Live From The JEWELL Of The SEAS

Jewell of the Seas, 10 night Western Caribbean and Partial Panama Canal Transit

Hello Everyone,

Internet access is very slow on the Jewell, even with the ships WI-FI system so please bear with me.

We drove from our home in Fort Mill, SC to Daytona Beach, FL and visited with my Mom and Brother for a few days. On Thursday we drove to Miami and stayed at the Hilton Miami Downtown. The hotel was booked for us by RCI.

Although the Hilton is an exceptionally nice hotel, we are upset with the management and the Hilton home office will receive a strongly worded letter of complaint after our cruise. We booked a smoking room with RCI long in advance. About a month ago I contacted RCI and they called the hotel and confirmed that we had a smoking room. Last Monday night I personally called the Hotel and confirmed that we had a smoking room. When we arrived we were told that the entire hotel was non-smoking and the Manager had the attitude that we should have known that. We have met three other couples on the cruise that had the same problem with the Hilton.

Like I said, it is a nice hotel, especially for non-smokers. Here is the view from our room looking north on US-1, Biscayne Blvd.

DSCN7641.jpg

Our itinerary has changed due to a "Labor action" on Labadee and Hurricane Paloma.

MIA-LAB-CTG-PTY-CTB-PRT-GCM-MIA.gif083214W_sm.gif

I will be doing a bunch of short posts because of the unsureness of the Internet here on the Jewell.

Anyway, on with the cruise…

Because we couldn't smoke at the hotel we headed for the Port of Miami Early and arrived there at 9:00 am. We had scouted the place out the evening before so we dropped off our luggage and walked across the street to some nice shady benches where we hung out until 11:00 am.

Here is the Corvette while we were waiting for and RCI guy to get our luggage. All of the people waiting were just off the Jewell and waiting for taxis or airport shuttles.

DSCN7643.jpg

Across from the two RCI Facilities is the Port Office building with nice clean restrooms and a small snack and souvenir store. It is a great place to hang out if you are killing time before boarding.

Here we are at our "hangout" across the street from the RCI building for the Jewell.

DSCN7645.jpg

At 11:00 we went into the RCI boarding building for the Jewell and within 15 minutes were through the metal detectors, checked in and on the ship. Best boarding experience we have ever had!

We haded straight for the Windjammer and an excellent lunch. Here it is!

DSCN7649.jpgDSCN7651.jpg

After lunch we went to the Pool Deck (Ugh Pooh) Smoking Area and hung our with the smokers. It is sort of like behind the gym at Junior High School.

They opened the hallways to the Cabins promptly at 1:00 pm and we headed down to our cabin.

Just outside was a barge pumping Oil into the Ship's bunkers. I suspected that somewhere there were some crewmen shoveling $100 bills into the barge but I couldn't lean out far enough to spot them and get a photo.

DSCN7655.jpg

Before we sailed we had the "Gala Mustard Drill" :D

DSCN7661.jpg

Then it was off to hob nob with the other Diamond Members in the Concierge Lounge (We made Diamond Status on our last cruise) for the sail away.

Then on to dinner in the Main Dining Room. We are at a table for 6 but only had two other diners with us. Retired Educators from NYC who made the evening fun.

DW had the Prime Rib and I had the Roast Pork and both were excellent!

RCI RUMOR ALERT!

- There was no $14.95 Steak listed on the menu in the Dining Room

We were both tired so we headed back to our cabin and out onto our balcony for the sunset.

DSCN7663.jpg

DAY 2.

Saturday morning the first task was to find the early morning coffee and sure enough it was there. I have learned to bring my own big spill proof mug. If you look close you can see it in front of the coffee machine.

DSCN7667.jpg

When the sun came up the sky was grey and foreboding!

DW was up early (I am so proud of her!) so we headed to the Windjammer for an excellent breakfast both of which were disapproved by our teams of Doctors.

DSCN7674.jpgDSCN7673.jpg

Here is a morning shot from the stern

DSCN7676.jpg

That's it for today folks.

It has been mostly cloudy all day as we head west along the north shore of Cuba. Hurricane Paloma is heading north east toward the center of Cuba and the Captain said that other than being under the outer bands of clouds we have nothing to worry about.

Very relaxing day! DW & I need some down time!

More to come tomorrow!

Great pictures! I will be on the Jewel in January. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Looks like you have a great balcony.

If you get a chance, can you confirm that the Sea View Cafe is back to the original menu and also see if they are serving crepes again in the Solarium? Thanks

Odd about the misinformation you received on the Hilton. The home page of the hotel states it is a 100% smoke free. Too bad whoever you spoke with gave you such bad information.

Great pictures! If you get a chance, can you confirm that the Sea View Cafe is back to the original menu and also see if they are serving crepes again in the Solarium? Thanks

We ate in the Seaview Café today and I was not impressed.

They are back to the original menu!

The Sausage and Lentil soup was excellent!

The Cheese burger and onion rings were, to me, ordinary.

Is the Concierge Lounge being used for the 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM drinks and snacks?

Someone had posted that the Concierge on the Jewel was having the Suite Guest join all the Diamond Members in the Crown Viking Lounge and was not opening the CL in the evenings.

Is the Concierge Lounge being used for the 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM drinks and snacks?

Someone had posted that the Concierge on the Jewel was having the Suite Guest join all the Diamond Members in the Crown Viking Lounge and was not opening the CL in the evenings.

Lola & Pete: We were departing the Jewel as Trainman-2 was embarking. The Concierge Lounge was in use 5:00-8:30 PM for 'happy hour' activities as was the Hollywood Odyssey as a secondary lounge. Nedere handled all duties herself in the CL, while bartenders and a 'gaurd' handled the HO.

Bruce

Although I will not be sailing this ship I have to say that I have enjoyed your up to the minute reportings that you have been sharing with us, thanx. The pix are wonderful as well hope that you continue you enjoy your cruise and sharing photos with us.

So looking forward to your "Live from", as I really enjoyed your "Live from the Sovereign"...How is Mom by the way? Say hi for me.

Enjoy your cruise and keep posting, I'm loving it....:D

Mom turned 90 in September and for her age is doing well. She fell and tore the skin on her leg open about a week ago but they expect it to heal OK.

Her short term memory is going and it is sad! She has done so much for me during my life and all I can do is visit often and call her every day. When I call, she sounds lonely and "down" when she answers but as soon as she recogines my voice whe perks up and sounds "bright and sunny!"

Here's to all Moms everywhere! :D

Somebody here on the Boards suggested a year or two ago that we use the new US One Dollar Gold Coins for tips on board.

I brought 100 of them with us and they are a big hit. All of the waiters and bar tenders like them and they remember us which results in super service.

Note that this is the friendliest RCI Ship we have been on!

The entire staff seems to be interested in us having a good time.

Trainman-2: We are practically neighbors!! Thank you so much for your live thread. We will be joining Don Pedro and Unberwoob on the Jewel in 4 weeks and can't wait to read your postings.

Have the crepes returned to the Solarium??? Inquiring minds want to know!! :D

Hope you have a great trip!

Martha

Archived