Repositioning Cruises - in/out of New York

roe2ship

For those of you who have been on repositioning cruises, have you noticed any decline in quality of food, service, entertainment??

We are considering the CB from SJ into New York.

Any input is appreciated.

Go for it!! Just off the CB repo from NY to SJU and it was fabulous! No decline in anything IMHO!

For those of you who have been on repositioning cruises, have you noticed any decline in quality of food, service, entertainment?

Absolutely not. If anything, service gets better because the atmosphere is less rushed and the longer cruise allows you to develop friendships more (both with passengers and crew).

The thing that does change is the demographics of the passengers.

Long cruises tend to attract retired people and deter working people and families.

The other big difference is the number of at-sea days. Before the cruise you will here folk woder about all those days at sea. As you reach your first port after several days at sea, you will here folk saying "oh, I wish we could have had more sea days!".

Hope this helps

Also just off the NYC to San Juan Repo, which we also did last year.

My only complaint is the debarkation in SJU. They just don't seem to be well prepared for the first cruise of the season into the terminals. But that has nothing to do with the cruiseline, and I've heard that once the regular round trip cruises start, debarkation is excellent.

We just completed a repo from NY to SJ on Caribbean Princess. I thought the service on board the ship, quality of food, friendliness of the staff was outstanding. Some of you might remember that my first review of CB some years ago wasn't all that flattering, so I'm happy to say that we had a very enjoyable cruise. The first 4 days we were under "Code Red" for noro, so the crew was really stretched, but everyone rose to the challenge and it seemed to be a very happy ship.

It's actually a fair question, Colo. Sometimes the shorter repos on the west coast have a trimmed-down slate of events and services because the cruises are so short.

My only word of warning is that when you arrive, it will be the first time at a new home port, so expect some delays and confusion when disembarking. The same applies when embarking on a cruise when it is the first one to leave from a new home port. Also, larger-scale staff changes sometimes happen when a ship finishes up its season in a particular area, or at least, this is what I have observed.

Just curious, why would you think it would be any different then any other cruise?? :confused:

I did a last cruise for the season (right before a repo from Ft. Lauderdale) on an RCI ship After cruising on another RCI ship, I thought the service, friendliness from the staff and dining room food overall were much better than the first one leading me to think it possibly may have something to do with it…..just a thought.

Mainly, the question was asked because the repo cruises generally have lower prices and that makes me somewhat cautious.

If I recall correctly, haven’t you cruised on a repo on the Crown?? Care to share your opinion?

We just got off of the repo from NY-San Juan. Had a wonderful time. No cutbacks/scalebacks from what we could tell. The crew was in a good mood from what I saw -they were doing 9 weeks of cold weather cruising in NE/Canada prior to this. Also - the bartenders siad they were lacking action, especially in the disco. They were happy to see action. The passenger services director actually told us that most of the bars were closed at 10 PM on the Canada/NE cruises. We thought the entertainment was great!

If I recall correctly, haven’t you cruised on a repo on the Crown?? Care to share your opinion?

We have sailed repos on the Crown/Emerald/Island/Coral.

I found the service to be equal to a regular cruise, really not seeing any decline in attitude. Maybe a lack of better entertainers is all that I would say was lacking. :)

Archived