Swimsuit cover-ups? What and where?

Hellann

Hi! Cruise and board newbie here.

I am wondering what exactly is a cover up for a bathing suit. I think of a wrap around towel, a bath robe or shorts and shirt. I just don't know. Anyone have any pics or sites to show me. (I would need plus size, yikes, eh?!)

Do you just wear them around until you go back to your cabin to change? I assume I would need sandals or flip-flops also?

Thanks for the info! (We will be going on Celebrity)

Heather

Sorry I can't point you to a picture but a cover up is more than a towel & is not usually a bath robe. You can buy them almost anywhere suits are sold. Some people (including me), often wear a long t-shirt (make sure it hangs to at least mid-thigh). I've got 3 other colorful dress style coverups. Many suits come w/ wraps that match the suit you can tie around your waist. I'm blanking on the name but there is another style, it's usually a big square / rectangle, you tie around you like a towel / dress & wear. Those are very popular & will be sold on ship & in all the islands. Last summer I saw a lot of stores selling see through genie style pants as cover ups.

You do need flip flops or something for your feet.

The last poster was right- most places sell them with their swimsuits. Many are available online.

For example, Landsend has a plus-sized cover up that comes in up to 3x. Most that I have seen look like a casual t-shirt dress.

91011_AE04_M1_NVE001406_M.jpg

You can also get a wrap skirt like this one at Landsend (also in up to 3x)

96129_AE04_M1_SOK009999_M.jpg

I am also a plus-size and went to cotton ginnny in the fall and got a long jersey material dress with tank top, which I will feel fine going into the buffet with my bathing suit underneath (and it was only $12- end of season sale!)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Is a sarong tied over a one-piece suit okay to wear if I want to take a break from the sun and wander the ship for a bit? Or do I need to stick with the T-shirt dress that actually covers the suit? Or do I need to change into "street clothes" for areas other than the pool deck?

Nothing beats a pareo or sarong. Lightweight, inexpensive, dries in a minute, can be worn in a variety of styles, availabile in all sorts of colours and prints. Not only does it function as a beach cover-up, but is also much more comfortable for lying on the beach than a towel (and it does not pick up sand !). Check out this website. http://www.*****.com/sartiesusetc.html

Thanks for all of the info and links! I knew you all would be able to help. :)

I am also interested in Happystamper's question of ship etiquette of wandering around in cover up, or go change a few times a day? Thanks everyone.

On my last two cruises I saw many women with the sarong type wraps walking around the ship and even in the buffet dining room on the Lido Deck. But, it may depend on what cruiseline you are on as to whether this is appropriate (and also what type of swimsuit you are wearing!). :D

I've started wearing tankinis since they are more comfortable than one-pieces! I like the kind that cover up the tummy!! For the cover-up, I wear a simple black skirt! You can wear this even in town after a shore excursion of swimming, etc!!! The top just looks like any tank top!

As far as swimwear etiquette around the ship....I've seen everything! If you want to get some lunch in the buffet or BBQ, a cover-up is great, but if you eat in the Dining Room, you'd have to change. Just walking around the ship as a break from the sun, your cover-up should be just fine. I always wear flip-flops or sandles to the pool area too since the flooring can sometimes be VERY hot!

Maybe someone who is plus size and cruised can help me. We are cruising in Jan to Comuzel and Grand Cayman. I haven't had a bathing suit on in years. I was wondering if there were other plus size woman who did the water excursions. I'm about a 3x and would sure appreciate any honest feedback from others. On issues such as wearing a coverup into the water, activities that are not suitable for BBWs. Thanks in advance.

Hi! Cruise and board newbie here.

I am wondering what exactly is a cover up for a bathing suit. I think of a wrap around towel, a bath robe or shorts and shirt. I just don't know. Anyone have any pics or sites to show me. (I would need plus size, yikes, eh?!)

Do you just wear them around until you go back to your cabin to change? I assume I would need sandals or flip-flops also?

Thanks for the info! (We will be going on Celebrity)

Heather

Uhmmmm Heather, have wondered about the definition of bathing suit cover up on cruise ships since I took my first cruise. Seems to me, IMHO, what is considered a cover-up for one might not be considered by others.

While cruise politics say you must wear a ``cover up,'' rules don't say what part you must cover up - bottom, top, altogether? Have seen all kinds of cover type styles used from towels wrapped around the middle to leg portion of females to extra-large shirts worn over swim suits.

I personally have been using the T-shirt approach on past cruises which works fine, but I've always dreamed of a gauzy type beach cover-up - with pockets, buttons and a ``Lorreta Young'' type feeling when the breeze blows in just the right way.

Found one on a clearance sale on a popular catalog clothing marketer for about $6. It's gauze, will dry easily and I can use it as a bathrobe in my cabin. Bought it in white so it would work with any swim suit I wear. Can't wait to try it out on our next cruise later this month.

But don't sweat the small parts of your cruise, like what to wear for a cover-up. Sarongs to the cruise ship's own beach towels, t-shirts to long, top & bottom covers will work. Wear what you feel comfortable in and enjoy your cruise. :)

Maybe someone who is plus size and cruised can help me. We are cruising in Jan to Comuzel and Grand Cayman. I haven't had a bathing suit on in years. I was wondering if there were other plus size woman who did the water excursions. I'm about a 3x and would sure appreciate any honest feedback from others. On issues such as wearing a coverup into the water, activities that are not suitable for BBWs. Thanks in advance.

I am plus size as well and I always go snorkling and to the beach, and not just on cruises. I have about 5 swimsuits that I have bought from Avenue as well as cover ups that I have picked up at Fashion Bug. I don't care what others think, if I look and feel comfortable I am doing what I want.

On other land trips, I have found items that I use as cover-ups. They are like a long tank top, come a few inches above the knees, scoop neck, sometimes with a logo on the front. I got one in one of the shops in Playa del Carmen and love it. It has 2 pockets in the front to put sun glasses, keys etc. You see them in all the touristy stores for a reasonable price. I'm not exactly plus size but I feel more comfortable in something like that for a coverup than a wrap. They cover more ground, if you know what I mean.

Ziggy, thank you so much for that web site. I just ordered a new bathing suit and matching cover up (Ombre shaded sheer striped cover-up and shaded maillot swim suit with clip back . . . does anyone know what a clip back is?). And . . . on sale . . . total was only $79.98 ($91.97 with shipping) . . . that's under $100 for both a bathing suit and cover up. It's beautiful and loved the blue/auqa color . . . think I'll even be able to wear the aqua slacks I bought last year to wear as a cover up . . . because there are so many hues and shades . . . I know I'll be able to wear those slacks with the swim suit too (the pants are sort of sheer and match the swim suit I purchased last year). Though my next cruise isn't until next April . . . I'm ready to go. These boards are fantastic . . .

A clip back (at least when I had one) meant that the straps of the bathing suit clip in the back (I'm not being patronizing, I swear). Think of the traditional "racer back" style where the straps meet in the middle except instead of being sewn (sewed?) there is a clip. Usually it is worked so that the two sides slide together and then click securely. Good for lounging, light snorkeling and splashing in the water. NOT good for any kind of more active swimming, such as laps or water arobics or the like. Also not good to wear at co-ed summer camp...but that's another story entirely :) They can also sometimes be tricky to do up, depending on how long your arms are. having a buddy can be helpful or sometimes you can just clip it and then treat it like a regular suit. Have a great cruise!

Super_Grover . . . thanks for the letting me know what a clip back is. Sure hope I'll be able to hook it myself as I'll be cruising solo . . . oh what the heck . . . I'll just ask my cabin steward for a little help. Tee Hee! Just as long as it doesn't come "un clipped" while I'm snorkling, I'll be fine . . .

I bought a suit from Landsend this past summer with a clip back---no way could I do it myself. It's a real pain when you have to go potty!;)

Haven't you learned the trick of just pulling the suit to the side?!? Much more convenient than peeling off a wet one-piece suit and then trying to pull it back on again!

Archived