Travel Agent or book through RRCL website?

Sass4

If you are really anal, then book it yourself. If you just want to book it and then relax, book with a compentent TA who will look out for your interest.

I'm always anal when it comes to my pleasure, my time and my money. For us, part of the enjoyment of the cruise is the planning, arranging and, finally, the doing.

If you have cruised before and therefore know the terminology I would recommend booking it yourself thru the RCCL website. You can either make your cabin, ,dining, and excursion choices right online or utilize the 800 #. It's a lot less hassle getting price rebates, discounts etc when you book thru RCCL than having to go thru your TA who in turn has to go to RCCL anyway.

To get the lowest possible price for either the Mariner of the Seas or the Serenade of the Seas? We are really torn which one to take.

What are you torn about? Which Ship or Travel Agent/RCCL?

TA's aren't allowed to sell the cruise for less, the difference is offers for on board credits or pre-paid gratuities. If there are price reductions RCCL bookings will get the credit automatically.

Ah but the difference is a compentent travel agent may have added benefits because of a group, a consortium allowed added amenty, such as shipboard credit or dollars off, and they will call you and notify you if they notice that you now qualify for a lower rate, which RCCL will not. You have to ask for it. Nor will an online agency notify you of lower rates that appear later for which you may quailfy. Plus there are some rates not available through the RCCl website that again, a COMPETENT travel agent will know about. I can build a house with a hammer, nails and wood, but a carpenter and architect have a lot more knowledge than I about structure and are more skilled, so hence they can most times build a better house. The same is true of a good agent. You have to KNOW where to look for the discounts and breaks. There is still nothing like a trust relationship and loyalty with someone in the service industry, whether accountant or travel agent. They become your advocate in times of trouble. Don't forget David beat Goliath. :)

RCCL will NOT automatically apply any discount that comes along, their data base is not set up that way. Don't beleive me ? Call RCCL and ask. How would they know for instance that you are qualified for military or resident rate??? and yes, although rebating is not allowed Royal does give agents certain sail dates at lower prices than on the RCCL website or with added amenities......Want a challange, check the Freedom sailing 12/6/09....I'll bet my agency has a better price than on the RCCl website...why ? it's a group and it was booked with the prices frozen over three months ago before the prevailing prices were raised. Plus it offers $100 shipboard credit. Sounds like you should use a travel agent.

We booked our Dec. cruise with an online ta that we have used many times. This cruise: free gratuities and that's better than booking platinum with rccl ($100) a cabin.

Booking through a TA or RCI direct, you are still entitled to the platinum discount, so now you have a double saving:)

We booked our Dec. cruise with an online ta that we have used many times. This cruise: free gratuities and that's better than booking platinum with rccl ($100) a cabin.

Dear bluefintuna, call that online agency and have your platinum discount applied! You don'y have to book direct for C & A benefits.....

Booking through a TA or RCI direct, you are still entitled to the platinum discount, so now you have a double saving:)

I sailed RRCL once before, is that an extra discount?

And also, I'm more confused because how in the heck do you know if you even have a competent TA?

My sister booked the last one.

I sailed RRCL once before, is that an extra discount?

And also, I'm more confused because how in the heck do you know if you even have a competent TA?

My sister booked the last one.

It is an extra discount, but you have to be Platinum Crown and Anchor or above, five cruise credits make you platinum.

I always book through a travel agent. I got a bummer one this time because they charge fees for every change and inevitably I needed several changes. I have never tried the book through RCCL and move to a travel agent, but that sounds good to me. Whatever travel agent, be careful to really consider the fees before you sign on!

I got about $220 worth of credits for a 5 day cruise on top of my platinum and military discounts. Pretty good!

They say that TAs are not allowed to offer lower prices than RCCI's advertised, but I know our TA charged me a price $500/pp lower than any advertised price AND included some OBC. I assume that it's because they have a group discount (like someone else here stated)? And I am still eligible for price drops. I vote for finding a good TA.

They say that TAs are not allowed to offer lower prices than RCCI's advertised, but I know our TA charged me a price $500/pp lower than any advertised price AND included some OBC. I assume that it's because they have a group discount (like someone else here stated)? And I am still eligible for price drops. I vote for finding a good TA.

While a TA can sometimes have group space booked, and save you money that way, a $500 pp difference is hard to understand.

Are you sure that you are comparing apples to apples? All taxes and fees included?

This has me just a little worried for you.

I have NEVER gotten a lower quote thru RC than thru my TA. Our Diamond discounts are applied, we get significant onboard credit thru our TA, and there are always additional "goodies" from her waiting for us in our stateroom. I don't buy into the myth that you get the lowest price from RC. That might only be true if you have the "wrong" TA. We'll stick with the agent.

In the UK I've always used a TA and never booked directly with RC.

Prime example - when we booked Australia/New Zealand for December 2009 I knew how much we wanted to spend for flights, cruise and 5 day hotel stay in Sydney after the cruise.

The price that came back was a little higher than we had expected. We said to the TA that we would shop around, look on the web etc and he said OK, I'll take £800 (GBP) off the price, give you free gratuities and I'll arrange onboard credit - if you book today. Needless to say we booked and are looking forward to the trip. The invoice shows the discounts etc as "TA Discount".

While a TA can sometimes have group space booked, and save you money that way, a $500 pp difference is hard to understand.

Are you sure that you are comparing apples to apples? All taxes and fees included?

This has me just a little worried for you.

Okay, I double checked with my husband and he says it's actually a savings of $400/pp, not $500. But that's still an extra $800 total off the RCCL listed price. And yes, it should be apples to apples (we compared looking at both prices after taxes and fuel surcharges).

I used to book directly with the cruise line and turn the booking over to a TA for a perk just before final payment. I just got burned on my cruise coming up Nov 30. The fare went down $50 PP and the TA charged me $25 PP to make a change, what a rip off. I advocate keeping control of your own booking now.

I checked the price of a cruise on the RC website and chose a cabin number from the list that was available. I then called a very well know and long established Travel Agent in the UK who was offering discounts and got the cruise for £400.00 lower than the RC website, with the same cabin number. As this cabin was available on the RC website, it was obviously not a cabin that the Travel Agent had already held through group space. This Agent was very helpful and I would certainly book through them again.

I have NEVER gotten a lower quote thru RC than thru my TA. Our Diamond discounts are applied, we get significant onboard credit thru our TA, and there are always additional "goodies" from her waiting for us in our stateroom. I don't buy into the myth that you get the lowest price from RC. That might only be true if you have the "wrong" TA. We'll stick with the agent.

Screwbit, I may be misreading your post, but I'm not sure, so I thought that I would mention this.

You should get the diamond balcony discount no matter the method of booking. If you think that this is a perk of booking with your TA, it's not.

Archived