Notifying our credit card company we'll be out of the country???

farjar

Does anyone notify their credit card company that they will be using their cards out of the country? I was just wondering if the credit card company might get suspicious of sudden foreign charges appearing on our bill. I would hate for them to flag or cancel our card while we're sailing and they weren't able to contact us to verify the charges were legitimate. You're thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

It would probably be wise for you to notify them, just for the reasons you mentioned.

I "forgot" to do that on my last cruise.....bought a ring.....and by the next morning I had a message on my cell phone trying to verify if the charges were okay (I had no phone service). My card is through our local credit union, so when they could not get me they called my office and my friend in Human Resources verified that I was indeed out the country.

I could have saved everyone a lot of trouble if I had just notified the credit card company. :o

My husband and I ALWAYS call Visa when we leave for a vacation, ever since he tried to use his card in Utah (We are from Saskatchewan, Canada) and found out it was shut down. A quick phone call corrected the situation, and now we always call to notify them for both his card, and mine.

My suggestion to you is Yes. My bank is very diligent in watching any charges that seem abnormal and when they find one they call my house. If we are not home than the card is turned off. This could be a real problem when on vacation. I fly out of the middle east on my R&R and of course use my card somewhere along the trip and by the next day they have called my DW to check. I hope this has helped and have a great cruise.

Yes, we're leaving for France tomorrow and notified two of our credit cards that we'll be out of country. They asked one security question each & made the notation on our card files...they also gave me the customer service number to call from outside the US if we had any problems. Very painless, and it gave me peace of mind.

You should check to see if there any fees associated with using your card in a foreign port. Last month for the first time, even though had card for 20 years, I was charged a 3% fee for everything I purchased.

I was quite upset to find those charges, so went to the bank and they apologized, but said I should have been charged everytime I used it out of the Country, I was just lucky in the past.

You should check to see if there any fees associated with using your card in a foreign port. Last month for the first time, even though had card for 20 years, I was charged a 3% fee for everything I purchased.

I was quite upset to find those charges, so went to the bank and they apologized, but said I should have been charged everytime I used it out of the Country, I was just lucky in the past.

That's the reason I got a Capitol One Credit Card. As far as I know, they're the only ones that don't charge for foreign purchases. I used it a lot in the lat couple years in Europe, British Isles, Turkey, etc, and never had a fee charged. And yes, I did notify them of my itinerary when I left the country.

I was very annoyed in that I called them about two weeks before my trip, and they told me I'd have to call back a day or two before I leave. Why? :confused: if it's just a matter of putting a note in the computer file, I don't get why that can't be done in advance. I just hope I remember...

Does anyone notify their credit card company that they will be using their cards out of the country? I was just wondering if the credit card company might get suspicious of sudden foreign charges appearing on our bill. I would hate for them to flag or cancel our card while we're sailing and they weren't able to contact us to verify the charges were legitimate. You're thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

I did. I also told them I would be driving down and the route I was taking so they wouldn't think something was up. The guy was very appreciative. He gave me numbers to call when in the US, GC, Jamaica and Mexico to call in case I had a problem with my CC. I put the numbers in with our cruise documents and passports.

I agree with many of the previous posters. MY DH and I call our credit card company before we travel.

I was on a cruise about 9 years ago. While in Mexico I bought a ring at a jewelry store. I used my credit card. Since I had not called the company ahead of time I was on the phone with my company, while at the store, for about 15 mins. as they wanted to be sure that I was OK with the purchase etc. They thought the card might have been stolen. I am glad the company was so villigent, but the time wasted could have been better spent at a local bar - LOL.

Always! It's a free phone call and only takes a couple of minutes. Although we use cash only in ports, our S & S can get pretty hefty........

We use debit cards. I saw something on CC last year suggesting you call about going out of the country. When I called the credit union she suggested we call when we leave the country or even the state. So that's what we do.

I got a call last week asking to confirm purchases about 3 purchases on my debit card over a 3 day period. They were our monthly grocery store trip, gasoline and a clothing store visit. In our town. :confused:

At least they are looking out for me.

Archived