Hydro Pool info please!

katier825

I understand there's a charge for the Hydro Pool. Is it better to book right away when you board, or do they offer deals on port days? Can you try it for a day and have the cost applied to a weekly plan? What would be the cost for a 7 day cruise? Can you tour it before you commit? Any other tidbits I should be aware of?

Thanks!

:)

Can you tour it before you commit?

Sorry that I can help with only a small part of your question.

When you board you will be able to take (or schedule for a little while later) a tour of the spa facilities. Go over to the spa reception area and ask when the tours will start. You can ask the remainder of your questions then, of course. It's also likely that someone will be by here with more help.

Have a good cruise.

Yes, you can get a day pass. We did that in Alaska in early June - I think it was $25.00 (????) but I could be wrong - it was a "sea day" special, near the end of the cruise. Loved it! I know you can book the package for the week, but don't know that cost. It was very enjoyable - especially the loungers - wow! Fell asleep every time! So relaxing!

I agree with the previous poster - go on the spa tour the day of sailing - they can give you a price list, usually they have first day specials, and first sea day specials as well as the in-port day specials.

I just got off the Westerdam. Due to a sprained back just before cruising, I signed up for the $150 week-long Hydro therapy package (for the 7-day cruise). It includes unlimited use of the hydro pool, which is quite nice (and popular) and the Thermal Suite with steam and aroma saunas plus heated stone "chairs" (there's a photo of them on the Westerdam Public Rooms page on HAL's web site). I believe the Thermal day rate was $40, but maybe it's less for the hydro pool only. I'm sure the staff would show you around, but you can also catch a glimpse of the hydro pool through a glass door as you walk into the Greenhouse Spa.

I understand there's a charge for the Hydro Pool. Is it better to book right away when you board, or do they offer deals on port days? Can you try it for a day and have the cost applied to a weekly plan? What would be the cost for a 7 day cruise? Can you tour it before you commit? Any other tidbits I should be aware of?

Thanks!

:)

The hydro pool on the smaller ships is more like a jacuzzi.

To us the Hydropool and Thermal Suites are the "best thing since sliced bread." They are a wonderful part of the ship and we spend much of our time there.

I do not remember the price that we paid for the week-long package (that we purchased immediately upon embarkation), however I do remember that when we saw a sign at the spa desk a day or so later it was much more. I do not know if it is true or not, but they used to say that there are a limited number of passes available for the sailing.

Please enjoy!!

We got a hydro pass on the Zuiderdam and LOVED IT. I believe if we bought it the first or second day it was $150-ish for two of us. It was just so relaxing to use the thermal suite. Of course we were at sea for 6 days of the 8-day cruise, so were able to enjoy the pass quite often. I'm not sure I will get one for our upcoming 7-day cruise, as we are in port 4 of those days and I'm not sure we'd get our money's worth out of it.

We bought the $250 week long package for the thermal suite and hydro pool on our Westerdam cruise last week.

Supposedly, they only sell passes to 50 total participants, but the first day we went to use it, all the heated chairs were taken, all the loungers in the hydro pool area were occupied, and the hydro pool was completely full !! Even if we wanted to sit down somewhere, we could not.

The obnoxious Spa lady in charge told us that it quietens down during the week, but we asked for a refund. She refused, saying that we signed up the first day and she would only give us a refund for 6 days (even though we signed up at 6pm the first day). After a somewhat heated exchange, she said that she would have to e-mail the head office to approve the refund (?????) but eventually we did get a full refund.

We used the gym every day and the supposed "quietening down" never occurred, as the hydro pool always appeared to be completely full when we passed it on our way to the gym.

I find it unconscionable that the steam rooms are "off limits" to the masses. I can understand the need to limit access to the heated beds and hydro pool, but I refuse to pay $250 per week for the use of a steam room which is offered free on other cruise lines.

Just another way HAL has slipped tremendously in recent years

I guess I have a really dumb question... We've been on several cruises but have not used the Greenhouse spa except for massages. The hydro pool is what? A sea water hot tub? We have one (fresh water) we use regularly at our lake house in the winter but it wouldn't be something we would want to pay a lot for on a warm (hope Hawaii is warm) cruise. Anybody have info beyond what is available on the HAL sight? Hot cement chairs? Alaska maybe, but...? Just looking for options for the 10 sea days and I wonder if this might be something we would use.:confused:

I've been in many a gym, but am ignorant about spas. Given that caveat, here's my description of the hydro pool on the Westerdam:

Yes, it's saltwater, plus supposedly some other minerals. It IS like a giant hot tub, in the sense that there are water jets all along the walls. Within the pool is a circular hot tub of sorts, separated by a circular steel wall, that has higher water pressure than most hot tubs. Two pipes with shower heads extend upwards nearby (for what, I don't know, but everyone seems to use them briefly!) The most popular spot is at one end: a series of horizontal steel bars running parallel across the pool forming the shape of a legs-raised, butt-lowered recliner. Beneath these are more water jets. It seems designed expressly for people with back pain -- especially lower back pain (like ME!). It can fit about seven or so people reclining side by side. Around the periphery of the room are lounge chairs and a couple of showers for rinsing off. Next door is the room with two wet saunas, showers and the hot cement chairs facing floor to ceiling windows. These chairs seemed to be designed for relaxing tight muscles -- particularly in your back.

I sprained my back right before the cruise and the hydro pool definitely helped over time.

As an addendum to my post above, I want to say that the hydro pool and thermal suite are perfect for people with muscle aches and pains, though lots of other spa-type folks use them. I did see another sauna within the Westerdam's Greenhouse Spa area that I believe is free. If I hadn't been injured, I could have simply used the gym and this additional sauna.

Does anyone know if the rate for two applies only to people sharing the same stateroom, or can it be used by two friends in different cabins?. I'd like to try it and I think my sister-in-law would too, but I don't think the guys would be interested

If you don’t want to pay $50 just to try it for a day. Book a message and use of the hydro pool and thermal thermal suite are included for the day.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

One thing that HalfHitch didn't mention (unless I missed it) is that the water in the H-pool is body temperature...so it is much easier to stay in there much longer than a normal hot tub.

Timb089: If it is still the same Manager at the Greenhouse Spa as when we were on in December...you are so right. She was beyond obnoxious and rude to us. We had a few issues regarding the area around the H-pool and Thermal Suite (there were never towels, the juice/water were always empty, there was no attendant to keep after the thermal suite/loungers) and brought them to her attention and she basically told us "so what." We did try to give her another attempt at redeeming herself, however when she didn't we went right to the front desk and spoke with a Passenger Services manager. Surprisingly enough her attitude was a bit better at the end of the sailing...but apparently if this is the same person she is not someone who should be a manager anywhere because she has no people skills.

My husband and I purchased this package and loved it to begin with. Also, when we purchased it we were told that it was open EVERY DAY until 10:00 p.m. Well, NOT SO on your final day. They closed it at 4:00 p.m. and did not notify the 50 people that signed up. Yes, it did say in the daily paper but we didn't read that part of it about the spa hours cause why should we since we were told that it would be open EVERY DAY until 10:00 p.m. On Friday, our last day, I chose to get my packing done in the afternoon so I would get all the work out of the way and was going to go the spa in the evening after dinner to relax before bed.

My husband and I put our robes on and parade ourselves through the ship in our robes to get up to the spa, were given our keys and lo and behold we go to go into the hydro pool area and the pool was empty at 8:00 p.m. I was livid. They were performing maintenance on the spa.

And why couldn't this be done after 10:00 p.m. or first thing in the morning before the new group got on? My husband and I were so upset about this bad taste being left with us at the end of the cruise we probably will never buy that spa package again.

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know if there is a free sauna or steamroom on the Eurodam? I don't know if my budget will handle the additional charges to use something that is free on most cruise ships.

have a great next cruise.

Unfortunatley not writing to respond to your question but to ask you one... your "history" indicates that you have been on the Westerdam - do they offer free access to a sauna and steam room and are they usually crowded? Thanks ~

Unfortunatley not writing to respond to your question but to ask you one... your "history" indicates that you have been on the Westerdam - do they offer free access to a sauna and steam room and are they usually crowded? Thanks ~

There is a free sauna both on Westerdam and Eurodam. It is located just off of the lido pool area as you enter the hall that takes you in to the spa reception area. The steam rooms are part of the Thermal Suite and therefore are a "pay" facility.

Can anyone tell me if the "passes" are wristbands or do they put a sticker on your key card?

I shared the cruise-long pass with Aloha Pride when we were on the Noordam in January. We were each given a sticker, which was placed on our respective cabin keys.

When I arrived at the spa I had to turn in my key, and was given a key that opens the various spa doors. When I was done "spa-ing", I exchanged the spa key for my own.

Very simple; very easy.

Archived