13&16 Yr Old: Making Friends w/out Going to Programs

lilpootr

Hello Everyone,

We will be on the Carnival Legend in February and I would love to hear suggestions on how my 13 (boy) & 16 (girl) year olds can find new friends to "hang" with but without joining the clubs. The two of them get along well and I have a gut feeling they will not want to the youth programs without the other (initially). A friend of mine who cruised with her kids this summer mentioned something about her kids going to the on-board meet & greet (they were on RCL) to meet friends. Any suggestions of how the kids can meet other teens?

Thanks for the help/suggestions!:D

You know, it's like being in a new school--if you don't get in on the initial meeting, you may feel out in left field! I'd at least suggest going to the 1st day of the kid's club, so they won't feel like strangers. The 16 yo girl is NOT going to want to hang with her 13 yo brother--not when she sees what fun there is for teens!

They will come in contact with other kids at the pool, but they need to be out-going enough to strike up a conversation.

I would make sure they go to the first night. That is where they will meet people to hang out with the rest of the cruise. We cruised last June with teens 19, 17 & 14. We had late seating for dinner, but I excused the two youngest to go to the teen center open house that first night, which was at the time. They met lots of people and made friends that they hung out with for the rest of the cruise. They didn't spend much time in the teen programs after that, just went for the dances, but they had a great time hanging out with their new friends around the ship. My oldest had a much harder time making friends since he didn't have that opportunity to meet people, and went to shows, etc. with dh and myself.

We had a family at our table that had 3 teens the same ages as ours, and they didn't attend the first night event. They spent the cruise wandering around together or sitting with their parents. My kids dragged them to a dance once, but they didn't feel comfortable there since they didn't know anybody and they left early.

They don't need to "join" the clubs; just show up the first night, make some new friends, and they will be all set for the rest of the cruise!

I would make sure they go to the first night. That is where they will meet people to hang out with the rest of the cruise. We cruised last June with teens 19, 17 & 14. We had late seating for dinner, but I excused the two youngest to go to the teen center open house that first night, which was at the time. They met lots of people and made friends that they hung out with for the rest of the cruise. They didn't spend much time in the teen programs after that, just went for the dances, but they had a great time hanging out with their new friends around the ship. My oldest had a much harder time making friends since he didn't have that opportunity to meet people, and went to shows, etc. with dh and myself.

We had a family at our table that had 3 teens the same ages as ours, and they didn't attend the first night event. They spent the cruise wandering around together or sitting with their parents. My kids dragged them to a dance once, but they didn't feel comfortable there since they didn't know anybody and they left early.

They don't need to "join" the clubs; just show up the first night, make some new friends, and they will be all set for the rest of the cruise!

My thoughts EXACTLY! Go to the clubs the first night and they'll find a couple of kids that they'll "hang" with for the rest of the cruise. Mine will go to some activities at the club but leave with their "gang" once the fun stuff is over.

I agree with everyone else! The open house for the clubs happen the first night (I know the younger kids started at 8pm). The actual club rooms are open either before or after so the kids can check them out. If the kids will just go to the meeting that night I'm sure that they will meet someone. On our cruise last week I would see a couple of groups of kids between the ages of your kids hanging out - pool, arcade, unicorn cafe. They all seemed to be having a great time - hope yours do too!

Thank you so much for all of your replies!! Sounds like going to the clubs on the first night is key. How do we find out what time their "open house" is scheduled for? Would it be in the capers?

Thanks again for all the help:)

Archived