Cape Liberty Bayonne Cruise Port Question.

Great thread! I didn't know about the 9/11 Memorial here. Thanks for the link to the brochure.

May I please interject a question while we are discussing Bayonne? Can you see the Statue of Liberty while sailing into and out of Cape Liberty?

If we get to see the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty, what a bonus for sailing out of Bayonne!

Although the Statue of Liberty is much closer to NJ than NY, the joke is she is showing her backside to NJ while facing NY.

Bayonne terminal is a mile or 2 south of the Statue,and the Explorer will not pass by it. But you can see it clearly from the side. Bring binoculars to view the statue and all of NYC for that matter.

Here is a not so great picture of the view from our balcony.

998760306603_0_ALB.jpg

Very nice! Thanks!

Although the Statue of Liberty is much closer to NJ than NY, the joke is she is showing her backside to NJ while facing NY.

Bayonne terminal is a mile or 2 south of the Statue,and the Explorer will not pass by it. But you can see it clearly from the side. Bring binoculars to view the statue and all of NYC for that matter.

We always bring two sets of binoculars, one for each of us. :D Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Hopefully we'll have time to go visit her in person. :cool: We will stay one night pre- and one night post-cruise.

The Explorer of the Seas Captain told some passengers I had on last month, that The Explorer will now dock at the new location from that point on. . . (after their cruise)

They were on the Oct 18 Bermuda Cruise. . . .

Here is a map I made last year to show what was where at Cape Liberty. . . . I have updated it to show where the new berth will be.

Radio

;);)

CLCC2.jpg

I had an Aft cabin on the Explorer last week and they were cleaning up the pier there and getting ready for what looked like maybe some construction. It looked like it was fenced off when we returned on Sunday morning. Wasn't there some talk about Rccl building a new terminal in Bayonne? They were building something new at the pier entrance that looked like Condos or something?

There are alot of plans for the "Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor" as shown at the Bayonne Local Redevelopement Authority web site which can be viewed here:

http://www.bayonnelra.com/plan.htm

I love the Master Plan !

Here are a few images from the Master Plan. . . .

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aerial Photo

CLCC4.jpg

New Zones

CLCC6.jpg

Bayonne Point

CLCC8.jpg

Jo-Jo, which side of the ship were you on when you took the photo of the Statue of Liberty? I am assuming port side. We are currently booked in mid-hump on the starboard side but the mid-hump on the port side just became available. Trying to decide whether to make the switch.

Or anyone else who can answer. Is the port side of Explorer facing the Statue of Liberty when docked at Cape Liberty???

Thanks!

If you are on the wrong side to see Statue of Liberty from a balcony, and since she isn't easy to see anyway, when you go up to the WJ for lunch after you board (the 11th floor) just go out by the pool area and you can look out and see her in the distance but as others have already said, bring your binoculars. (There is plenty of time for this once you board) - we had an inside cabin so a balcony wouldn't have mattered.

One thing I do wish we'd have done was watch as we approached and then went under the VN bridge. Can't spell it but you can figure out what I mean. This happened during the middle of our dinner that evening (first seating). Our table mates were over a half hour late because of this and coming back into port, it's too early in the morning (fro me) when you are near it again!

If you are on the wrong side to see Statue of Liberty from a balcony, and since she isn't easy to see anyway, when you go up to the WJ for lunch after you board (the 11th floor) just go out by the pool area and you can look out and see her in the distance but as others have already said, bring your binoculars. (There is plenty of time for this once you board) - we had an inside cabin so a balcony wouldn't have mattered.

One thing I do wish we'd have done was watch as we approached and then went under the VN bridge. Can't spell it but you can figure out what I mean. This happened during the middle of our dinner that evening (first seating). Our table mates were over a half hour late because of this and coming back into port, it's too early in the morning (fro me) when you are near it again!

What time did you leave port? I'm hoping since we have a 4pm sailaway, we will be under the bridge in time to make early dinner. I'm hoping it is not too cold otherwise it will be miserable to be dressed up for dinner and outside in the cold.

This is our concern also. We are from NJ. My wife's grandfather was a Norwegian Sea Captain, lived in Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn. She watched them build the bridge when she visited every weekend as a child. I know the area like the back of may hand, NY and NJ. Fished the area since I was a kid, all the way to the Ambrose Light.

We want to be topside to take it ALL in. But, we have the early dinner seating also, and want to be there also for obvious reasons.

I know on other cruises, dinner on the first evening was usually delayed due to muster drill, sail away, luggage, etc. but the distance from port, under the Verrazano's and out to open sea is quite a distance. So I'm wondering about the timing of it all.

We left a little late on our Nov 1st cruise. This pushed our muster to 4:00 or 4:30 and if I recall correctly, we sailed around 5:00. I was still able to see us go under the bridge before our 6:00 first dinner seating. :)

Archived