Best Maps???

What are the best maps out there for Rome, Venice and Athens?

This subject has been covered in great detail,and it is to bad the search function is so hard to use.There are as many opinions as well as maps out there.Streetwise,Lonely Planet,AAA,etc. etc.My suggest would be to go to a travel or bookstore and look at the various maps ans ee which of them YOU like.The folding,laminated ones are really good. Also,each of the cities tourist bureau's have good city maps as well.

I bought a full-size laminated map for Rome, and it was awkward and cumbersome. Never used it. I saw another PAX using a Knopf pocket map in Venice, and she seemed to like it. They are available through Amazon.com. I know this isn't the question, but my DK Eyewitness Guide to Rome did fit into my oversized purse, and I read from it going through some of the Vatican & some museums.

I prefer the Streetwise maps. They are awesome! I don't think they have one for Athens but I have one for Rome and Venice and they are amazing! They fit in your back pocket (a man's back pocket) and I love the fact that they are laminated and have the public transportation on there also. I have used mine to sit on.... they are awesome. I have one for every major place.

A lot depends on what your intended use is.

I have and like the Knopf guide for Rome (it's sort of like a small book with pop up maps.....). I agree that the large folding maps can be tricky to use, especially while you are walking, or if it's windy or raining, etc.

Some of the best maps I have are the freebies given out at Tourist Information booths. Often they only cover the historical area -- but that may be all you need for a day's sightseeing.

I'd avoid the Pocket Pilot maps. Unless you have fantastic vision or want to carry a magnifying glass with you, they are just too small to read.

If you can find Cognescenti Maps on ebay or a secondhand store they are excellent. Unfortunately the company went out of business in 2003; we have maps for several cities but are still trying to find one for Florence. The maps have the right amount of information including historical site locations, restaurants, hotels, etc. The paper is somewhat plasticized but supple so ideal for carrying around.

Still hunting for Cognescenti Florence.:o

Kathy

We purchased the Insight folding laminated pocket maps for a number of European cities. Very compact yet fold out and have lots of information including Metro routes, attraction highlights, restaurant recommendations, and even some key phrases in the language of the area. Some of our maps I bought on Amazon and others at Books-a-Million.

There's a used one on Amazon.com.:rolleyes:

I am going there right away. I had an order in with Amazon for several months this summer then they said they could not filled it and it was cancelled. Thanks for the tip.

Just checked Amazon and ebay - no luck. Oh well, I will keep checking for the Cognescenti maps.

Kathy:)

I am going there right away. I had an order in with Amazon for several months this summer then they said they could not filled it and it was cancelled. Thanks for the tip.

Just checked Amazon and ebay - no luck. Oh well, I will keep checking for the Cognescenti maps.

Ok, let's give it one more try!

http://www.mapart.com/store/merchant.ihtml?pid=686&lastcatid=6&step=4

Good luck! Hope you are the first one there. BTW this one is in Canada, so hope that means it was meant to be!:D

Good luck! Hope you are the first one there. BTW this one is in Canada, so hope that means it was meant to be!:D

Wow, you are terrific! I just placed the order for seven Cognescenti maps including Florence and Havana. Fingers crossed that they are able to fill the order.

Many, many thanks for finding this site.

Kathy:):)

Wow, you are terrific! I just placed the order for seven Cognescenti maps including Florence and Havana. Fingers crossed that they are able to fill the order.

Many, many thanks for finding this site.

Kathy:):)

You're welcome. And this was a better price than the first one! Hope you enjoy them. I think you've made many of us aware of Cognescenti maps!

I like the Borch Map series a lot, they are detailed and laminated so you can fold them up and use them in the rain over and over. I also like the Knopf guides because the fold out maps are very detailed but not so good if its raining. I usually end up buying a few different maps, I really like maps!

I like the Borch Map series a lot, they are detailed and laminated so you can fold them up and use them in the rain over and over. I also like the Knopf guides because the fold out maps are very detailed but not so good if its raining. I usually end up buying a few different maps, I really like maps!

I do too. I like the Knopf guides, but I haven't seen the Borch series :) yet.

Maybe for our next trip.

Check out Mapeasy's guidemap to Rome. I bought mine @ Border's and even though it is very detailed, it is easy on the eye. It shows stores, hotels, restaurants, banks, etc. It is lightly laminated so it will hold up in the rain, but it also folds many ways for easy viewing when walking.

Luvcdays

Good grief, even I had to buy 7 of these maps! I have no idea what they are but they seemed like such a good price! I am addicted to maps...

Good grief, even I had to buy 7 of these maps! I have no idea what they are but they seemed like such a good price! I am addicted to maps...

We had the one of Rome last summer and used it constantly during our 6 days there; it was very hot while we were there but the map held up just fine. Lots of tidbits about the sites; good layout; flexible yet sturdy; highlights places to eat, etc. So looking forward to seeing if they are able to fill our order.

Hope you like them as much as we do.

If you can find Cognescenti Maps on ebay or a secondhand store they are excellent. Unfortunately the company went out of business in 2003; we have maps for several cities but are still trying to find one for Florence. The maps have the right amount of information including historical site locations, restaurants, hotels, etc. The paper is somewhat plasticized but supple so ideal for carrying around.

Still hunting for Cognescenti Florence.:o

Kathy

Are they still up to date enough to use the recommendations, etc?

Are they still up to date enough to use the recommendations, etc?

I believe they stopped publishing in 2003 so you would need to do a web search to check on hotel and restaurant recommendations but most of the information would still be relevant.

Kathy

I mostly care about getting to ancient sites, a good map doesn't have to be up to date because The Pantheon hasn't moved for thousands of years! :)

I can't want to get them, kind of like a surprise!

amelia

I always buy Insight's Fleximaps whereever they are available for a city I'm visiting. They are lminated street maps that are easy to handle. they always have transport guides, 10 sights you should not miss, facts for the visitor and a brief history of the place. Really great for DIY shore excursions as it gives you all the info you need without having to carry guidebooks along as well

WhooHoo! Our seven Cognescenti maps arrived today! I am doing the happy dance! Thank you so very much KCcruising07! You totally rock!

My DH was very pleased to see we finally got the Cognescenti map of Florence but shook his head at the other maps I ordered. I told him I ordered seven Cognescenti map they had because who knows we may actually go to those places some day!

MANY, MANY THANKS KC!

Archived