First RCCL cruise

Hey everyone,

DH and I will be Cruising with my SIL who works on Board the EOS Jan 2.

We've never been on RCCL before and I wondered if you could be so kind and tell me what to expect?

Dinner attire? Formal? Elegant?

Entertainment?

What are some of the extras we have to pay for?

For those who have been on the EOS, what is the one or two things we should not miss.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

A good place to look for uber-useful info is the RCCL FAQ that is stuck to the top of this board.

Formal nights: Dress up if you like to, I suggest something a cut above jeans if you don't want to dress up, others may (and will) suggest jeans are okay. Others will disagree. Then the pro-jeans people will disagree with the pro-black-tie and/or the "not necessarily black tie but anti-jeans" people. And then we will start yet another thread exploring the subject of what to wear at formal dinners.

Most stuff is included with the price of your fare except: laundry/dry cleaning; specialty coffees and munchies from Lattetudes; service charge on food from Johnny Rockets; the infamous $14.95 NY striploin steak on the dinner menu; all alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks except for water, iced tea, lemonade and coffee (which sometimes tastes vaguely like coffee); photos (ok, the photographers take them for free, you pay for the prints if you like them); internet surfing (way slow, waaay expensive); dinner surcharge for meals at Portofino's and Chops; murder mystery dinners; off-ship tours and excursions booked through the ship; gratuities for the room attendant, head waiter, table waiter, assistant waiter, the guy who chopped up the salad, and his friend who watched while he chopped up the salad; bingo cards; spa treatments; hairdressing; missing the ship's departure and having to fly to the next port to meet the ship; and something else that I was thinking about but forgot by the time I got to the end of this list.

A good place to look for uber-useful info is the RCCL FAQ that is stuck to the top of this board.

Formal nights: Dress up if you like to, I suggest something a cut above jeans if you don't want to dress up, others may (and will) suggest jeans are okay. Others will disagree. Then the pro-jeans people will disagree with the pro-black-tie and/or the "not necessarily black tie but anti-jeans" people. And then we will start yet another thread exploring the subject of what to wear at formal dinners.

Most stuff is included with the price of your fare except: laundry/dry cleaning; specialty coffees and munchies from Lattetudes; service charge on food from Johnny Rockets; the infamous $14.95 NY striploin steak on the dinner menu; all alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks except for water, iced tea, lemonade and coffee (which sometimes tastes vaguely like coffee); photos (ok, the photographers take them for free, you pay for the prints if you like them); internet surfing (way slow, waaay expensive); dinner surcharge for meals at Portofino's and Chops; murder mystery dinners; off-ship tours and excursions booked through the ship; gratuities for the room attendant, head waiter, table waiter, assistant waiter, the guy who chopped up the salad, and his friend who watched while he chopped up the salad; bingo cards; spa treatments; hairdressing; missing the ship's departure and having to fly to the next port to meet the ship; and something else that I was thinking about but forgot by the time I got to the end of this list.

Thank You for the valuable information. I will check out the RCCL faq's. :)

Hey everyone,

DH and I will be Cruising with my SIL who works on Board the EOS Jan 2.

We've never been on RCCL before and I wondered if you could be so kind and tell me what to expect?

Dinner attire? Formal? Elegant?

Entertainment?

What are some of the extras we have to pay for?

For those who have been on the EOS, what is the one or two things we should not miss.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Don't miss Quest or the Ice Show.

Which EOS will you be on, Explorer or Enchantment? They are two very different ships so we need to know which one you will be on.

Edit - I went back to look at your original post and saw that you will be on Explorer. Things that I suggest not to miss are a trip to the helicopter pad on the bow of the ship, deck 5. Go there the day you board so you can see what is there. It's a great view. It's a great place to star gaze at night because there are no lights up there that would interfere with the crew be able to see from the bridge. Another don't miss is the ice show. Last, the oatmeal raisin cookies from the Promenade Café are delicious.

Archived