Uss miami

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone out there ever sail on P&O Lines SS Miami out of the port of Miami in the late '60's That was my first cruise.

frednsb,

I think you must be mistaken about the name of the ship. I don't believe that P&O (or anyone else) operated a ship by the name of Miami.

Incidentally, USS is the abreviation for United States Ship which would be the prefix for a war ship, not a cruise ship......you weren't in the Navy, were you?

Good Luck!

Stan and Jim

There was an SS Florida that operated short cruises from Miami in the 60's. It was operated by P&O Steamship Company of Miami; absolutely no business affiliation with the great P&O Lines from the UK. Here is a link with some additional information.

http://scholar.library.miami.edu/miamidigital/search/allGalleryPages.php?IDtitle=51&objNo=000024&seqNo=0001&IDmainrecord=160

Frednsb,

I stand corrected.

77001.jpg

The good news, however, is that the brochure (that you linked to) gave me enough information to find your S.S.Miami!

zim-zionAmeliadeMello.jpg

Israel-02.jpg

She is either the S.S. Zion (top) or the SS. Israel (bottom) of the Zim lines.

These ships were completed in 1956 an 1957, respectively Hamburg. They were financed partly by reparations to the State of Israel for the German atrocities of the holocaust.

Unfortunately, after initial success, the New York to Israel trade (via various ports in the Med) was not as strong as originally supposed. This was further complicated by Zim lines insistance on serving only Kosher food. By the mid sixties, both liners had been sold into a complicated series of charters and sub charters.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Zim.html

Hope this helped-

S&J

• 1 year later...
There was an SS Florida that operated short cruises from Miami in the 60's. It was operated by P&O Steamship Company of Miami; absolutely no business affiliation with the great P&O Lines from the UK. Here is a link with some additional information.

http://scholar.library.miami.edu/miamidigital/search/allGalleryPages.php?IDtitle=51&objNo=000024&seqNo=0001&IDmainrecord=160

I took it several times La Habana to Miami and back, first time around 1949-1950. To me, a small kid then, it looked huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I cruised aboard the SS Miami to the Bahamas in May 1967. This was my very first cruise. My parents took me on this cruise before my 3rd birthday. I still have the brochure and pictures from the cruise. I don't really have any memories from this cruise, but it must have made a big impression on me. I am now 45 years old and have taken 55 cruises (with three more planned for this year). In some way, the Miami is probably part of the reason that I am such a huge cruise fan.

The Miami was chartered by Peninsular & Occidental (not related to the famous P&O) and was approximately 10,000 tons.

Chuck

Archived