Colin Veitch is done

S4POPO

Bittersweet feelings - nice to see NCL turned the corner this quarter.

But sorry to see Colin Veitch step out of the limelight. He was always responsive, concerned and forward looking. I enjoyed meeting him at the end of the Pearl transatlantic - a consummate gentleman.

We wish him the very best in his next endeavor and will very much miss our interaction with him.

We also extend our congratulations to Kevin Sheehan and Andy Stuart and know they make a capable and energetic team.

Looking forward to many more NCL sailings, maybe even on an F3.;):D

I will miss him as well. A rare gentleman in a very tough industry. Always responsive to reasonable requests. The changes for better to NCL since 2000 when he stepped into the job are remarkable.

You need to register but here is a summary of his legacy

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=15508

We can all wish for a return to 3rd quarter prosperity. RCCL had a record 3rd quarter but are telling the financial community that they will weather the "dramatic" drop in 4th quarter with their book of future business and cash reserves. My TA is advising anyone booking NCL to take out supplier default insurance or check with their credit card issuer to make sure they will be covered if the worst happens. The only reason NCL is still around today is because of Apollo and Apollo's abilities to prop up a troubled business is not what it was last year. Regardless of anyone's opinion of the financial prospects of NCL, this would seem to be sound advice.

So basically come January we won't be going on our 9 day S.Caribbean cruise, because NCL will no longer be in business. Isn't it a little premature to declare that the sky is falling. Yes the travel industry in whole is hurting right now, but as you can see from tickers on here, people are still booking cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a response to my most recent email to Mr Veich. It reaffirms the belief I have held since 2004, that the gentleman is a Class Act in a world increasingly bereft of them.

I do not interact routinely with CEOs of multinational corporations, but from what I have seen in some of the Senate hearings and such recently, the world and particularly the US would be a far better place if he were the rule, not the exception.

We can all wish for a return to 3rd quarter prosperity. RCCL had a record 3rd quarter but are telling the financial community that they will weather the "dramatic" drop in 4th quarter with their book of future business and cash reserves. My TA is advising anyone booking NCL to take out supplier default insurance or check with their credit card issuer to make sure they will be covered if the worst happens. The only reason NCL is still around today is because of Apollo and Apollo's abilities to prop up a troubled business is not what it was last year. Regardless of anyone's opinion of the financial prospects of NCL, this would seem to be sound advice.

Wait a second....aren't YOU a travel agent?! Are you the one advising about NCL's possible default? Interesting.:rolleyes: Not a great rumor for NCL, I'd say.

Received a response to my most recent email to Mr Veich. It reaffirms the belief I have held since 2004, that the gentleman is a Class Act in a world increasingly bereft of them.

I do not interact routinely with CEOs of multinational corporations, but from what I have seen in some of the Senate hearings and such recently, the world and particularly the US would be a far better place if he were the rule, not the exception.

I also received a response. The man is a class act. Mr. Veitch in all my circumstances you were very " REASONABLE"!:D

He was always a pleasure to my family. I am sorry to see him go. I wish him the very best in his new endeavor. I am glad that Andy Stuart is still around ,because he is outstanding also.
I share the views of you and some of the others, he has been a part of NCL for many years, I too, wish him luck...

Nita

So basically come January we won't be going on our 9 day S.Caribbean cruise, because NCL will no longer be in business. Isn't it a little premature to declare that the sky is falling. Yes the travel industry in whole is hurting right now, but as you can see from tickers on here, people are still booking cruises.

I am sure come Jan, Feb and March of 2009, 10 and 11, NCL will still be sailing. You are right, of course it is hurting, but where some of these people get their ideas is beyond me. I think they come on here just to rattle cages...

Enjoy your Jan cruise..

Notice fortypluscruiser is new to the boards, do I smell a troll or someone that has an issue with NCL?

one more little piece of information: I have been around long enough to see cruise lines go under; normally the thing that is a red flag, they stop paying commissions or don't pay them on time, so far NCL pays quicker than almost any line we deal with..

NIta

I agree!

Colin Veich has always been a pleasure to deal with...no matter how important and/or irrelavant the issue.

He solved it...immediately!

I wish him well and will miss him :-(

Archived