Caveat emptor on NCL suites

Slyfox16

This is why the AD's and AE's are much better. Same suite (size, layout, etc) but on the aft. No wind, no weather problems, no lighting problems, much more private balcony, etc. This is why we only stay in AD's when on NCL.

You really can't compare the ADs and the AEs with the ACs as being the "same suite". The ACs are a true penthouse. The furniture is on a completely different level (as is the bathroom), the size of the balcony is amazing. Also, several of the ACs are indeed much larger.

So it isn't apples to apples, but I can certainly understand a preference for an AD or an AE.

I don't know about the hatch door thingie.. Would you tell more about that?

The bow suite doors to the front balconies have a full metal door that you are supposed to close at night. Think submarine hatch. This is a second door, there is a "regular" door for day use.

When your room is made up at night, the steward will close these hatch doors.

However, we always opened it right back up and left it open all night - as does pretty much every one else. (Obviously, in bad weather, you would keep it closed though.) There still is a full picture window, so you aren't closed in.

There are so many new people on these boards - anyone else remember the "Rogue Wave" on the dawn? We sailed in an AA a few weeks after that - the AC that really got nailed was still not restored. Wonder if they had the hatch door closed?!

I don't know about the hatch door thingie.. Would you tell more about that?

Here is a view of the AC cabin with both balcony doors closed ...

9500Pan1.jpg

And here is a view with the inside door open ...

9500_3275.jpg

And here is a closer view ...

9500_3276.jpg

And here is a view with both doors open ...

9500_3282.jpg

And here is a view from the "other side" ...

9500_3280.jpg

Having been in the AC on deck ten that was damaged in the Rogue Wave incident I can assure you, the hatch door was definatey closed. As an added note, the railing broke off and smashed the window, that was how the water entered the cabin, not through the door.

We loved the forward cabin so much that when we cruised again the following year we booked the exact same cabin. For us,having that front balcony is definately worth dealing with a bit of wind.

Having been in the AC on deck ten that was damaged in the Rogue Wave incident I can assure you, the hatch door was definatey closed. As an added note, the railing broke off and smashed the window, that was how the water entered the cabin, not through the door.

We loved the forward cabin so much that when we cruised again the following year we booked the exact same cabin. For us,having that front balcony is definately worth dealing with a bit of wind.

I remember reading postings at the time. How scary that must have been! Those doors and windows are incredibly solid, amazing how they were smashed through.

Out of curiosity, how rough had it been that evening?

Here is a view of the AC cabin with both balcony doors closed ...

And here is a view from the "other side" ...

9500_3280.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words!

On a different note, did they replace the wonderful Teak furniture on these decks? This almost looks plastic.

You really can't compare the ADs and the AEs with the ACs as being the "same suite". The ACs are a true penthouse. The furniture is on a completely different level (as is the bathroom), the size of the balcony is amazing. Also, several of the ACs are indeed much larger.

So it isn't apples to apples, but I can certainly understand a preference for an AD or an AE.

I'm going to tell you.. Our first cruise was in an AC and the last three have been in AE's and the furniture was all the same, almost identical, in each cabin. Our last AE was on the Pearl and the furniture was exactly the same as is in the pictures the other posted has on this thread. To be honest, the stateroom even looks to be about the same size as our AE's.

On a different note, did they replace the wonderful Teak furniture on these decks? This almost looks plastic.

Hate to give bad news.. but they did replace the teak furniture fleet wide with the plastic stuff in the picture. We were on the Star Nov 07 when they replaced ours mid cruise. It is actually very comfortable though.

I'm going to tell you.. Our first cruise was in an AC and the last three have been in AE's and the furniture was all the same, almost identical, in each cabin. Our last AE was on the Pearl and the furniture was exactly the same as is in the pictures the other posted has on this thread. To be honest, the stateroom even looks to be about the same size as our AE's.

My memory must be bad ... we sailed in an AA, had friends in an AC, and my memory was that the AC furniture was the higher end furniture, and that the bathroom was as well.

So are you allowed out on the Balcony when the ship is in motion or at night? Or is the warning just posted so they can CYA.

I can understand keeping the lights off for the bridge, but I agree with some of the other posters about the pluses of having a forward facing balcony. Having just been off the dream a couple of weeks ago, I liked being able to go out to the front and just stare out at the sea and the stars with minimal light pollution. Those are factors I would consider if I was going to book some sort of suite (although I generally am a budget traveler).

So are you allowed out on the Balcony when the ship is in motion or at night? Or is the warning just posted so they can CYA.

We were able to go out on the balcony while the ship was in motion and at night. I don't think you'd want to do it in rough weather, and if they expect anything at all, the stewards will make sure the watertight door is closed. I think they may have the ability to lock it as well, but it was never locked on our cruise.

The bow suite doors to the front balconies have a full metal door that you are supposed to close at night. Think submarine hatch. This is a second door, there is a "regular" door for day use.

When your room is made up at night, the steward will close these hatch doors.

However, we always opened it right back up and left it open all night - as does pretty much every one else. (Obviously, in bad weather, you would keep it closed though.) There still is a full picture window, so you aren't closed in.

There are so many new people on these boards - anyone else remember the "Rogue Wave" on the dawn? We sailed in an AA a few weeks after that - the AC that really got nailed was still not restored. Wonder if they had the hatch door closed?!

We sailed in that AC in Jan. 2007. It had been restored, but there was still some water damage on the legs of some of the furniture. And it's precisely because of the rogue wave that I'd close that bulkhead door at night. :eek:

We LOVED the AC and would take it again in a heartbeat! We much prefer that to the stern. But it sounds like we're in the minority here.

My post had five photos, so does that mean it was worth 5000 words? :confused: :D

I can understand keeping the lights off for the bridge, but I agree with some of the other posters about the pluses of having a forward facing balcony. Having just been off the dream a couple of weeks ago, I liked being able to go out to the front and just stare out at the sea and the stars with minimal light pollution. Those are factors I would consider if I was going to book some sort of suite (although I generally am a budget traveler).

I spent a lot of time out on the balcony while the ship was moving ...

This photo was taken the morning before we arrived in Acapulco ...

SRAca_3656.jpg

So was this one ...

SRAca_3660.jpg

Here we are approaching Acapulco ...

IMG_3682.jpg

This photo was taken while cruising in the Caribbean ...

SRCar_4797.jpg

This photo was taken the morning prior to our arrival in Puerto Vallarta ...

SRPV_3530.jpg

And this photo was taken shortly after a big wave hit us ...

IMGP0841.jpg

And here is a link to about 200 photos taken while cruising through the Panama Canal (the reason I wanted a forward facing balcony) ...

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562720921fzjepy

AF Mini, AE, and AC bathrooms are all the same. You do not get to luxury bathrooms until AB+
The bathrooms are the same? :confused: You mean those poor people in the back of the ship (where the AE cabins are) have to run all the way to the front of the ship (where the AC cabins are) just to use the bathroom? :eek: I know the bathroom was in the AC cabin because I was there.

So lets see, this is your typical standard ocean view bathroom ...

GardenVillabathroom.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

And this is what you can expect in an AB suite ...

The AB suites have two bathrooms ...

This is the master bathroom (his & hers) ...

outhouse.jpg

And this is the second, smaller bathroom ...

amati_Outhouse_inside.JPG.jpg

Archived