Excursions on St. John

jajsmom

Help! We're leaving in less than 2 weeks. Trying to decide between two ship excursions on St. John--the St. John Eco Hike and Snorkle, or the St. John Island Tour. Please tell me anything you can about them, and what you liked or didn't like about them. Thanks.

Lauri

We did the St. John Eco-Hike (no snorkling included) about 4 years ago. The tour guide was a real outdoorsman and very knowledgable about all of the flora and fauna of St. John, as well as plenty about its history. He picked us up at the ferry landing, and we walked into the national park. The approx. 1.5 mile hike was steep and narrow at times, but with beautiful views. We stopped at Honeymoon Beach, where we swam for about 45 minutes, then went to the ruins of an old sugar plantation and rum distillery. From the plantation, we were picked up by bus and driven back to the ferry dock.

We really enjoyed this tour. Hope this helps.

DavidnSteph

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have mentioned that I have a DS 14, and a DD 11. They're slugs! Would the hiking be OK for them? Also, did you get any time to shop? I'm not a huge shopper, but I do like to get a magnet for the refrigerator in every port.

Lauri

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have mentioned that I have a DS 14, and a DD 11. They're slugs! Would the hiking be OK for them? Also, did you get any time to shop? I'm not a huge shopper, but I do like to get a magnet for the refrigerator in every port.

Lauri

Though the trail through the national park was occasionally steep, it should be fine for the average 11-14 year old. Just bring enough bottled water, and wear sturdy shoes.

As 138east said, there is plenty of shopping at Havensight. If you happen to be at Crown Bay, there will also be ample souvenir shops. On the part of St. John we visited, there was very little or no shopping.

DavidnSteph

Thanks DavidnSteph. We're docking at Havensight. I have a St. Thomas magnet from last year. I was hoping to get one from St. John this year. Maybe I'll have time to run into a shop in Cruz Bay.

We haven't decided on which excursion to do yet, but as today's the last day to book online, will play russian roulette on the ship.

Lauri

Lauri, St. John is a great place to just do a beach on your own for the day. Take a taxi to Red Hook, and then the ferry over to St. John and then a taxi to either Trunk or Cinnamon Bay. Trunk and Cinnamon Bays are wonderful! There are even trails to old sugar plantations from Trunk. We love this island, and would NOT miss the beach!

Have a great cruise!

Archived