Love princess/rci & thinking about trying ncl

roe2ship

I have cruised with Princess (4) and RCI (2), very happy with both lines with a slight edge to Princess. I don’t care for traditional dining however I do really enjoy formal nights. We want a Bermuda itinerary and are considering NCL, specifically the Dawn.

Here are some of my concerns and questions, please....

Quality of food - Many reviews state that it is the specialty restaurants with the surcharge that are superior quality and dining room food is rather poor. We are a family of five and would not want to spend additional $$$ every night to enjoy a decent dinner.

Reservations (chaotic – true or not) Are you able to walk into the DR without reservations and not wait up to 45 minutes to an hour?? If no, can you make them everyday for the dining room and specialty restaurants??

How are the children’s programs? (7 yr olds) I have read many positive reviews on this. Can anybody share pictures of the aft where I believe there is a pool with a slide?

Are cappuccinos and espressos really free? Are they good?

Coffer makers in every room?

Are you still able to wait in cabin until your color is announced for disembarkation?

Has the Dawn been in drydock yet??

How is the weather in Bermuda in May? Water temps okay for swimming?

Finally what areas would you consider equal to those on Princess and RCI?

TIA

Quality of food - just fine. We were in a suite, had the ability to reserve at any specialty restaurant as far in advance as we liked. We ate in the main dining rooms each night and the food was fine. There is a good variety/selection all the time and surely you'll find something you like. If you happen to get something that doesn't agree with you, politely ask for a different entree.

Reservations - look, if you decide to eat at prime time when 500 other people are gong to eat (when the doors first open, maybe at just the right time to make the show, etc.) yes there's going to be a crowd. On our entire cruise, we only had to wait once, for maybe 5 minutes on "lobster night" because of the crowd. If we saw a line at the first dining room we went to, we'd go to the other and be able to walk right in.

Children's program - the one sore point of our cruise. We weren't happy with it at all. Enough said.

As far as the Dawn - like any other ship, you'll see mixed reviews. Try to take everything with a grain of salt.

We sailed on Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda and the ship and Bermuda were wonderful.

I don't have the answers to your remaining questions. You can check my review from our Star cruise a couple months ago to get some comparison with RCL.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=46096

Howard

I have cruised with Princess (4) and RCI (2), very happy with both lines with a slight edge to Princess. I don’t care for traditional dining however I do really enjoy formal nights. We want a Bermuda itinerary and are considering NCL, specifically the Dawn.

Quality of food - Many reviews state that it is the specialty restaurants with the surcharge that are superior quality and dining room food is rather poor. We are a family of five and would not want to spend additional $$$ every night to enjoy a decent dinner.

Reservations (chaotic – true or not) Are you able to walk into the DR without reservations and not wait up to 45 minutes to an hour?? If no, can you make them everyday for the dining room and specialty restaurants??

How are the children’s programs? (7 yr olds) I have read many positive reviews on this. Can anybody share pictures of the aft where I believe there is a pool with a slide?

Are you still able to wait in cabin until your color is announced for disembarkation?

TIA

Wow Tia,

I think you have been reading too many of the negative reviews and not enough of the positive ones, all lines have issues, some more than others: here is my answer to your questions and these are only my opinions. Others will see things differently.

Quality of food: Are the specialty dining rooms better? sure they are, but food is subjective and I find the food in the main dining rooms very good. As for the kids, depending on their age, they may be able to eat in the sur charge dining rooms for 1/2 of what the adult charge is, just a thought. We usually try 2 or 3 specialty dining adventures and eat in the main dining rooms the rest of the time.

Reservations are necessary or usually anyway for the specialty dining rooms, the main dining rooms will be just like Princess. If you decide you have to eat between 7 and 8pm you may have a wait, if you eat earlier or later there should be no problem...

I don't have any little ones, but have rarely heard a complaint. I have talked to many on the ships, all seem to think it is one of the best. I can't tell you much else.

Cappuccino and espresso, Free yes, great, that depends on how much you enjoy speicaly coffees?

Coffee makers in the cabins: yes, waiting in your cabin on debarkation day, yes and drydock, yes, I believe.

Weather in Bermuda in May, I assume you are looking at late May, yes you can swim and the weather should be pretty nice...

What areas are equal to RCI and Princess: we like the food at dinner better on PRincess but like breakfast better on NCL and RCI the least...Cabins will be very similar in size.

Entertainment will also be equal. Service may be better, the same or not as good, as this is always the luck of the draw to some extent. Overall, I think you will find the three lines more alike than different..

Nita

We are platinum on Princess & Diamond on RCCL. NCL is close to Princess in fun crew, great itineraries, and cheaper prices.

The Venetian dining room is HUGE and beautiful now you will feel you are in Venice. Service is very good as is the food quality. My favorite waiter there was St Hugh who we asked for every night. The menu is a variety of flavors.

Eat early & never have a line. By 7 PM it can be an hour wait.

Reservations are for specialty restaurants. Watch the bottom lines of the daily everyday for their announcement of BOGO specials at Chin Chins, Tangos, Mama's Italian & Le Bistro. Meals from 5:30-6:30 on port days.

No kids for us, but friends tell us how great the club is. There is a dinosaur slide for kids who are potty trained as all pools are. Hot tubs are for adults to relax. Not a pool for kids to play in.

Yes, they are free in the dining room for lunch & dinner. Enjoy as many as you want. Dawn does not have the free machines that Jewel has, that I have used & other ships have them and some do not also. But dining rooms have one.

4 cup coffeemaker is in every room with coffee. Ask for creamer to put in fridge.

Yes, the only cruiseline that allows that.

It has had drydocks since she was built. She is a lovely ship.

We went in April & folks were swimming in 50 degree water. May would be better & more crowded.

Triple the specialty reataurants than RCCL or Princess. WII games to play for free that neither have. We love freestyle to wear sweatshirts on chilly days and T-Shirts on war, ones. FREE laundry, so bring small bottle of detergent & zip bag of drier sheets. Iron & board thre for you to use if need be. RCCL & Princess have you pay for it.

TIA

We loved RCI. We plan to try Princess on a future cruise. We enjoyed Holland America; but they tend to have an older crowd. We have also found that the more days a cruise lasts, the older the crowd tends to be. I guess that they have more time for the longer cruises.

We had LOTS of problems on NCL; and they were totally unhelpful during the cruise, or to our letters afterward.

Freestyle Cruising ® is a farce because most everyone wants to eat at the same time causing massive lines and long waits. If you want to make reservations at one of their “premium” restaurants, it will cost you an additional $10 - $15 per person; and tips are not included, despite the fact that you are paying a $10 per person per day “service” fee. Although the service was better in the premium restaurants, the food wasn’t. I assume it is all prepared in the same galley (kitchen). Also, with traditional seatings on other cruise lines, we have always requested seating at larger tables so that we can get to know some of our fellow passengers and swap suggestions for excursions, sights to see, etc with them. We have always had great experiences doing so, and have even made friends that we kept in contact with after the cruise.

WE have sailed NCL 4 times and never had to wait to be seated. We usually et around 8-ish. I think the food in the main dining rooms is just as good as the specialty restaurants. Never had a meal that I didn't like, and I am very fussy at what I eat. If you eat in the specialty restaurants, you don't have to leave another tip. It is allready included in the $10 per day tipping. The line for a tip is only if you want to leave something extra. As far as seating goes, we prefer to sit by ourselves and that is never a problem.

Give NCL a try, it offers a more casual and relaxed atomosphere. My kids liked the RCI kids programs best, but they had a good time on NCL. I'm not saying that you will prefer NCL, but I think that you should give it a try.

Rsinj, I have read your very detailed review. I can't believe that they divided the age groups 6-12....that is ridiculous. I have read that myself but then checked into reviews here on CC, they are posted differently like 7-9 and 10-12:confused: Is it possible that your Alaska cruise had very few children? I know Princess does combine some age groups far spread out when cruising with a small amount of children.

Are the specialty coffees only free in the DR for lunch and dinner??

I wasn't aware that NCL had laundry rooms....and for free, not bad.

Rsinj, I have read your very detailed review. I can't believe that they divided the age groups 6-12....that is ridiculous. I have read that myself but then checked into reviews here on CC, they are posted differently like 7-9 and 10-12:confused: Is it possible that your Alaska cruise had very few children? I know Princess does combine some age groups far spread out when cruising with a small amount of children.

Are the specialty coffees only free in the DR for lunch and dinner??

I wasn't aware that NCL had laundry rooms....and for free, not bad.

I think the age breakdown must have had to do with the number of kids on the ship...you are right

Wellsr,

I don't know what ship you were on, but our experience has been different from yours. yes, if you want to eat between 7pm and 8pm you may have a slight wait, just like a land restaurant, but earlier or later this is rarely a problem and for the specialty dining rooms there is nothing that even suggests tips are required. If the service is above and beyond, which usually it is,yes, it is nice to leave a few bucks, but it isn't expected or required...As for reservations, yes, just like all cruise lines, the sur charge dining rooms require advance reservations. you are one of the few ever to claim the food wasn't any better in the sur charge dining rooms, No, it is not prepared in the same place as other food.

When you respond to an OPs questions it helps if you give details, not just we had issues that were not attended to. What type of problems and what ship were you sailing? Good and bad comments help posters, vague ones that are all one way or the other really do not.

It is always fascinating to see someone post for the first time and give negative comments.

Nita

Based on what another person posted on another thread where we were discussing this, apparently 6-12 was the age group for all Alaska cruises this summer - or it was just a coincidence that both of ours were divided this way.

It was not a big deal for us - we just had higher expectations. You know - we had printed out all the pages from the NCL website, showed our daughter, everyone gets excited, and then you get there and it's a big let-down. In any case, there were too many other wonderful aspects to our trip to let that one issue ruin it.

Howard

Archived