WKkvksQ7cF4bjS:12h3rnd1c?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=3183&pagename=faq_answers

I had wondered about this myself awhile ago and found this on the Celebrity site:

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000DtcBNvL06WKkvksQ7cF4bjS:12h3rnd1c?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=3183&pagename=faq_answers

Thanks, I wish they would be consistent from one page to another....

The question in the FAQ page was added a while ago - previously you could only find the no irons reference in the prohibited items under Before You Cruise tab. I think that they added it to the FAQ's because too many were missing the prohibited items list.

Very odd that they do not allow Steamers - I can certainly see Irons not being allowed for safety reasons.

But they allow curling irons!! Go figure! Those things are a lot more dangerous than any steamer.

The bottom line is that its another method of nickel/diming so that a person is forced to use and pay for their laundry/ironing services onboard........

Ditto with menajr8 and jay oldschool. On my last two X cruises I left the steamer out on the vanity/desk the whole time, the cabin steward never said a thing. Then again I never remember seeing the steamers on the list of forbidden items.

MaxII- if they confiscate yours but not mine you are more than welcome to borrow it.

Thanks folks, I'll try not to look too guilty and upto something when I board but if I get sent to the naughty room and/or have the thing confiscated, I may take you up on your offer Gocruzin.:D

Interesting to see how the different pages on X's site vary for sure.

Archived