Guess who's going on Cunard - QM2?????

crusinmama06

ME and the family are going on Cunard's QM2. That ship will never be the same...lol. :p

I WON a 15 day Christmas/New Year's Sailing going everywhere in the Caribbean that I have never been. :D:D:D

OK so all of you Cunard experts. (where's Rebecca, she's my go to person for Cunard?) Now you need to tell me about Cunard.

I know it's super formal.

I am searching for pictures of the kids pool that I have read about. Anyone have any to share? Or is someone better at googling than me...lol.

OMG! Congratulations! How did you win this amazing cruise? Tell, tell!

I can't. :p I won it from another cruise board.

Yes I have been cheating on you all. :eek:

But I can tell you that I couldn't breathe for about 6 hours today cause I was shaking.

I can tell you the itinerary....it begins in New York and goes to Turks & Caicos, Tortola, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, St. Thomas.

This is the trip of a lifetime - seriously. I just didn't I would ever see most of these ports and to see them all at once, well its mind blowing. :D

What a FANTASTIC cruise! Afraid I can't help with Cunard (although I've always wanted to do a transatlantic), but we did take a cruise that included St. Thomas and Tortola. Your girls might like Coral World in St. Thomas (http://www.coralworldvi.com/). It's right next to Coki Beach. In Tortola, we did a catamaran sail across the Drake Channel to Norman Island, which had a great beach - my boys loved both the catamaran and the beach.

If they rerun the series, you might enjoy watching the series "Feasting on Waves" on the Food Network. Alton Brown sails around the Eastern Caribbean on a catamaran, visiting different ports and trying different foods. It'll definitely get you inspired!

Congratulations on your great prize!

What a FANTASTIC cruise! Afraid I can't help with Cunard (although I've always wanted to do a transatlantic), but we did take a cruise that included St. Thomas and Tortola. Your girls might like Coral World in St. Thomas (http://www.coralworldvi.com/). It's right next to Coki Beach. In Tortola, we did a catamaran sail across the Drake Channel to Norman Island, which had a great beach - my boys loved both the catamaran and the beach.

If they rerun the series, you might enjoy watching the series "Feasting on Waves" on the Food Network. Alton Brown sails around the Eastern Caribbean on a catamaran, visiting different ports and trying different foods. It'll definitely get you inspired!

Congratulations on your great prize!

Thank you! And ironically St.Thomas is the only port we've been to on that list. And I agree 100% with Coral World. :D

Congrats Michelle!! Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

In St. Lucia, look into Cosol Tours. www.cosol-tours.com

In Barbados, conside the Silver Moon. www.oceanadventures.bb Worth every penny. You get to go swimming with sea turtles and snorkeling. I know from your stories at least one of your girls would love this.

WOW - Am I jealous!!!!! I would love to do a Cunard crossing, but DH wants nothing to do with the line or the Atlantic crossing. If I do it, I'll have to find someone else. The ports all sound beautiful, DH's aunt and uncle have been on 38 or 39 cruises, and a couple of those are their favorites. So glad this prize went to you and your family, we'll all be waiting for details. Happy planning!

Holy Moly Michelle!!!! Curiosity got the best of me, just saw how much an interior fare is. I'm assuming that's what the prize is for, which will be a rough change from having a balcony:(

I mentioned DH's fam earlier that has cruised a lot. His aunts favorite Caribbean island is Tortola. They said the beaches are just beautiful. The further south, the bluer the water. A must see is the Baths there, I am to understand. We were supposed to be going on an NCL to the southern caribbean this Feb, but decided to save money for our DCL in Oct. I'm good with that..

SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!

WOW!!! CONGRATS! What a cool prize!

Some tips for you:

Barbados--went there on honeymoon, before kids, and visited the local cave on a tour. It was a lot of fun. We wore funny hard hats. Can't remember the name of the tour, but if you're looking for something different for the girls, this might be fun. I remember seeing lots of cool rock formations. It is very well set-up with lots of wooden walkways and colored lights shining on the rock formations.

St. Lucia--Famous for bananas. You could take a tour of a banana farm/plantation.

Tortola--just went there earlier this year, and we did not plan anything. Instead, we got off the ship and took one of those dock-side tours, where for $25 p/p they drove us around the entire island on a multi-passenger open-air van. Stopped at a local beach on the way back This tour was a great value, and lots of fun between the cool sights and the beach. I'll post pics for you.

Turks/Caicos--where are you stopping there? The Carnival Cruise port? If so, no need to plan anything b/c the beach is RIGHT THERE as you exit the ship.

Grenada--went there while on a cruise a billion years ago when I was a kid and olnly remember taking an island tour. I also remember that it's famous for being a Spice Island.

St. Kitts/Dominica--never been, but hope to someday....

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

OMG! Just noticed in your signature that you now have two cruises within 2 weeks of each other. We did that once (last year), and people thought we were insane overkill cruisers. Too funny!

CeleBrat

Actually, not now I don't. I am moving Oasis. I have a courtesy hold on a 9/11 Oasis cruise. I can't let the kids miss that much school. ;)

Shannon - yes the price of the cruise is sick isn't it? :eek: That's why I said, this is a once in a lifetime. There is no way we could do this on our own. And yes, we'll actually have 2 insides. I think I'll be ok with it. :)

ME and the family are going on Cunard's QM2. That ship will never be the same...lol. :p

I WON a 15 day Christmas/New Year's Sailing going everywhere in the Caribbean that I have never been. :D:D:D

OK so all of you Cunard experts. (where's Rebecca, she's my go to person for Cunard?) Now you need to tell me about Cunard.

I know it's super formal.

I am searching for pictures of the kids pool that I have read about. Anyone have any to share? Or is someone better at googling than me...lol.

I have nothing useful to add to this thread accept . . . I am so jealous it is ridiculous!!!!! :eek:

Congrats, Michelle, that is just totally awesome!!!

We haven't been to any of those islands yet, but we'll be in Curacao in March. I'm currently torn between shelling out $$$$$$ :eek: to do the cruise's dolphin excursion to the Seaquarium (can't do it independently because they sold ALL the spots that day to the cruiseline :() and just catching a taxi to the beach for a while and then wandering around town.

Will you be able to drive to NYC?

Dominica is beautiful, they don't have any beaches, it many me think of the movie Jurassic Park when I first saw it. We went on an island tour and took a short hike/walk to the emerald pool. It would be good with kids since it is not to long of a walk and they can swim in the pool. And by the way I am so jealous.:D

Here is a picture from the ship.

DSC01199.jpg

Congratulations!!! That's too cool and I, too, am jealous... We've done several of those ports and my brother lived in Grenada for 2 years (his girlfriend still does). If you need or want any info on Grenada, I'm willing to give you some private tour names (better than the boards). Just email me...it's my screen name at yahoo. Again, congrats!

Wow! Good for you! From the looks of the itinerary the first two days are at sea- what a great opportunity to explore the ship:)

Please, please give us all the details; how long ago did you enter the contest, had you forgotten all about it, how did they inform you that you won, did you believe them at first? What did DH say when you told him??? You get my drift:D

Several years ago we won an all expense paid trip to WDW (air, Disney resort, tickets, meals, spending money) for the four of us. I will NEVER forget the feeling when I found out we had won! Congratulations on your very good fortune!

Please, please give us all the details; how long ago did you enter the contest, had you forgotten all about it, how did they inform you that you won, did you believe them at first? What did DH say when you told him??? You get my drift:D

Oh geez...LOL! Ok....I entered about a month ago on another cruise board. They were having a contest. Yes, I sort of forgot about it. I opened my inbox and saw all of these emails from some CCers that were titled "OMG!!!!" Then I looked through the emails and saw one from the board with the details of the prize.

I was on the phone with my dh when I was opening the inbox. One minute I was talking, the next minute I stopped (VERY unusual for me...lol) and my hubby said "Well if you aren't going to talk to me, I will call you later"

And I said "Shut up! I just won a cruise!!!!"

And he said "Yeah, one of those free cruises"

And I said "NOOOOO, REALLY, I WON A CRUISE!!!!! OHHHHH MYYYY GOD!"

So the cruise is for 2 people (I am paying for the kids to go). Includes air or amtrak, concierge club level at Hyatt Grand in NYC, tickets to Radio City Christmas Spectacular, dinner at Todd English and a whole bunch of little extras like cocktail receptions, OBC, etc.

We started with insides but I am looking to pay for a balcony upgrade. :D I will know more next week. :)

This just keeps getting better and better...Hyatt concierge level, Radio City during the holidays, Todd English, and OBC!!! I can just imagine what the "little extra's" are; tea with the Queen, the entire line of Coach handbags, etc.:D:D:D Well done Michele!

My guess is they will upgrade you to a balcony. Great PR for them and a wildly satisfied customer to boot;)

This just keeps getting better and better...Hyatt concierge level, Radio City during the holidays, Todd English, and OBC!!! I can just imagine what the "little extra's" are; tea with the Queen, the entire line of Coach handbags, etc.:D:D:D Well done Michele!

I wish! lol

Actually the last time I checked they were planning ice skating at Rockefeller and a trip to the Top of the Rock. :D

Congratulations to such a lucky family!

We did part of this itinerary aboard the Galaxy two years ago and a portion the year before.

Tortola- definitely take the ferry over to the Baths or head to one of the terrific beaches.

Curacao- we loved Playa Porto Mari. The teenagers and grandparents "lounged", dh and I did a shore dive and my brother and nephew snorkeled the entire day. My review

Grenada- Sunsation Tours gave us a great overview of the island and I would not hesitate to reccommend them. My review. My brother took the kids to the beach in the afternoon and though nice, was not too thrilled with all of the vendors, dh and I were glad we skipped it and just stayed pool side on the ship.

Barbados- Definitely the Silver Moon. In all of our trips to the Caribbean, one of the best excursions we have done. My review Below dd with one of the turtles

turtlek_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

St. Lucia- Like CeleBrat said, famous for bananas, also the Pitons and the "drive in" volcano. We toured with Cosol and he was terrific. My review

We are sailing on the QM 2 this Christmas with similar ports: Cristobal, Panama, Bonaire, Grenada, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Tortola, St. Thomas. We have booked with Levi Baron at Bumping Tours for Dominica and Thenford Grey for a tour of St. Kitts.

My first 12 night cruise on the Galaxy I took 4000 photos :eek:, and this cruise our 12 yo plans on taking part in all the kid's club has to offer so I will be sure to take LOTS of photos :D and really good notes!

Lisa I have been following your posts and your picture of the turtle was one that made my eyes bug out :eek:. NO DOUBT we want to do that. And Corsol too.

It is going to take me a year to figure out all of these tours. So I will be asking a million questions.

You are doing the same ship next month. Are you taking your daughter? I will be sure to keep following your posts.

Lisa I have been following your posts and your picture of the turtle was one that made my eyes bug out :eek:. NO DOUBT we want to do that. And Corsol too.

It is going to take me a year to figure out all of these tours. So I will be asking a million questions.

You are doing the same ship next month. Are you taking your daughter? I will be sure to keep following your posts.

Yes, we will be on the Queen Mary 2 departing Fort Lauderdale on December 19. This year there will be only six of us, my parents, my 95 yo grandmother (a Cunard cruise is her life long dream so the cruise is a gift to us from her), dh, my 12 yo dd and myself. We have 3 B3 cabins with the "in hull" balconies. Not sure how that is going to be on a Caribbean cruise, but like dh says, "free is free" ;) :).

When choosing Cosol and Sunsation for our tours I specifically looked for tours which were not so long that the kids (we also traveled that year with my teenage nieces and nephew) would be bored.

Of course ask away when it comes to questions.

I have been away from the boards for a few days (little get away with DH)....and I would just like to congratulate you too...

You really deserve it and I know you will have a memorable time.

Dominica is a gorgeous island...lush rainforests and azure waterfalls. You can visit the Emerald Pool in the middle of the forest or swim in the "Champagne Glass"...There is underwater volcanic activity which produces little bubbles in the ocean . It is like swimming through champagne-good snorkeling.

Dominica is not really "gussied up" for tourists. It is a real glimpse of poverty .But the natural sights are well worth the visit.

Barbados is very nice , very"British"...cool beaches and a nice city to visit.Lots of flying fish.

I´d love to visit ST.Lucia-considered a real hot spot right now.

Have tons of fun!!!

Kim

Cruisinmama- that's fantastic.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

You will really like QM2. It is formal.

The main diningroom was just ok IMO. This is where they fall short. We have sailed QM2 three times and the best food I had was at the pasta bar in the buffet.

The youth program is really good. Not huge but well staffed and my son had a good time there. There isn't a talent show or that sort of thing but fun activities. He always wanted to go.

The pools are freshwater. There are several pools. The two that are open to children are the aft pool, which has a small infant pool and a larger pool. There is a little area with waterguns and a play area with some a little tykes house and tricycles.

Then there is an indoor pool on the top deck.

The mid-pool is adults only.

The Planetarium is really a fun thing to do. There are three different shows. You need to get tickets on deck two next to the computer lab each morning (around 9AM). They are first come first serve.

The Spa is pricey but all the services are good. If you don't want to do a treatment- I suggest getting the day pass to the therapy pool. It is very nice in there (I think it is $ 40 per day).

Have a wonderful time on QM2!:)

Archived