Roatan Civil Unrest - Carnival Ship Evacuated from Port Today

Do you know how many ships have diverted from Roatan in the last month?

If the port is not reliable the cruise lines will walk from it. The money spent does not equal the potential for lost revenue when customers are routinely dissatisfied.

Do your homework on this one. This is not the people of Roatan protesting. Dig deeper and you will see that these "protesters" are paid political insurgents from the mainland.

google search "ALBA Honduras" and draw your own conclusions.

"paid political insurgents from the mianland"... love to have a reference/link for that.

Sound to me like the Islanders have a legit beef. Double electric rates overnight... sounds like a time to make some noise. :mad:

If the cruise ship docks, maybe I'll protest with them and make that my self-directed shoretour. :cool:

"paid political insurgents from the mianland"... love to have a reference/link for that.

Sound to me like the Islanders have a legit beef. Double electric rates overnight... sounds like a time to make some noise. :mad:

If the cruise ship docks, maybe I'll protest with them and make that my self-directed shoretour. :cool:

Here you go. Right from the front lines on Roatan -

Re: Road Blocks?

Yes, Nancy, I also heard from a few different sources that they were

paid and being fed to do this protest. Many do not live here and have

no vested interest in this island. With the enormous loss of

cruiseship dollars its amazing the government doesn't step in, load

boats with them and get them all out of here.

Re: [roatan-living] Road Blocks?

My daughter just took her son to school in Sandy Bay, no road blocks, was

told you can not go towards the east past Coral Cay. Other side she did not know but was told they are at RECO.

Was also was told that the majority of protesters were unknown by many of the locals from the mainland who now reside on the island. So maybe as

Dorothy said they were brought over for this. Who knows..

Just passing on what I believe is true.

Road Blocks and possible shootings

My manager called me this morning to say there was shooting last night, RECO isout, the cruise boats and airlines are not running and then there are the road blocks. That was his news at 7 a.m. this morning. I hope we will hear when things settle down. I have guest scheduled to fly in on Continental on Saturday. I wonder what the flights are doing today.

I'm sure Dorothy knows what she is talking about.

google search "ALBA Honduras" and draw your own conclusions

Do you know how many ships have diverted from Roatan in the last month?

If the port is not reliable the cruise lines will walk from it. The money spent does not equal the potential for lost revenue when customers are routinely dissatisfied.

Do your homework on this one. This is not the people of Roatan protesting. Dig deeper and you will see that these "protesters" are paid political insurgents from the mainland.

google search "ALBA Honduras" and draw your own conclusions.

I have visited Roatan about 5 times over the past few years and have talked to many of the residents there regarding the conflicts between the mainland of Honduras and Roatan.

The mainland has treated Roatan as an ``unwanted'' child for many years. Dates back to the old days of Spanish and British Honduras.

The Honduran govt loves to make life difficult for the residents of Roatan.

BTW, there have been many times that Royal Caribbean has not ported at their own private island in Haiti due to civil unrest and St. Croix was dropped as a port for several years due to problems on the island. Ships came back to those ports when the civil unrest was finally calmed.

Dianne

FYI, variable electricity rates in South Texas and Houston more than doubled this spring. Spot prices went from about $120/mwh to over $3000. Didn't hear about any rioting in the streets (although the Texas public utility commission heard an earfull I'm sure).

Of course now the prices are more reasonable. When hurricane Ike knocked the heck out of Houston all the speculators got burned big time.

FYI, variable electricity rates in South Texas and Houston more than doubled this spring. Spot prices went from about $120/mwh to over $3000. Didn't hear about any rioting in the streets (although the Texas public utility commission heard an earfull I'm sure).

Of course now the prices are more reasonable. When hurricane Ike knocked the heck out of Houston all the speculators got burned big time.

Texas compared to Roatan. That's rich. :p Thanks for the LOTD:D

Texas compared to Roatan. That's rich. :p Thanks for the LOTD:D

So what is your point? At what price should Texans riot?

I thought rioting was always barbaric behavior but you seem to be saying it's ok in Roatan. The islanders would probably disagree.

So what is your point? At what price should Texans riot?

I thought rioting was always barbaric behavior but you seem to be saying it's ok in Roatan. The islanders would probably disagree.

The posts I was responding to was about protest, not rioting.

I like Roatan, and think they deserve better treatment. By everyone.

They need change.

Just spoke to my husband who is sailing on the Jewel this week - he said they are in Cozumel today instead of Roatan....

Who has been counting?

Is that 3 or 4 ships that have skipped Roatan this week? Or was it more?

Has anyone seen any mention of this on any of the cruise ship home websites?

It would be nice if Cruise Critic posted another news article to get the word out. I feel for the people who are counting on their vacation.

We were on the same cruise as Coasty. I was not feeling well when we stopped in port but decided to visit the shopping areas at the very least. My 10 yo DD and I walked around and shopped for about an hour. On our way back a protest began. It was very civil, just a group of people walking down the street (they filled the street from side to side) and people standing on the side of the street watching. They had a loud speaker and were playing a recording or it could have been a broadcast (sounded more like a broadcast). There was no violence and most of the venders just looked at the protestors like they knew what they were doing. I asked someone what was going on (even though I had read the boards) and they said "protest". I am not sure if people are making more out of than it is or what I saw was something different. It was no big deal and over quickly. In fact when I got back on the ship later that night I mentioned it to several people and they did not even know about it. I know Coasty has been here before when there were protest and he said it also was no big deal.

This is my first post on cc.

We sailed on the Pearl on 10/12/08 (first cruise and our honeymoon) and did the Roatan Highlights tour. The people could not have been nicer....

We drove by the power company and saw a ton of people outside with signs. Very quiet, very orderly protest.

The only way we knew it was a protest was our tour guide told us. She also said she would be there that evening as well.

I hate to see this is going on in Roatan. it was our favorite stop (we skipped belize city)

Hunter Jackson

We visited Roatan Oct 06 and loved it. The people were so nice and helpful. The beach beautiful. We've gone to other poor countries but many made us feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Roatan is poor but we felt comfortable and safe. We were already looking at cruises hoping to return to Roatan in 2009 or 2010 but now I guess we'll have to wait and see. Our thoughts will be with the local people of Roatan and we will pray for their safety.

George, I thought everyone rioted when utility prices went up???? LOL

Nita

I was talking to NCL today a lot about other things- 3 different people told me that the Pearl will be going to Costa Maya instead of Roaton on near-future cruises. This is all I know

That's fine with me if that's what they are doing. I just wish they would send us some sort of notification so we can start planning for the new port. It would be a bummer to miss Roatan though.

If this is true, that NCL is not going to do Roatan going forward, then that is sad. Yes they may have had some issues, but these "riots" are very common in that part of the world and are usually nothing more than what we call a strike. 99% of the time they are always directed at local issues and not tourists.

I for one will be very disappointed if NCL pulls out of Roatan for Costa Maya or anywhere else.

:confused:I just received an email from Victor Bodden the tour guide we hired for Roatan. He informed me that they settled the strike aganist the electric co. He is going to keep me updated..

Great news! Cant wait to go there in december. Glad to hear everything is going well. Such a shame what the people there are enduring.

Ditto...but if ALBA has much influence there, we may not be welcome in the future

I just got off the phone with a friend who is on the island and he said everything is fine. I dont think there is any reason to get political about all this, the riots have nothing to do with ALBA. People are just mad about their high energy costs. Appearantly people are paying alot of money and still have power outages.

I dont think there is any reason to get political about all this, the riots have nothing to do with ALBA. .

Well, several other reports do indicate at least some of the 'demonstrators' were from the mainland and paid. As for ALBA, sorry, but I think political stability in the ports of call is important-and those members don't have a lot of love for the US

Archived