Pan Am Pier in San Juan - Bacardi / Taxi to town.

No. But don't worry. ou dont want to buy Bacardi anyway. Buy "Don Q" rum. Thats the good one. Taxi to Old SJU will be < $15 and about a 10-15 min ride. Oddly enough, tei airport duty free has decent prices.

No. But don't worry. ou dont want to buy Bacardi anyway. Buy "Don Q" rum. Thats the good one. Taxi to Old SJU will be < $15 and about a 10-15 min ride. Oddly enough, tei airport duty free has decent prices.

Wow, I wasn't sure anyone else knew about Don Q other than me! I agree with you, don't buy Bacardi as that stuff is nasty, once you try Don Q (Crystal - clear bottle), you'll never go back! They also have a free small museum right across from pier 2 in Old San Juan with a free tasting bar, but I think is only open when cruise ships are in port. I think the taxi fare was around $15 to Old San Juan like dcastro mentioned.

I waited until the airport to buy liquor as I could take it on the plane, there are several nice sized liquor stores at the airport with reasonable prices, buy some Limon (green bottle) too as that is great with sprite, 7-up etc.

Thanks. But we will only have time to do close to ship.

The AOS uses the American pier at the older airport and there is nothing nearby. You will have to take a taxi to OSJ, Condado or some other destination to get near any shops, etc. OSJ is your best bet of course for tourists. To tour the Bacardi facility, you have to take a ferry ride across the bay from OSJ and then get a short taxi ride to Bacardi. They have a nice free tour and of course a souvenieger shop at the end. I saw Bacardi items in the various shops in OSJ also if you just want the trinkets. OSJ is an old city with a lot of history and most of the fortifications are still there maintained by the NP system. It is well worth some time taking in the history that happened there in the 1500-1700 era.

One additional comment, since the liquor store is past security, you used to be able to buy liquor and bring it on the AOS, but now to combat that, they have put a second set of xray machines right on the ship itself and they will confiscate your purchase until the last night.

One additional comment, since the liquor store is past security, you used to be able to buy liquor and bring it on the AOS, but now to combat that, they have put a second set of xray machines right on the ship itself and they will confiscate your purchase until the last night.

You are so right about the second x-ray machine. We were going to buy booze but DH said no. Now I was glad when the second x-ray machine popped up.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you everyone for the information on the pier.

Just noticed you are on Celebrity, the Solstice should dock at PADE, which is the smaller of the 2 Pan Am facilities and I don't believe it has a liquor store, PADW, where the AOS will be docked has the liquor store.

Archived