Cockatoo Catamaran Grand Cayman

lweeza

We have done this excursion twice! The first time around, we got off the tender, were met by their rep & taken on a short bus ride to the yacht club where we boarded the catamaran. There were only about 20 of us on this trip, so it was wonderful, since the cat is built for around 60. The sail out to the stingrays was very pleasant, and of course feeding & swimming with the stingrays is not to be missed.

The second time around, we did have a bit of a wait, as there were 6 ships in port that day, & traffic was moving at a crawl thru downtown. There were so many people that the buses were having a very difficult time keeping to a schedule. This trip we had more on the catamaran, still less than 60 though, and there was plenty of room for all.

We had different crew each time, but all were very friendly & entertaining. I think you will enjoy the experience.

Lisa

As Lisa mentioned, it's very large catamaran! You'll have plenty of room to move around and won't feel crowded!

We've been on both Captain Marvin's and the Cockatoo ... and really liked the Cockatoo much better! It's a sailing catamaran which made the sail itself fun and our anchor location was so much better.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Oh..this sounds awesome:) Terri and I are going to do this in May...she told me she has done it once already.....and she is excited to be doing it a 2nd time:)

This is one excursion I am really looking forward to!!!....will be the first time for me:D

Do you get the same level service as with CM? Isn't the group larger than with CM? How does their price compare?

[B]luv2 ....[/b] We had wonderful service on the Cockatoo, better than Capt. Marvin's. The crew made sure everyone who wished was able to hold and pet a stingray. For the folks who did NOT go into the water ... they gently lifted stringrays up so those on board could pet them and have PhotoOpts. Our anchor location was great and the long ladder made it very easy to get off and on the catamaran. A crew member was standing by the ladder in case anyone had a problem. The water was slightly above the waist on my DH (5'10") and only about shoulder level on me (5'2") at the Cockatoo's anchor location. It's a VERY LARGE sailing catamaran with lots of room to move around freely.

The day we booked (made advanced reservations) Capt.Marvin's, it was overbooked :confused: so they added another boat at the last minute which was also packed. We were on that "added" second boat which could have been a factor ... who knows? :confused:

Captain Marvin's is less expensive!

We did not HATE Capt.Marvin's ... just liked the Cockatoo BETTER!

Honestly, we've seen all of the stingrays we we care to see in this lifetime :p ... BUT glad we did it!

Whatever you decide ... it's something worth doing at least once!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about taking the Cockatoo Catamaran excursion in Feb. Is this at all like a party boat (ie, do they serve rum punch or anything like that)? Not that that's my main interest, but it would help me to make my decision. :D

If I remember correctly, they served a rum punch or something similar on the return trip. No drinking before snorkeling! They also had bottled water & a non alcoholic punch too I believe. All were included in the price. Cockatoo also sends an underwater photographer to film an underwater video of you if you are interested.

This was one of the best excursions we have taken and we plan to take our 13 year old daughter on this excursion in October . The catamaran is awesome and you will love swimming with the Rays. It may take a minute to get adjusted to being in the water with them though. They do a great video as well. If you tell them up front you want the video, they will try and get more shots of you in the film. We love our video.

• 5 years later...

Went out 6 days ago on Cockatoo and the main sail was so shredded that it could not be used. The jib had a big rip but not so bad it could not be used. People on cruise ships do not seem to know how to use a marine head propperly as ...well, dont wish to go into details but it was R U D E ! Sad as the sailboat is an ex racer and has fine lines ...I paid the inflated RCCL price because I thought it would be right...never again! I did the rest of shore time on the fly and saved big bucs....amazed me how many people do not go into the REAL destination city...but rather stay in the Compounds around the terminals. This is fine as long as they do not claim to have "seen" Belize or whatever city they are at:-)

First time I went to Stingray City in Grand Cayman was on the Cockatoo and I thought it was very good but on the short side. The second time I went independently with Captain Bryan which is also on a Catamaran. This excursion went to Stingray City and continued on for snorkeling which was fantastic. We had to walk to the meeting point which wasn't far from the tender pier. It was by the English Bakery, if I recall. There's a booth there where you pay and then you take a van over to the marina. It was a longer tour and you got better value. You can google Captain Bryan Grand Cayman and find out more.

Archived