Jeep reservation issues

jonj

I have been reading through the threads about rentals in Aruba as we want to rent a jeep in August while the ship is in port.

Has anyone had a positive experience and if you have which company was it?

we are looking to rent at the ship pier not at the airport

We are leaving next Sunday on our cruise and will be in Aruba on Tuesday, May 20. We have a jeep reserved for the day. I will report back and let you know how things worked out for us.

• 2 weeks later...

We were happy with our jeep rental. We pre-reserved with Smart Rent-A-Car using the link on their website. Jorge Jimenez met us at 9:00AM prompt outside of the port of call mall, we completed the paperwork and drove off. The jeep had about 70,000 miles on it and had some scrapes and bumps but worked perfectly for us for the day. We met him back at the same spot at a designated time and turned the car over to him. After reading so many bad reviews on car rentals in Aruba, I was glad we had a good experience.

We were happy with our jeep rental. We pre-reserved with Smart Rent-A-Car using the link on their website. Jorge Jimenez met us at 9:00AM prompt outside of the port of call mall, we completed the paperwork and drove off. The jeep had about 70,000 miles on it and had some scrapes and bumps but worked perfectly for us for the day. We met him back at the same spot at a designated time and turned the car over to him. After reading so many bad reviews on car rentals in Aruba, I was glad we had a good experience.

Thank you so much for remembering to come back and post your experience

My friends and I rented two Suzuki Sidekicks for 65$ per vehicle for the day at a place very near the port. We had no problems and were fortunate that one of the couples in our group had been there before so they/we just followed the tour buses around for awhile then we went to the public beach (Baby Beach?) for some amazing snorkeling.

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to ask when you make the reservation for an automatic transmission. Some of the Wrangler models are standard. You can get the Daihatsu and others that are more car-like and they're easier to come by as automatics. Just a reminder.;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We just rented a front wheel drive Hyundai Santa Fe from Amigo Car Rental. http://www.amigocar.com/ The vehicle was brand new. We were very pleased with our experience. They rent standard and automatic Wranglers as well.

I have read every thread I can find...but I can't get my head around if you should reserve a vehicle prior to visiting or are there plenty of options once you get there. We are coming in for the day on a cruise in March 2009.

A jeep is REQUIRED to get to the Natural Pool.

A 4 x 4 is advantageous on the dirt roads in Arikok National Park, especially in light of the rains from Omar.

A compace car is sufficient and just fine for any of the other roads on the island.

We always rent a 4 x 4 for the extra room and less worry on the dirt roads. If you wanted to visit the Natural Pool I highly suggest going via horse back or ATV instead.

if you have a motorcycle license, get off the ship, and go to the left one block to the harley dealer. we rented a harley for $153 for the full day, without reservations, and did the whole island. they gave us a map and told us where and what to see. we even stopped twice to snorkel, besides all the other things we saw. was our best day of our 13 night cruise we just took in Oct 08

After some research, we made a booking for a Jeep with Smart Rent-a-Car, and received an email confirmation. I replied to this email with a few logistical questions, only to be told they were sold out. What? So, in other words, had I not followed up, we would have shown up only to be turned away?! :eek:

Lesson learned, and passing it along -- don't rely on a "reservation" with "Smart" Rent-a-Car in Aruba.

Amigo and Courtesy are showing no availability; Hertz saying they're closed (31 December); still waiting to hear from Royal and American.

Any other recommendations for car rental agencies?

We rented with Amigo for one day in June. Just wanting an SUV because we did not want to go to the Natural Pool, we received a new Hyundai Santa Fe with front wheel drive. Comfortably fit 4 adults and 3 children.

Appreciate the input.

Amigo, Courtesy, and Royal all have replied saying they are sold out, but we did get an email from American Car Rental advising they have both Jeep Wranglers and Suzuki ZL-7s available... any recommends for either the company or vehicles?

Archived