Waterproof digital camera?

Dee777

Does anyone have or has anyone used, the Olympus Stylus 790SW? If so, did you like it? Have any issues with it? I am considering buying one for our '09 Panama cruise on the Pride, instead of a disposable waterproof camera. Have checked the online reviews and seems to be a not bad camera for an amateur (like ME!) but would like to hear from you guys before I make THE decision!

Thanks, everyone!

Dee

I just bought the 850SW for our cruise. it's a good little camera. It doesnt take ur standard SD memory card it take xD. I havent used it in water yet, but another people on our roll call had the next step up and says it works great

I just bought the 850SW for our cruise. it's a good little camera. It doesnt take ur standard SD memory card it take xD. I havent used it in water yet, but another people on our roll call had the next step up and says it works great

Whoops... I meant the 850 SW, NOT the original one I posted... 790 or whatever. I am not electronically adept, and appreciate any info I can get :)

Is there a big price difference between the SD cards and the xD's? Thanks!

Darn it, why do I never think to look for specific boards? I did not think to look on the photo board... Could be because all you fine folks just seem to know a bit about everything!!! Like one stop shopping, why go anywhere else? lol

Does anyone have or has anyone used, the Olympus Stylus 790SW? If so, did you like it?

Dee

Hi Dee, lots of threads concerning this camera, lots of happy people with some really nice underwater shots.

Heres the review and stats on the 790SW http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_stylus790sw.asp

770SW http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_stylus770sw.asp

Lots of info from users on the 850SW here: http://search.dpreview.com/?q=850+SW

850SW http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_stylus850sw.asp

Fred

I have the Olympus 770SW, the 7MP 33foot waterproof version of the camera. The 790 is only good for 10 feet under water. I have used it and have had no issues with it at all. In fact, I love to scare the daylights out of people by dropping it accidentally just to see facial expressions!

It is rated for ONE HOUR underwater, but I was going to try it in September to see if I can get more out of it when I went on a snorkling tour. Alas, we didn't go where were were supposed to and me n my bathing suit didn't get to go in the Caribbean Sea at all, except for the cleaned salt water that is in the swimming pools.

It takes good quality underwater photos, but the screen is really hard to see when wearing a snorkling mask...

The 790 is only good for 10 feet under water.

The 790 is 10 Meters not Feet so its good for 33 feet.

10 meter = 32.808399 feet

Note: Waterproof up to 10 m, Shockproof from height of 1.5 M, Crushproof up to 100 KG, Freezeproof up to -10C

Fred

I just bought a Pentax Optio W30. It's cheaper than the Olympus, and will use standard SD memory. Time will tell how good it is.:rolleyes:

This one is not Waterproof like the Olympus posted above, the stats of the Pentax Optio W30 are:

Water Resistant (JIS class 8); 3 meters for 2 hours. 3 Meters is around 9.8 feet.

So as for the Pentax Optio W30, I wouldn't bring that one into the water.

Here is one pissed off Pentax Optio W30 User:

Pentax claims it is waterproof. I followed the manual instructions and it failed. I never took it deeper than six feet and it was in the water for less than 45 minutes. The manual says it can be submerged up to 3 Meters for up to two hours.

I shipped it to the warrenty center. They shipped it back to me and said it passed the pressure test. I called and wrote to them. They said send it back and they would test it again... i said no. I will just vent my frustrations and never buy a pentax again.

One more:

Don't Buy the Pentax Optio W30

The camera was not waterproof.

Problems:

I used the camera one time in chest deep water. It immediately filled with water and stopped working. My attempt to resolve the issue with Pentax customer service didn't yield anything useful. I sent the camera back to Pentax for service. It was returned unrepaired with a note that said it passed some leak test. I contacted the head of customer service, Mr. Phil Kerswell. He told me that the camera functioned as designed and I should try and get the camera repaired with my credit card extended warranty (i.e. too bad).

Pentax Optio W30 Reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=pentax_optiow30

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiow30.asp

Fred

Does anyone have or has anyone used, the Olympus Stylus 790SW? If so, did you like it? Have any issues with it? I am considering buying one for our '09 Panama cruise on the Pride, instead of a disposable waterproof camera. Have checked the online reviews and seems to be a not bad camera for an amateur (like ME!) but would like to hear from you guys before I make THE decision!

Thanks, everyone!

Dee

I have the 770SW and it is great. Takes wonderful pics both in the water and on land.

I bought the 850SW shortly before my trip on the Majesty in September. I am absolutely smitten with it.

It's not too hard to use and figure out. The photos I've taken with it have been wonderful. I took it to Atlantis with me and even took it on the different waterslides and lazy river. It worked like a dream, far, far above and beyond the waterproof disposable cameras I've used in the past! I'm pretty clumsy, too, so the shockproof comes in handy as well.

I highly recommend buying this little guy. You can get a floating strap, as previously mentioned, or a caribiner-type clip to attach. I have the clip and think its perfect. I'll probably get the floating strap at some point, as well.

I have the 790SW--love the size and it takes great shots...

(also did buy floating strap for our last trip)...

ONLY problem.....screen is very hard to see --esp. in sunlight...lots of reflection and "mirror like"......so sometimes..I was shooting blind...

(had purchased a flip up shade...but had to remove it...water got under it)

all in all...a good value for the $ and so much easier to download the shots..instead of taking the waterproof disposables to store for processing!

I just got the 850SW as a birthday gift from my husband last night. I have done some research and requested that particular one for the price, user friendliness and the underwater/shock/freeze features. We travel a lot and I was spending at least $60 a year on underwater disposables and the pictures just turn out fair. Can't wait to use my new camera in MExico in a month and on our cruise in January. A friend who is cruising with me and snorkeling and going to the Caribbean for the first time has purchased one also! I got the "orange" on with the 2G memory card AND the flotation strap!

I've got the older 770SW and have been very pleased. There are times that I wished it had a better zoom, but that's my only issue with it. The land photos aren't quite as crisp as my former Cannon Elf, but the versatility of these cameras cannot be beat!

(BTW....I "drowned" my Cannon in a $190 water-tight case secondary to a leak in the seal. No other Cannon camera would fit into the case and the Cannon Elfs are modified several times a year to ensure that you have to re-purchase all accessories in the event that a new camera is purchased. Despite searching far and wide, I wasn't able to buy a new or used replacement of my camera, which was only 14 months old. So, I definitely won't ever purchase another Cannon camera with the intention of using it with a specialized case underwater...just wanted to share that with those who are considering this option...)

The Olympus avoids this problem!

I bought the 790SW for our Pride cruise. It is an awesome camera and I take it everywhere...it takes great shots both under and above water.. my DH loves to hog it when snorkeling..he thinks he can take better pics than I can..LOL..anyway..love the "behind glass" setting also, took great shots of all the beautiful glass objects in the stairwell displays..I'll try and attach a couple..

856345233_LegendcalmwaterBelize.jpg.d2eab08a35b42ff23e4435f9fe4b4b40.jpg

1211564592_LegendSnorkeling.jpg.c61857ea0a6d2eb9ca21b4371aaf0c7a.jpg

1573147650_Legendplanewing.jpg.2cb224bce11e866a0a38b1fd4e9cebc8.jpg

Archived