Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier

macnife

Hi, I am new here and have been lurking for a few weeks now. I have taken an Alaska cruise way back in 1988. I am planning to take my son and the entire family on an Alaska cruise in May or June 2009 for my son's high school graduation party. I took HAL in 88 and we went through Glacier Bay. I thought it was beautiful. The family is wanting to stop in Skagway for the whitepass rail excursion, and the cruises I found that fit our needs go to Sawyer Glacier or Glacier Bay. I would love to hear opinions on both. Also, is there a "better side" of the ship to reserve a balcony room so you see the most of the glaciers, or does the ship cruise one way and turn around and go the other. Thanks for any info.

If glaciers are your priority, then pick Glacier Bay, far superior for glacier viewing. In your timeframe, if going in May, you are VERY unlikely to get within view of the Sawyer Glacier, a better chance is definately had, IF you cruise NCL and purchase their approx $185pp add on Tracy Arm jet boat (absolutely necessary in my opinion). But in May sometimes, they go to Endicott Glacier. IF going on any other line, the glacier viewing rate of Sawyer Glacier is probably less than 20% going as early as you are. I assume you are only looking at round trip cruises??

For Glacier Bay IF you are only interested in viewing glaciers from your cabin, you need a port side. However, it is definately superior to be out on deck, at least part of the trip, getting more expansive viewing.

Thanks for the info Budget Queen. We are doing a round trip from Seattle. We have family coming from Michigan and we are coming from Arizona. Cost of airfare seemed to be better from Seattle. I've heard that the balconies open up between rooms on the Princess lines Golden Princess, but the cruise is through Tracy Arm Fjord and I've also heard that most of the time the ship can not go in because of the icebergs. It is so hard to pick and choose what options I want (open balconies between rooms, Glacier Bay, Rock climbing wall on the ship, etc) I love reading here and hearing everyones opinions on what they liked about their cruise.

Another vote for Glacier Bay. Look at the HAL itins. That's what we're doing in 2009 and it includes Glacier Bay.

In 2006 we were on Princess roundtrip Seattle and the only glacier viewing from the ship was supposed to be Sawyer. We couldn't get in at all because of early morning fog. Luckily the year before we did a northbound cruise and saw Glacier Bay and College Fjord. I felt sorry for those who were on their first Alaska cruise and didn't get to see any glaciers from the ship.

Alaska05, The cruise I took back in 1988 was on HAL and I loved it. The bad thing this time, I want to see Skagway and HAL doesn't do Skagway on the round trip Seattle cruise. My mom-in-law does not fly, so they are driving from Michigan. We thought that would be the best to cruise from. I am unfamilar with going into Vancouver to catch the ship from there.

Alaska05, The cruise I took back in 1988 was on HAL and I loved it. The bad thing this time, I want to see Skagway and HAL doesn't do Skagway on the round trip Seattle cruise. My mom-in-law does not fly, so they are driving from Michigan. We thought that would be the best to cruise from. I am unfamilar with going into Vancouver to catch the ship from there.

Vancouver is just a three hour's drive north from Seattle on I-5 which turns into Highway 99 - which takes you right into downtown Vancouver & Canada Place, where the majority of Vancouver-based ships leave from. :)

Hi, I am new here and have been lurking for a few weeks now. I have taken an Alaska cruise way back in 1988. I am planning to take my son and the entire family on an Alaska cruise in May or June 2009 for my son's high school graduation party. I took HAL in 88 and we went through Glacier Bay. I thought it was beautiful. The family is wanting to stop in Skagway for the whitepass rail excursion, and the cruises I found that fit our needs go to Sawyer Glacier or Glacier Bay. I would love to hear opinions on both. Also, is there a "better side" of the ship to reserve a balcony room so you see the most of the glaciers, or does the ship cruise one way and turn around and go the other. Thanks for any info.

Are you limited to a seven day cruise? We are sailing out of Seattle round trip but it is 14 days. We get both Skagway and Glacier Bay plus Seward, a must see/do if you have not been there before.

borntocruise@me.com

Born2cruize, We really don't have a limit on days, just thought that might be too expensive. What cruise is it that you are taking and I will check it out. I saw one cruise that was longer in length that stopped in Valdez and the icy straits. It sounded like a lot of fun, but was a little more than I can afford.

Princess has the 14 day round trips.

You do need to allow more time than 3 hours for the drive Vancouver/Seattle. In my opinion, at least 4. There are several modes, Amtrak, Quick Shuttle, cruiseline contracted buses, and one way rental cars. You want DOWNTOWN Vancouver and not the airport, I have rented from Alamo, Avis, National and Budget, there is also Hertz.

Archived