Prices for Photos?

OntarioTraveller

Can anyone comment on the price of photos.

I am travelling on the Imagination with 3 girlfriends.

We will certainly want some ship photos taken (not the really big ones though) and wonder if you can get photos in multiples and is it cheaper that way. Any idea of prices?

I cruised a few years ago with husband and kids and we got a few packages of 4 by 6 pictures with the christmas greeting on the bottom (that we cut off). It was really reasonable that way but we got about 10 or so I think that we gave to relatives, etc......to many for us this time.

Any other ideas how to get the pictures in the most reasonable way?

Thanks!!

What I found was the original picture was expensive but you could get reprints made for much less. Like we got an 8x10 that was I think $30 then could get 2 5x7's for an extra $10. We bought 2 different 8x10's and got 2 5x7 reprints and I think it was around $60 or $80. Duplicates of the same pose are reasonable its the initial purchase that bites.

On the carnival website..on the page where you can buy various items such as flowers for your room, decorations, books, etc....There is a place on there where you can buy drink coupons, photo coupons. The photo coupons cost $15.00 and are good for ANY size photo. So what that means is that if you plan on buying the 2 formal night photo's ..2 coupons would cost u 30, versus the $42 if u were to buy them then.

HOpe it helps !

21.99 for 8x10

7.99 for 5x7

8.99 for 6x8 photos

Yes, the price is redicilous, but some of thema are worth it. Like our Halloween costume dress up which was done in black and white for the extra spooky affect.

We also did buy one formal night of the family, my DD and myself, and my Dh and myself.

Prior to our first cruise, I spent months reading posts about everything possible on this forum - thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. The thing I didn't realize was that every time you turn around, they would be taking your picture. I decided right away that I wasn't going to buy any of them. At our first port, while leaving the ship they had a very attactive young lady dressed like a pirate - she posed with her arm around me with a sword against my throat. A young man dressed as a pirate did the same with my Wife. I definately had to have that photo to share with the guys in the office (they all enjoyed it, but didn't say anything about me while viewing). I would make the daily trek to the photo displays to remove pictures not wanted. By the end of the cruise we had purchased over $100 worth of pictures. I swear I won't do it on our upcoming cruise (not betting any money on it though). :D

Our first cruise we didn't purchase any - thought it was a waste. But on our next, we purchased several, along with frames, and I don't regret it at all. A much nicer souvenir than some of the other items I've seen, and how often can you get a formal portrait taken? Some are just lovely with the piano and rose or in front of some of the nice backdrops. If you're not interested, you can always pass up the offer. Sometimes we walk right past, other times we stop at every station (if it's a good hair day, for sure!)

I don't know why anyone pays for those ridiculous photos anymore that are just so over priced when you can take just as nice of a shot on your own digital cameras. Makes no sense to me!

I'll give you two reasons. 1) Unless you have a high quality camera, you can't get an equally good shot. 2)The photographers will not allow you to use your own camera at the photo stations with the backdrops and lighting. I agree that the pics are overpriced though and we don't ever buy them since our first or second cruise..

Over priced compared to what though??? My daughter had professional pics of my grranddaughter taken,,,80.00 for 1 8x10, 2 5x7's and 8 wallets,,,

they were gorgeous,,,,and expensive when you can get a package at Walmart for 8.00,,,,but at Walmart they take the first picture and that's your package,,,then do about 30 more BETTER ones,,,

an 8.00 pkg cost me 130.00 at Walmart,,,though granted, I got 10 sheets AND the disc to make more,,,

are the pics retouched? That's expensive,,,,do they use unique backgrounds,,,that's expensive,,,how's the finish? etc,,,,all those things matter in the cost of pictures,,,

Holly

I'll give you two reasons. 1) Unless you have a high quality camera, you can't get an equally good shot. 2)The photographers will not allow you to use your own camera at the photo stations with the backdrops and lighting. I agree that the pics are overpriced though and we don't ever buy them since our first or second cruise..

I have always gotten some beautiful record shots on my average digital camera that looks almost just as nice as the professional ones. I have them blown up into a lager one if I feel like it and they look great.

I don't buy them anymore....unless it's a 5x7 that can be purchased-usually the boarding picture which I like to get if my grandson is along.

Most pictures are 8x10 and I find them overpriced.

I do take lots of pictures myself and have them enlarged when I get home.

I've had some really nice formal photos taken on the ship that would never happen at home. I can't get my husband to the photography studio and forget about dressing up so right there on the ship on the way to dinner, they have all the fancy backdrops and you pick the drops you want and take the pictures. If they don't turn out, there is no sitting fee like you would have at an expensive studio at home so you have nothing at all to lose. If the pictures turn out okay, you pay no more than you would pay a professional back at home. Yes, they are expensive, but have you ever had to pay $300 for a package from a professional studio? I have and it sucks. This way you don't pay if the poses aren't what you are looking for. I really wanted a picture of me & DH on the spiral staircase in the atrium and after the pics were developed, I didn't like them. NO harm no foul and I wasn't out anything but 5 minutes of my time on the cruise. But I did find a great photo with one of the other backdrops that I didn't expect I would like so its worth it to try it.

I like taking the picture if there isn't a line either at the embarkation when you first board or as you leave the ship at ports with the costume guys. Not much into the costume guys but I like the embarkation photo cuz it usually gives info about your trip like the ship, or itinerary or something like that.

Alot of folks are suggesting simply taking photos with your own digital cam, that sounds great to me, however, is Carnival staff actually going to take photos of you with your personal cam? or do you just ask another cruiser to snap a pic of you (i've never done this for fear of someone running of with my cam- kinda hard on a cruise though)

Alot of folks are suggesting simply taking photos with your own digital cam, that sounds great to me, however, is Carnival staff actually going to take photos of you with your personal cam? or do you just ask another cruiser to snap a pic of you (i've never done this for fear of someone running of with my cam- kinda hard on a cruise though)

You'd be surprised how many photo ops come up and other cruisers volunteer to help you out. For example, I was struggling to take a pic of me and hubby on deck and someone walked by and asked if we'd like their help. We reciprocated the favor for them after they took a picture for us. Later we saw another couple doing the same thing and we asked if they'd like us to help them out.

I never really thought about someone running with my camera to be honest. :o

The tour operators helped us out as well. Not sure about the staff though.

The photos taken on Formal night are taken with a different lens than the candid shots taken throughout the cruise....They have a soft focus effect and are really nice. They are well worth the money, especially if you , like many adults, don't get your picture taken very often. I love the photos though and spent about $60 on them my last cruise....I enjoy getting out my albums and looking at them. :)

On the carnival website..on the page where you can buy various items such as flowers for your room, decorations, books, etc....There is a place on there where you can buy drink coupons, photo coupons. The photo coupons cost $15.00 and are good for ANY size photo. So what that means is that if you plan on buying the 2 formal night photo's ..2 coupons would cost u 30, versus the $42 if u were to buy them then.

HOpe it helps !

FYI, the coupons says $15.00 towards the cost of a photo, so I believe even if you buy the coupon you'll have to pay the difference!

Archived