Single accomodation on Great Wall overland - what to do during free time by myself

AWorldCruise4Me

Hi Everyone, I have booked Princess's 4 day overland tour to the Great Wall. As you can see from the agenda below there is free time on day 1 and 3. I am going by myself. What do you suggest that is safe to do by one's self when you are language impaired (only know English)? I am a little nervous to wander around when I don't know what areas are safe to do that in. Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!

Michelle

-------------------

Overland Adventure: Beijing & The Great Wall - Single Accommodations

Fly to Beijing on a four-day, three-night adventure to experience the glories of China. Tour the Forbidden City and visit Tiananmen Square and the Temple of Heaven. Stroll the battlements of the Great Wall and view the tombs of 14 Ming emperors.

DAY ONE - SHANGHAI / BEIJING

Drive to the airport for your flight to Beijing. On arrival, transfer to the to your hotel for check-in. The rest of the day is yours; a dinner buffet is served at your hotel.

DAY TWO - BEIJING / FORBIDDEN CITY

Set out on a full day of sightseeing after breakfast.

WHAT YOU VISIT

The Forbidden City ? This complex of palaces, pavilions, gardens and ceremonial courtyards was home to the imperial court of 24 Ming and Qing emperors.

Tiananmen Square ? The 17th century Square of Heavenly Peace stands next to the Forbidden City. Designed for massive gatherings, the square accommodates over a million people.

Temple of Heaven ? The circular, three-gabled temple was completed in 1440. Every winter solstice the emperor would visit the temple to pray for a good harvest.

LUNCH

A lunch of Beijing-style dishes is served at the Regal Palace Theatre Restaurant.

PEKING DUCK BANQUET

Visit one of Beijing's leading restaurants for a classic banquet featuring Peking duck. The dish was a favorite dish of the Ming emperors.

ACCOMMODATIONS

Overnight lodging is again at your hotel in Beijing.

DAY THREE ? BEIJING / GREAT WALL

After breakfast, board a motorcoach for the approximately 47-mile drive to the Great Wall.

WHAT YOU VISIT

The Great Wall - Begun in the 3rd century B.C. to protect China's northern border from marauding nomads and ?barbarians', the Wall stretches over 4,473 miles east to west. Today, it remains a poignant reminder of the painstaking endeavours of the workers who struggled to complete it. Please wear comfortable shoes with soft rubber soles, as the walkways' worn stones are frequently slippery.

Ming Tombs - The tombs of 13 Ming emperors are located in a tranquil valley. Each tomb is located at the foot of a hill, and the road called Shen Lu, the ?Sacred Way', links all. This 4.5 miles road, once forbidden to all but the emperor's funeral cortege, leads to Changling, the grand tomb built for Emperor Yongle in 1427.

SHOPPING

Browse for souvenirs and crafts during a shopping stop on your return route to Beijing.

LUNCH

Lunch is served at a restaurant near the Great Wall.

DINNER & ACCOMMODATIONS

The remainder of the day is yours; dinner is on your own. Overnight accommodation is again at your hotel in Beijing.

DAY FOUR ? BEIJING / HONG KONG

After breakfast and checkout, transfer to the airport for your flight to Hong Kong where you rejoin your ship.

It depends on your hotel location> We stayed at the Pennisula which was a short block from the major shopping area. We used our free time to go there.

You could check with your hotel concierge about other tours you could take.

If there are other singles you could get together for dinner.

Your tour doesn't include the summer palace area which is interesting.

Check out the web site viator for other tour ideas.

also trip advisor and virtual tourist for other ideas.

You also could book a massage at your hotel if available.

And you might just want to curl up with a good book.

You may want to return to Tianenmen Square and The Forbidden City and do some sightseeing own your own and not part of a group. There is so much to absorb! If interested, at the Square, there is Mao's Masoleum that could be visited, a museum is located there, and the Great Hall of the People, but I am not sure that it is open to the public. Be sure to have a good guidebook with you.

Archived