Southern Caribbean - Caribbean Princess

isyer1

We are headed out on the captioned cruise in a couple of weeks and are wondering what the first night is like. The CB doesnt leave until 11 PM, is their a formal dinner or is it buffet only?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are headed out on the captioned cruise in a couple of weeks and are wondering what the first night is like. The CB doesnt leave until 11 PM, is their a formal dinner or is it buffet only?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There will be regular dinners in the dining room - whether traditional or Anytime - as well as the seafood buffet. Dress will be casual on the first night.

Have a great time!

There will be regular dinners in the dining room - whether traditional or Anytime - as well as the seafood buffet. Dress will be casual on the first night.

Have a great time!

Thanks, I was just wondering as I have never been on a cruise that departs so late in the evening. Any Idea what goes on on the ship from 3 PM until 11 PM?

We're booked on the same cruise in March. We intend to do some sightseeing around San Juan, then return for dinner. I hear that the first night has amazing seafood in the Horizon Court--we don't normally eat there, but for seafood, I'll go anywhere! Enjoy and please let us know how the cruise is.

We're booked on the same cruise in March. We intend to do some sightseeing around San Juan, then return for dinner. I hear that the first night has amazing seafood in the Horizon Court--we don't normally eat there, but for seafood, I'll go anywhere! Enjoy and please let us know how the cruise is.

We will let you know how it works out!

Thanks, I was just wondering as I have never been on a cruise that departs so late in the evening. Any Idea what goes on on the ship from 3 PM until 11 PM?

We have sailed the AOS twice out of San Juan, and it leaves around 9pm. Its a great time to explore the ship or just relax on deck. Its really like a sea day only you aren't moving. We have just chilled out on our balcony with a few beers .

Don't stay on the ship!! Use that time to explore OSJ. The shops & cafes are wonderful. There is a church close to the peir that is absolutley beautiful as well. We were there right before Christmas last year and the whole place was just awesome! Lots of decorations...wreaths, garland and lights galore.

I wish you a great cruise!!!

We have sailed the AOS twice out of San Juan, and it leaves around 9pm. Its a great time to explore the ship or just relax on deck. Its really like a sea day only you aren't moving. We have just chilled out on our balcony with a few beers .

Thanks for the info....it looks like we are leaving around 11, but that's just some more chill time.

Don't stay on the ship!! Use that time to explore OSJ. The shops & cafes are wonderful. There is a church close to the peir that is absolutley beautiful as well. We were there right before Christmas last year and the whole place was just awesome! Lots of decorations...wreaths, garland and lights galore.

I wish you a great cruise!!!

Noted, we will be OSJ the day before and after the cruise and will have to check that out. I think we will have to book some chill and explore time on the ship.

Thank you.

The seafood buffet int he Horizon is not to be missed! We usually go there for "appetizers" and then go to the dining room for dinner and possibly back there for an evening snack as it runs until 11 PM.

There will still be dinners, and crusie staff activities during that time for the passengers who remain on the ship.

Are the bars and pools open early if you board at noon and what time can you usually go to your cabins?

...this is my take on boarding.

Just back. I can't scan and didn't bring back any menu's but surely can try to answer any questions. We did enjoy the COLD seafood buffet; shrimp, lobster, crab legs plus other buffet items. Our boarding was so late that the dining room was closed for lunch. However, it is open for lunch for intransit guests as well as embarking guests. I have all Patters. I will be doing a full review in the Members Review section but it will be later than sooner, as I'm back to work too.

Port of embarkation: Pan Am pier - ACROSS THE BAY FROM OLD SAN JUAN - too crowded, lots of traffic, and very slow embarkation process. If you do a pre-cruise stay, plan to leave hotel by 11AM and get to the port early. You will have to wait outside in line but once they start processing, you will be allowed inside to a seating area (about 200 people) to wait for the desks to open. (free Rum Punch samples and you can shop in the Liquor store and bring purchases on board to your cabin.) On our embarkation day, by noon and up to 3PM, the lines were stretched up the roadway in the hot sun and without any cover in case of rain. It was not a good situation. We never had time to go into Old San JUan and we were on board about 2PM having arrived at 11:30 a.m. (There was a customs security breach which stopped all boarding at the GangWay. We were next in line to board. A crew member didn't clear customs.) Also all "in transit" guests (back to back cruisers) will have to disembark, clear customs, and get back in line to go through security again. Another very poorly run operation. I don't know if it was because it was the first time for this ship in San Juan or lack of preparation on the staff's behalf, but it was terrible for both those in transit and those in line to embark and to clear security.

Good news was our luggage arrived at our cabin before we did! We unpacked as quickly as possible before going to enjoy lunch, since we were packed several days before boarding ship.

We did all private tours, which I will be glad to comment on if you wish to email me personally before I get the review up; nanatravel at comcast dot net.

There are always embarkation day events going on like Spa Tour, Ship Tour, etc. We always take the camera and start at the top of the ship and photograph the public rooms before they are full of people. This takes up to a couple of hours.

Disembarkation was orderly, however also long. You are issued luggage tags with pre-assigned Meeting lounges and time to "meet in the lounge". This does not mean you will get off at that assigned time. It took at good hour more, before the color was called, again with lines gathering off the gangway and through customs. Orignally we had 11:15 as an assigned time. We had 2:45 PM flights. I went to the Pursor's desk and requested earlier tags, which he gladly gave me for 8:40 AM. I think we finally got through the terminal with luggage in hand about 11 AM.

Princess does not have the Express Luggage Disembarkation program at San Juan. At the airport, use the Self Service Check-in with your record locator ID for faster check-in (at American at least). We did not have to go through the Argiculture check. The baggage check-in clerk didn't even look at the scale. Both our bags were just over 50 pouns; 51 & 53. We had to do the re-packing on the way out.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I read on another post that the muster drill was at 7:30 PM. You will have to plan supper accordingly if this is in fact the correct time.

We're on theCB Feb 1 and wondered when they have the muster. Since the ship doesn't sail until 11. We were wondering if it will be early or late.

Nanatravel...did it really take you 2 hours and 20 minutes from ship to taxi? If that's the norm for the Pan Am pier, we had better request very early tags as we have an 11:30 on AA.

Embarcation and debarcation at this terminal is awful. I would request the earliest time possible so you can make your flight. We were taking a post-cruise tour, and we were told to meet at 8:00 a.m. We didn't get past customs and onto our tour bus until 10:00.

Also, we had a 4:40 flight at the airport. When we arrived at 2:00, the airport was mobbed. For the Delta flight before ours as well as our flight, there were about 25 people on standby. I don't know for sure that this is the case, but we guessed that people missed their early flights and were trying to get on later ones.

NanaTravel..... What nights were formal nights?

Thanks

Yes the Life Boat/Muster drill was at 7:30PM. All restaurants stop service at that time, so do plan your meals accordingly. You don't wear your life jacket and don't have to go outside.

Monday, St. Thomas and Friday, Aruba were formal nights (and Captains Circle party) night. First seating was 5:15 and late 7:30. We couldn't make either time schedule as Anytime diners can attend the one they like.

Oceanmotion, yes the dis-embarkation was terrible. Our friends who stayed on in San Juan for one additional night, stopped by last night to pick up their car. They had 11:15 a.m. meeting time at the Coral Dining room. Before noon, the whole group was ushed "upstairs" to another meeting site as they needed the dining room for the intransit guests. They did not get off the ship until 1PM. I don't know what the actual issues are, but I can see that there are some Customs issues. Lines moved very slowly, there were issues with passengers and crew custom problems that I witnessed first hand. Do request the earliest luggage tags if possible and have a plan B.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Nanatravel- sounds like you had a great trip- look forward to your review- we are planning to go in December and were wondering if there were any signs of the norovirus that hit the CP earlier this fall??

No none at all. I brought the hand sanitizer just in case. They had bottles of it at the buffet, where they were encouraging usage before handing you the napkin with utensils and a dish but that was it. Staff often wore plastic gloves. A few people had terrible coughs so I ran the other way! All is well with the 4 of us so far. It's cold in NH.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Just got off the ship and that 1st night they had a welcome aboard show at 10:15. Had anytime dining and never had to wait, got there between 5:30 and 6:30 most nights. First night had prime rib and flourless chocolate torte both were great. Italian night had shrimp diavalo(spicy sauce) great, and some kind of fish(good).

okay, so I'm NOT standing in line that long to board the ship....is it possible to drop off your luggage and leave immediately? we would rather arrive by taxi, leave luggage (all tagged, of course) and have it deliver us to Old San Juan for the day, then return later for cocktails and dinner after the lines are gone.

Is this possible?

okay, so I'm NOT standing in line that long to board the ship....is it possible to drop off your luggage and leave immediately? we would rather arrive by taxi, leave luggage (all tagged, of course) and have it deliver us to Old San Juan for the day, then return later for cocktails and dinner after the lines are gone.

Is this possible?

I hope its possible because it sounds like a great idea!!

Its absolutely possible. We just got back from the 11/2 sailing and that is exactly what my wife and I did. Another couple and we dropped our bags off at 11:15 and went and explored Old San Juan, the fort, and all the other stuff down there. We arrived back at 3:30 and still had to wait in line, but I believe it is because a customs situation during disembarkation that morning backed everything up.

Archived