Back from Solstice today ... amazing!

ssgemini

We booked an AQ for only $100 over the cost of a CC could not resist.:D

$100 OVER?? My TA can swap us out of our CC cabins into AQ cabins for fully $200 LESS each. That would mean a $400 savings for us, but we're traveling with five other ppl who are not in CC so we opted to remain where we were.

There is zero guarantee that you can obtain seats in the main dining room on any given night at either early or late seating if you're AQ.

You're right, it seems they took away many of the good features of the M-class cabins. Don't you just love the storage above the bed...that should be really convenient for the old folks.

Or short folks. I do not intend to climb up on the bed to put anything away. :(

I also wonder how secure the stops on those storage doors are in the case of rough seas.

Truly, I don't understand about the reduction of closet space. Our 'leading ladies' couldn't have approved that, or the narrow access to the closets.

I am sailing on the 14th; yesterday I've made 2 reservations oline for the specialty restaurants - no problem at all.

So I guess I am a "consortia", then...:D:D

I'm sailing on Friday, Nov. 21 (2 nights) and cannot reserve specialty restaurants on line or over the phone. How did you do that? TIA

This paragraph is excerpted from Business Week dated 11/13/08

"Solstice is an attempt to reach out to the 80% of Americans who have

never taken a cruise, particularly middle-aged women. Royal Caribbean

hired a market research firm called Synectics, which in 2006 took five

boomer women on a four-month tour of cruise ships, boutique hotels, and

furniture stores. The focus group also visited the Solstice's shipyard

in Germany. Among the design features they suggested: more storage space

above and below the bed, double doors that opened up to the adjoining

cabin, and footrests in the showers for shaving legs."

Hard to believe they also suggested less closet, shelf and drawer space for your clothes, and no handheld shower. So only 15" between the bed and the closet, what happens when you move the nightstand between the beds for a twin configuration. I'm pretty sure I'm more than 15" deep. It will be fun having to move the bed every time I want to access the closet. And won't everyone have fun bending over to access and read the instructions for the safe; you'll have to sit on the floor..........oops can't do that, bed's in the way.

On the positive side, the foot rest in the shower is a good idea.

Putting a positive spin on these cabins, there is only so much you can do with a 180 sq foot rectangle. I do applaud Celebrity for trying something different, even if it is not 100% successful. Generally speaking, I really enjoy the quirks and challenges of shipboard cabins. It would be awfully boring if they were nothing more than a typical hotel room on shore. I like that fact that things are different (even small details like light switches), and sometimes you have to figure them out. For the most part European fixtures are used and that is part of the appeal for me. It's not the typical stuff we find in the US.

I will make do with the small closets, just like I made do with no drawers on QUEEN VICTORIA. It's by no means a deal breaker for me and in some ways is part of the fun of being on a ship.

I think back to the late 70's and early 80's when ships like SONG OF NORWAY and SUN VIKING were sailing on 7-10 day Caribbean cruises. The cabins were about 100 sq ft (or smaller) and the tiny closet did not even have a door, just a curtain. The beds were so close together your knees would lock if you were sitting across from each other, and a sofa, balcony, and TV were unheard of. The bathroom was so small it truly defined the phrase "shave, sh--, and shower". So in 20+ years we have really come a long way! Funny thing is, those small cabins on the early ships never bothered me. The small size was a great incentive to get out and enjoy the ship and fellow passengers, which I think was the point.

Ernie

"Solstice is an attempt to reach out to the 80% of Americans who have

never taken a cruise, particularly middle-aged women. Royal Caribbean

hired a market research firm called Synectics, which in 2006 took five

boomer women on a four-month tour of cruise ships, boutique hotels, and

furniture stores. The focus group also visited the Solstice's shipyard

cabin, and footrests in the showers for shaving legs."

Hard to believe they also suggested less closet, shelf and drawer space for your clothes, and no handheld shower. So only 15" between the bed and the closet, what happens when you move the nightstand between the beds for a twin configuration. I'm pretty sure I'm more than 15" deep. It will be fun having to move the bed every time I want to access the closet. And won't everyone have fun bending over to access and read the instructions for the safe; you'll have to sit on the floor..........oops can't do that, bed's in the way.

On the positive side, the foot rest in the shower is a good idea.

Hi Signman :)

Thanks for sharing that interesting article.

I find it interesting that Solstice was designed to appeal to middle aged women who have never been on a cruise.

Yet, when you consider the fact that there are a lot more middle aged single women than single men it makes sense.

That might also explain the closet mystery. Today most people dress casually for almost every aspect of their life, so someone who has never been on a cruise could easily underestimate the space they would need for their formal clothes.

Ah.. back then most people didn't know any better.. as it was the norm for the Caribbean. I sure had my share of some doozies! However, there were ships which offered quite nice wardrobes and storage. Even the old Island Princess and Pac Princess in their 125 sq ft cabins had more long hanging space!

I believe the staterooms are listed at 190 sqft.

Sometimes you can't reinvent the wheel. The CC on M-class are 191..........my last C2 on the old QE2.. was 201 sq ft.... only 10 sqft larger... with full bath with tub.......triple wardrobe........and 4 huge drawers.

The lack of long hanging space is felt more by ladies than men. I wouldn't mind folding clothing if there were self-ironing facilities onboard, but there are not. It was so easy on the Ruby.. unpacked.. and just down the hall was the laundry for a quick press.

I have at home what is probably the smallest full bath - with tub in the world. Smaller than the bathrooms on Solstice - but yet.. more storage space. Clever contractor - he missed his calling! He should be designing ship interiors!

Putting a positive spin on these cabins, there is only so much you can do with a 180 sq foot rectangle. I do applaud Celebrity for trying something different, even if it is not 100% successful. Generally speaking, I really enjoy the quirks and challenges of shipboard cabins. It would be awfully boring if they were nothing more than a typical hotel room on shore. I like that fact that things are different (even small details like light switches), and sometimes you have to figure them out. For the most part European fixtures are used and that is part of the appeal for me. It's not the typical stuff we find in the US.

I will make do with the small closets, just like I made do with no drawers on QUEEN VICTORIA. It's by no means a deal breaker for me and in some ways is part of the fun of being on a ship.

I think back to the late 70's and early 80's when ships like SONG OF NORWAY and SUN VIKING were sailing on 7-10 day Caribbean cruises. The cabins were about 100 sq ft (or smaller) and the tiny closet did not even have a door, just a curtain. The beds were so close together your knees would lock if you were sitting across from each other, and a sofa, balcony, and TV were unheard of. The bathroom was so small it truly defined the phrase "shave, sh--, and shower". So in 20+ years we have really come a long way! Funny thing is, those small cabins on the early ships never bothered me. The small size was a great incentive to get out and enjoy the ship and fellow passengers, which I think was the point.

Ernie

It sounds as if the closet was designed for short cruises but could pose a serious problem for two people on a long cruise.

Hope they receive enough complaints about the storage.. We are scheduled for the Equinox trans-atlantic for TWO weeks and with no washing machines this poses a major problem.. I do not pack light...no matter what

I just returned from the prenighter as well. The two questions you have to ask yourself are : would you be using the Persian Garden.. and how often? Secondly, is dining in Blu that important to you?

I would stress.. avoiding balcony cabins on deck 6 because of the obstructions.. and avoiding the center balcony hump cabins........as many now have parts of the "X" obstructing the view.

IMHO, I think the CC balconies - if you can get them for not much more than the standard balcony are worth the extra $$ for the added amenities.

We booked the Equinox..a C1 Balcony 1108..right next to the suites... is this a problem for viewing...it is at a funky angle

I will be interested to see how the cabins on subsequent ships in the fleet might differ from those on the Solstice. The closet situation sounds truly frustrating. Also the night tables seem almost unusably small. Installing a shorter sofa unit could free up much needed space, but I am not sure that is possible considering that the sofas are a trundle design. Would there be room for a more traditional single/double sofa sleeper that would result in a shorter length?

Interestingly, I was looking at the RCCL sight and noticed the cabin diagrams for the Oasis of the Seas look identical to the Solstice Class - hmmmmm

i just called celebrity and asked the question posed here...if ur booked in aqua class, are u limited to eating in only blu and the specialty restaurants? i was told no...you can still eat in the main dining room, although you are not assigned a seat...if you choose to eat there they ask you to let the maitre'd in blu know that you will not be dining there. i asked if you could go into the main dining room at the start of the cruise to request an assigned table and was told yes...depending on availability.

You are correct. Keep in mind that Aqua Class can eat in the main dining room BUT the Blu is only for Aqua Class.

The whole concept of Aqua Class is having a Spa Resort on a ship. The idea is instead of going to a land spa resort for a week you can go to a spa on a cruise. The Aqua Class cabins are close to the spa/fitness center, they have spa quality amenaties, and thay have a spa resturant, the Blu serving food you would expect at any land spa resort. It is reserved only for spa guest serving spa type food.

We booked the Equinox..a C1 Balcony 1108..right next to the suites... is this a problem for viewing...it is at a funky angle

attachment.php?attachmentid=96129&thumb=1&d=1226693546

I have a C1 next to the suites on Sky Deck so I was very interested in the same issue. After looking closely at photgraphs and from what I've seen on other ships;

The deck plans are inaccurate when they show the corridor outside these "bump" rooms. They are actually squared-off as the other cabins are in two's. The deck plan for the Resort deck is the only one that shows this, however, it makes the outside wall of the cabin appeared angled which is also inaccurate. The outside wall, is parallel to the corridor wall, making the balcony a wedge shape. The balconies are in fact larger.

I have re-drawn the lines on the bump-out rooms on the Resort Deck to show what I believe is an accurate look at these rooms.

Hope this helps

$100 OVER?? My TA can swap us out of our CC cabins into AQ cabins for fully $200 LESS each. That would mean a $400 savings for us, but we're traveling with five other ppl who are not in CC so we opted to remain where we were.

There is zero guarantee that you can obtain seats in the main dining room on any given night at either early or late seating if you're AQ.

A CC cabin gets CC service, champaign, and all the amentaties thats comes with a CC cabin. I don't think an AC gets these services. You can't really compare the two

Just checked with Celebrity once you are on the ship you can get an assigned main dining room table. Haven't tried it yet but I would bet that your TA could do it at time of booking

cabin, and footrests in the showers for shaving legs.".

The storage area below the bed is less because they have a basket to hold life jackets under the bed. I did not see any storage space above the bed.

The distance between the floor and the bottom of the bed is the same as on all RCCL ships

The storage area below the bed is less because they have a basket to hold life jackets under the bed. I did not see any storage space above the bed.

The distance between the floor and the bottom of the bed is the same as on all RCCL ships

You needed to open the faux wood boxes above the bed. Heavy weight comforters are stored up there.

Sometimes you can't reinvent the wheel.

Yes, I agree sometimes that is true. Also, don't fix what is not broke. As I mentioned earlier there is only so much you can do with a 180-190 sq ft rectangle. You can't have tons of closet space, a sitting area with sofa, and a large bathroom. It's just not possible. One or two items on the "wish list" have to suffer.

On SOLSTICE, in a standard balcony cabin you have a sitting area with a decent sized sofa and a very nice size bathroom with a lot of storage space. What suffers is the closet space. On RUBY PRINCESS, there is really no sitting area (the bed is pretty much the entire cabin) and the bathroom and shower are tiny, but there is more closet space (no closet doors though). On QUEEN VICTORIA the bathroom and shower are very small, but the cabin was a nice size as were the closets but no drawer space. It's always a tradeoff and different things are important to different people.

Personally, I am willing to forgo larger closets for a larger sitting area in the cabin and more floor space in the bathroom. I know not everyone will agree with me as we each have our own priorities.

Having spent time in a Princess "Grand Class" standard balcony cabin, it felt extremely small. Compared to what I see on SOLSTICE I know which cabin I would prefer.

Ernie

Yes, I agree sometimes that is true. Also, don't fix what is not broke. As I mentioned earlier there is only so much you can do with a 180-190 sq ft rectangle. You can't have tons of closet space, a sitting area with sofa, and a large bathroom. It's just not possible. One or two items on the "wish list" have to suffer.

On SOLSTICE, in a standard balcony cabin you have a sitting area with a decent sized sofa and a very nice size bathroom with a lot of storage space. What suffers is the closet space. On RUBY PRINCESS, there is really no sitting area (the bed is pretty much the entire cabin) and the bathroom and shower are tiny, but there is more closet space (no closet doors though). On QUEEN VICTORIA the bathroom and shower are very small, but the cabin was a nice size as were the closets but no drawer space. It's always a tradeoff and different things are important to different people.

Personally, I am willing to forgo larger closets for a larger sitting area in the cabin and more floor space in the bathroom. I know not everyone will agree with me as we each have our own priorities.

Having spent time in a Princess "Grand Class" standard balcony cabin, it felt extremely small. Compared to what I see on SOLSTICE I know which cabin I would prefer.

Ernie

Ernie - I personally think HAL got it just about right on their Vista/Signature class ships - decent balance between closet space, drawer space (love the big trundle drawers under the beds!), sitting area and decent bathroom size. I just wish the finishes were a bit more like the Celebrity Ships!

A CC cabin gets CC service, champaign, and all the amentaties thats comes with a CC cabin. I don't think an AC gets these services. You can't really compare the two

Just checked with Celebrity once you are on the ship you can get an assigned main dining room table. Haven't tried it yet but I would bet that your TA could do it at time of booking

This is from the Celebrity website, and it sounds to me like Aquaclass gets all the same amenities as the CC staterooms, plus a couple additions.

AquaClass Indulgences:

• Welcome champagne

• Daily fruit selection

• Fresh-cut flowers

• Daily hors d'oeuvres

• Unlimited access to the AquaSpa relaxation room and the Persian Garden

• Complimentary daily bottled water and iced tea

• Special programming and wellness classes3

• Menu of pillows-Conformance, Body, Goose, and Isotonic®

• Duvets and pillow-top mattresses

• Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag, Frette bathrobes

• Hansgrohe® showerhead

• VIP invitations to events

• Early embarkation and debarkation

• Dining and seating preference

• Preference on shore excursions

• Express luggage delivery

• Shoeshine service

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/cabintype/home.do;jsessionid=0000j9kRjL-BHhsmjyXB2ss7SzW:12h3rnd1c?br=C&cabinType=AQ&cabincls=B&shipCode=EQ

[quote name='scottamiller']Ernie - I personally think HAL got it just about right on their Vista/Signature class ships - decent balance between closet space, drawer space (love the big trundle drawers under the beds!), sitting area and decent bathroom size. I just wish the finishes were a bit more like the Celebrity Ships![/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. The cabins are quite nice but the finish is not great. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of HAL in general. The decor is not to my taste and I think the product is just "ok". The Vista Class ships especially seem very dark and closed-in to me. Parts of the ship remind me of Carnival. I know many people love HAL which is a great thing, it's just not for me. I'm glad we have so many cruise options so there is something for just about everyone.

Speaking of Carnival, they have pretty great cabins ... but again the finish is very basic and they don't feel luxurious at all.

Ernie

[quote name='hylasgirl']SO... we were right!!! The white "X" on the balcony has been painted now and it no longer transparent? That is a shame!!! I think that is a mistake. I really liked the understated elegance of the X on the balconies:( I really hate it when they don't run these changes by me:D

It also appears by the pictures that the CC rooms and above are the only ones getting footstools even though all their renderings show them in all pictures.

I DO have to agree about the complaining of the shower head. I am a little vertically challenged and I love the other type where you can position it where you want and also use it as a hand held.[/quote]
The "X" on the balcony is still there.... it is done by a prominent timt on the glass on the balcony. I just returned from the 12 - 14 sailing.

Smoking areas were totally ignored i.e. port or starboard side and even the areas where it could be done made no sense ! Not the first "No Smoking" signage visible on the outside decks nor ash trays attached to side of ship where smoking was allowed that I could find. Glass ashtrays used and many broken. Plastic ones similiar to RCL's would have been better in my opinion.

Service while good, was not what I have had on other cruiselines b any means.....Was not bad, but I found the bar tenders to be rude at the pool area and did not know how to prepare mixed drinks or were poorly made.

Lottsa space on this ship.....no feel of crowds will be evident based on the spaciousness.

Showers in the bathrooms..... need to have the hand held for added convenience. Bathroom spacious but lacking in counter space. No liquid body wash in our stateroom.....bars of soap only !

Alternative dining venues.... ELEGANT and all with great sea views regardless of where seated !

Did not like the layout of stateroom hallways.... choppy and alot of walking to get from point A to point B.

Colors on the ship very tame and subdued without being over the top.... good eye candy in my opinion !

Aqua stateroms.... bathrooms had additional showerhead for massage.

Mens area of the spa was a disgusing fish smell.....even the staff said they had to keep dorrs closed due to the smell flowing thru that are of the ship.

So many elegant touches on this ship....one would feel they were in the class of a Vegas Hotel i.e. Venetian or Mandalay Bay.....

Suites.... well, for the price, you expect the premiums offered, but did not see anything more special than I have on HAL ships.

CC class.... no big difference than that of the standard balcoies other than a few additional ammenities.

Sunset Verandahs.....I was dissappointed.... the view although good, was distorted by the rear of the ships dirty blue hull. Could have been artificial plants or something located there to make the view more appealing.

Can't really say the Lawn area impressed me.... I honestly think this is overkill and was not thought out too well.

JMOH

[quote name='travelntreats']The "X" on the balcony is still there.... it is done by a prominent timt on the glass on the balcony. I just returned from the 12 - 14 sailing.
in the bathrooms..... need to have the hand held for added convenience. Bathroom spacious but lacking in counter space. No liquid body wash in our stateroom.....bars of soap only !

Alternative dining venues.... ELEGANT and all with great sea views regardless of where seated !

Did not like the layout of stateroom hallways.... choppy and alot of walking to get from point A to point B.

Colors on the ship very tame and subdued without being over the top.... good eye candy in my opinion !

Aqua stateroms.... bathrooms had additional showerhead for massage.

Mens area of the spa was a disgusing fish smell.....even the staff said they had to keep dorrs closed due to the smell flowing thru that are of the ship.

So many elegant touches on this ship....one would feel they were in the class of a Vegas Hotel i.e. Venetian or Mandalay Bay.....

Suites.... well, for the price, you expect the premiums offered, but did not see anything more special than I have on HAL ships.

CC class.... no big difference than that of the standard balcoies other than a few additional ammenities.

Sunset Verandahs.....I was dissappointed.... the view although good, was distorted by the rear of the ships dirty blue hull. Could have been artificial plants or something located there to make the view more appealing.

Can't really say the Lawn area impressed me.... I honestly think this is overkill and was not thought out too well.

JMOH[/QUOTE]

Did I read correctly, they do not have hand helds in the bathtubs and/or showers!!!
We have booked a Sky Suite on the TA, and from what I have seen and read, there is a shower head in the bathtub. Am I correct, or is there a european hand held in the bathtub.
Thanks for the report.
Mille grazie,
Alberto

[quote name='evoni']This is from the Celebrity website, and it sounds to me like Aquaclass gets all the same amenities as the CC staterooms, plus a couple additions.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/cabintype/home.do;jsessionid=0000j9kRjL-BHhsmjyXB2ss7SzW:12h3rnd1c?br=C&cabinType=AQ&cabincls=B&shipCode=EQ[/url][/QUOTE]

I stand corrected

Archived