1st time to cruise w/family--will RCCL make everyone happy?

momof3wildboys

Hi, this is my first post. I have read the reviews until my eyes are crossed. My kids will be 8,11 &14 and really want to go on a cruise. I'm looking at FOS in summer 2009, Caribbean. FOS sounds like it has something for everyone--but is it so crowded that there are throngs of people everywhere? Would it be better to do a smaller RCCL ship? Since we have 5, it sounds like the only "budget" option is 2 rooms, suites appear very expensive. I've looked at Disney, but the older 2 are not that into Disney anymore, and Disney seems very expensive. And finally, how do you find a good travel agent that really knows cruising? I called someone locally and it seems all they did was call RCCL on the other line and tell me what they said. I can call RCCL by myself.

Thanks for any input!

The larger the ship, the more room for everyone to "spread out"! Either the Freedom or Voyager class ships will be great for families. Lots to do, no feeling of "crowdedness"...

Just book directly through RCI--it's the easiest way to keep control on your plans! Do have the deck plans when booking--you'll want to see what you're paying for, as far as the cabin goes!

We took our 5 kids on a freedom class ship around the mediterannean this summer and they had a blast. This class of ship has something for everyone, and they will make plenty of friends. Features that will appeal to the older kids are the flowrider wave pool and the rock climbing wall. The 14 year old will make friends with others at the "Adventure Ocean" where they have their own lounge and nightclub. There are 3 family pools including a small waterpark for the younger kids. In addition there is an adults only pool and 2 cantilevered whirlpools hanging out from the deck, where you can relax with impressive 180 degree views. On top of this there is Ice skating, organized activities Johnny Rockets burger restaurant, Cinema, Theatre, mini golf, etc.etc. I guarantee the kids will love it, although you may never see them for 7 days unlesss you set rules!

If it is within your budget, a good choice of rooms for 5 would be 2 adjoining balcony cabins. One would obviously need to sleep 3. This combination would give you the extra space and the all important 2 bathrooms. Some cabins have interconnecting doors, which for a family gives you that added sense of space and convenience when you want it. In an event the balcony dividers can be retracted by the steward if you want it. This choice is a much cheaper option than a suite.

Certainly it is a busy ship, but there is so much to do, and with a bit of planning the crowds shouldn't reduce your enjoyment to any meaningful extent.

You have not seen crowded until you have done a Disney ship. ;) So, no, Freedom will not be AS crowded. Yes, there are more people onboard...but it is a bigger ship...more space to spread out...less kids than a Disney ship and more pool choices. :)

Yes, you will need two cabins.

Unless you really want to deal with a TA, then just call RCCL directly. They can tell you what's available.

If it is within your budget, a good choice of rooms for 5 would be 2 adjoining balcony cabins. One would obviously need to sleep 3. This combination would give you the extra space and the all important 2 bathrooms.

On the Freedom class there is an even better option. On Deck 9 there are two pairs of oceanview staterooms that connect to a balcony stateroom. This would save a little money over a balcony/balcony combo, yet still give them a balcony.

Hi, I just wanted to chime in. I'm just like you, brand new to cruising and I have been reading books, reviews and any advice I can get! I got lots of great advice on this board yesterday.

I went to a local TA last week and she was clueless and she too just called RCCL. She called and found us two balcony rooms. I'm not having much luck with TA's so I'm trying to take it on myself. Well today my husband called RCCL and they told us we could book a family stateroom. It's quite cheaper than two balcony rooms. Now it doesn't have a balcony, but it sleeps up to six and it has an ocean view. Looking at where they are located I'll probably end up seasick, but hey if it saves me a couple of thousand dollars then so be it. I don't know if this is the case with your ship, but we are leaning strongly to the Mariner.

Good luck!

RCCL can't "make" you happy but they do offer enough choices and activities so there is something for everyone. We're an active family and we really enjoyed all of the activities- rock climbing, ice skating, mini-golf, the pools, etc. Our 4 year old was quite entertained as well as my 85 year old grandmother, and we (late 30's) had a great time too. So, our experience was that there was something for everyone and everyone had a blast. I don't think that you can go wrong.

Someone mentioned a family suite and that is a great option. We got a steal on ours and it worked out quite nicely. However, it didn't have a balcony and considering that our son is 4 and goes to bed early, a balcony would have been a nice place to hang out while he was sleeping.

We've done a Voyager class ship and it never ceases to amaze me how much space there is aboard these ships. There were times when we were literally the only people playing mini-golf, walking the promenade, having a drink at the back of the ship, etc. Of course if you visit Johnny Rockets at noontime it will be crowded, but honestly, these ships are so vast that they never seem crowded!

If there are things that you absolutely don't want to miss then it is important that you be somewhat organized. For example if you know you want tickets to the ice show then you'll probably want to put some effort into getting to deck 3 on your first morning to snag tickets....you get my drift! The Compass will become your best friend!

By the way, my definition of crowded is WDW, at noontime, any day, any park, any time of year, anywhere:D

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Congratulation on your choice of boards. The folks on these boards are extremely helpful:)

Archived