How do you keep in touch on board with teens?

Shelleywood

Hi everyone! I have a couple of kid questions I'd like everyone's opinion on. I have cruised several times but this April we are taking our children on their first cruise and I want to make sure I have all bases covered.

First of all, our children are 7, 9 and 14. I know this means they will all be in different groups on board. We are cruising on the Carnival Fantasy on spring break April 9, 2009. I know my 14yr. old can come and go as she pleases so how do I go about keeping up with her? Do you think this is too young to be anywhere on the ship without us? She is very responsible and I know she wouldn't do anything crazy to get in trouble it's the other nuts on the ship I worry about. Do any of you use the walkie talkies and do they really work? Do you find that your teens like to participate in camp carnival or not really?

2nd question is my middle son is 9 and there is no way I'm allowing him to sign himself in and out but I know he's going to want to do the unsupervised scavenger hunt. Can I go along with him so he can participate in this or is strictly off limits for parents? Do any of you have experience with your 9yr. olds doing the late night parties? Did they enjoy it or was it more like babysitting?

Another generic question, I noticed that camp carnival takes the kids to the late night shows. Did your kids enjoy this? Were the costumes too revealing? I really want my kids to have a fantastic time, so they'll love cruising as much as me and dad. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again and happy cruising!:D

To be honest, it's kinda hard to keep up with your teens while on a ship. The walkie-talkies work only sometimes and the kids lose them twice a day! The best way is to use post-it notes in the cabin. You leave them letting her know where you are too.

I would encourage your 14 y/o to stick with a group of friends.

For your 9 y/o the unsupervised scavenger hunts won't be a problem. They put the kids in groups, so officially they're unsupervised, but they're really with a group of friends. It's a lot of fun so don't let him miss it.

There is one late night party for 9 y/o. For my kids, it was the highlight of their cruise! It lasts until 3am and is worth the extra $ that you pay. You'll have to sign up before and with a spring break cruise, make sure you sign up early. It fills up.

Whether or not your kids will enjoy the shows really depends on them. They certainly won't see any more skin than they'll see at the pool, so the costumes aren't a big deal. Definitely see the comedian. It's a family show and always really funny.

In all, don't be surprised if you 9 y/o doesn't want to spend a lot of time in Camp. My boys always study the weekly schedule and go to the activities that they are interested in. They never spend all day or hours at a time in the Camp. Now, yours may be different and that's great! But just be prepared that he'll want to just do one or two activities a day and spend the rest of the time playing at the pool.

Have fun!

My daughter was 14 when we cruised last year. We have her basic safety rules - don't go to anyones cabin, and no one is allowed in your cabin. Don't linger in hallways, and travel with a group. She used sticky notes to check in. She shared a room with her older brothers and I had a key. She would leave notes telling me what she was doing; swimming, teen club, etc., and I would leave her notes there as well. She was really good about walking with a group back to her cabin at night, and always made it by curfew. We all met at a prearranged time each night before dinner, and she usually was up early enough to have breakfast with us. She had a blast - it was her favorite vacation.

I agree with the other poster; your kids may not spend a bunch of time in the kids program, but that is where they will make friends to hang out with the rest of the trip, so make sure they go to the meeting the first night.

I know my 14yr. old can come and go as she pleases so how do I go about keeping up with her? Do you think this is too young to be anywhere on the ship without us? She is very responsible and I know she wouldn't do anything crazy to get in trouble it's the other nuts on the ship I worry about. Do any of you use the walkie talkies and do they really work? Do you find that your teens like to participate in camp carnival or not really?

We use the post it note for our two children. We can always touch base like that. They can also call from phones to the room throughout the ship. Our kids are NOT allowed in the hallways where the rooms are(I am paranoid) unless they are walking to our room. For the late night events she needs to call before leaving teen activities so we can know she is on the way back etc...... We have not felt unsafe and have taken 4 cruises so far all on Carnival. Kids were 8 and 13 the first time we cruised.

I can't imagine having to lug a walkie-talkie around all the time. She will "lose" it! I'd just tell her where you'll be, and she needs to come and find you before she goes anywhere else. Chances are, she'll stay with a group that she's met.

The ship isn't as large as you may imagine--finding your people isn't that difficult. Just lay some basic "ground rules" and you'll be fine.

Archived