Duty Free Alcohol?

Gerbera

G'day Folks,

Hubby (Roger) & I are heading off on "Dawn Princess" on Sunday 23rd Nov 12 nights Pacific Idyl. (Sooooooo exciting) 10 more sleeps (But who is counting) LOL.

Can anyone help me with a question about Duty Free Buying Alcohol

We have never travelled out of Australia before :( Within Australia only!

Do we buy our alcohol at the airport and leave it there to pick up on our return (as suggested by a friend) or do we take it on the plane as hand luggage to take on the ship? (can't take up precious clothing space in the suitcase) LOL

Others have suggested buying it in Vila or one of the islands? *shrug*

Are we allowed to drink any of what we buy?

I really can't get my head around how it all works and my TA must not drink as he has no idea to offer us any advice when we asked LOL.

And what about the bottle you can have in your room, does that specifically have to be champagne or bubbly? And can we have a bottle each?

Ha Ha I must sound like an alcoholic!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

CHEERS Gerbera (Carolyn & Roger) The Cruise is to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary :)

You can purchase two litres each at the airport and pick it up on your return so you don't have to carry it. Downside is you don't have it with you to drink:(

Google the Duty Free web site and it is all explained there.

Have a tood grip:D

You can purchase two litres each at the airport and pick it up on your return so you don't have to carry it. Downside is you don't have it with you to drink:(

Google the Duty Free web site and it is all explained there.

Have a tood grip:D

Now why didn't I think of that?

Google is my friend, I'm always telling everyone to Google everything LOL

Hope it is in a language I can understand :)

CHEERS again and Thank You

You are flying from Adelaide to Sydney for the cruise? Then you won't be able to buy duty free at the airport, surely?? Duty free is only, well, free of duty / tax when you pass thru customs, and you only do that at the wharf in Sydney.

Well, I haven't cruised before, so I may well be wrong. Seems a bit odd though - where would you get your hands on duty free if you are flying domestic? The duty free stores are in the international terminal.

Anyhoo, I am told (reliably - by cruise junkies) that the duty free in Vila is much cheaper than in Oz and elsewhere in the south pacific, and "Fung Kwei has the best duty free in Vila." See near the end of our roll-call thread, we have been discussing it over there the last couple days: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16983380#post16983380

Cheers.

G'day Folks,

Can anyone help me with a question about Duty Free Buying Alcohol

We have never travelled out of Australia before :( Within Australia only!

Do we buy our alcohol at the airport and leave it there to pick up on our return (as suggested by a friend) or do we take it on the plane as hand luggage to take on the ship? (can't take up precious clothing space in the suitcase) LOL

If you are not wanting to consume it on board, then skip the Duty Free shop at the airport and buy it on board from Princess. I have found that their prices are less than duty free shops. Princess will deliver the purchase to your cabin the last evening of the cruise.

You are flying from Adelaide to Sydney for the cruise? Then you won't be able to buy duty free at the airport, surely?? Duty free is only, well, free of duty / tax when you pass thru customs, and you only do that at the wharf in Sydney.

Well, I haven't cruised before, so I may well be wrong. Seems a bit odd though - where would you get your hands on duty free if you are flying domestic? The duty free stores are in the international terminal.

Anyhoo, I am told (reliably - by cruise junkies) that the duty free in Vila is much cheaper than in Oz and elsewhere in the south pacific, and "Fung Kwei has the best duty free in Vila." See near the end of our roll-call thread, we have been discussing it over there the last couple days: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16983380#post16983380

Cheers.

The NEW Adelaide Airport is a combined Domestic and International Airport. We can wander about and acces all the shops and Duty Free. I am of the understanding that if I took my E Ticket/Boarding Pass to the Duty Free shop I can purchase before I leave? I was hoping someone could confirm that for me?

Thanks for the link/information regarding "Fung Kwei" in Vila. Much appreciated.

Hyperthetically, if I was to purchase 2.25 litres (Legal allowance) . Can I drink it on board! then purchase a further 2.25 Litres to bring back home?

What are the rules about alcohol in your room on board the Dawn Princess?

CHEERS Gerbera

Duty free in Vila is much cheaper than either on board or duty free in Aus. Check if you can take 2ltrs on the plane as you can only take small amounts of liquids. I really don't think you will be able to buy duty free if you are flying domestic. We have just returned from a cruise on the Sun and any grog in your cases or carry on was taken and returned on the last day of the cruise. JW Red in Villa was 17.80 Aud for 1.125 ltrs and Bundy was about $20. Hope this helps.

Duty free in Vila is much cheaper than either on board or duty free in Aus. Check if you can take 2ltrs on the plane as you can only take small amounts of liquids. I really don't think you will be able to buy duty free if you are flying domestic. We have just returned from a cruise on the Sun and any grog in your cases or carry on was taken and returned on the last day of the cruise. JW Red in Villa was 17.80 Aud for 1.125 ltrs and Bundy was about $20. Hope this helps.

Welcome back from your Cruise, I'm sure you had a great time.

Eight more days and I will be on my way (Exciting)

Sounds like we will wait till we get to Vila to buy our Duty Free :) Can't complain about those prices hey?

Sounds too complicated to try and get a bottle in my bag for on the cruise?

Thanks for your input :)

CHEERS Gerbera

The NEW Adelaide Airport is a combined Domestic and International Airport. We can wander about and acces all the shops and Duty Free. I am of the understanding that if I took my E Ticket/Boarding Pass to the Duty Free shop I can purchase before I leave? I was hoping someone could confirm that for me?

Thanks for the link/information regarding "Fung Kwei" in Vila. Much appreciated.

Hyperthetically, if I was to purchase 2.25 litres (Legal allowance) . Can I drink it on board! then purchase a further 2.25 Litres to bring back home?

What are the rules about alcohol in your room on board the Dawn Princess?

CHEERS Gerbera

Hey Gerbera,

The buying/leaving at Adelaide airport still doesn't sound right - you have to pass thru Customs with it to declare it, and you won't be passing thru Customs at Adelaide. Why don't you give the duty-free shop a call, they will be able to advise. (And post it back here for the rest of us noobs! :))

They return your alcohol to you on the last night of the cruise, so you could buy more than your 2.25 litres allowance each, then have a little party on that last night. That's what our roll-call crowd are planning! :D You can get thru Customs a little over the limit, but not excessivley over. Be aware you do risk paying duty on the entire amount if you are even a little bit over, so it may all depend on the mood of the little hitler and whether he likes the look of you...

The Princess policy on wine is confusing to say the least. They appear to be trying to make the policy (zero tolerance) the same as P&O for the Oz-based ships (Dawn and Sun.) Brochures, website, and cruise contracts give conflicting information. Consensus seems to be print the one that is most favourable and wave that around if the ship personnel try to confiscate. Best case appears to be one bottle each at each port, so in my case I'll be bringing aboard one bottle of wine or champagne at Sydney, Noumea, and Vila for each over-18.

OK, hope this helps!

Oh btw, you will get more "knowledgable about local conditions" responses if you post over on the 'P&O Oz' board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Sounds too complicated to try and get a bottle in my bag for on the cruise?

I don't condone booze smuggling you understand :rolleyes:, but folk around here recommend 'rum runner flasks' for this purpose. (google it.)

Delivery is supposed to be very quick, so you may or may not have time to get hold of some before you go...

Failing that, wrap the bottle well and put it in your checked luggage. worst that can happen is, they detect it and take it off you, give it back at the end of the cruise. Keep your receipt to prove to Customs that you bought it in Oz, I guess!

Hey Gerbera,

The buying/leaving at Adelaide airport still doesn't sound right - you have to pass thru Customs with it to declare it, and you won't be passing thru Customs at Adelaide. Why don't you give the duty-free shop a call, they will be able to advise. (And post it back here for the rest of us noobs! :))

They return your alcohol to you on the last night of the cruise, so you could buy more than your 2.25 litres allowance each, then have a little party on that last night. That's what our roll-call crowd are planning! :D You can get thru Customs a little over the limit, but not excessivley over. Be aware you do risk paying duty on the entire amount if you are even a little bit over, so it may all depend on the mood of the little hitler and whether he likes the look of you...

The Princess policy on wine is confusing to say the least. They appear to be trying to make the policy (zero tolerance) the same as P&O for the Oz-based ships (Dawn and Sun.) Brochures, website, and cruise contracts give conflicting information. Consensus seems to be print the one that is most favourable and wave that around if the ship personnel try to confiscate. Best case appears to be one bottle each at each port, so in my case I'll be bringing aboard one bottle of wine or champagne at Sydney, Noumea, and Vila for each over-18.

OK, hope this helps!

Oh btw, you will get more "knowledgable about local conditions" responses if you post over on the 'P&O Oz' board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Most helpfull information Thank You Kindly :)

I don't condone booze smuggling you understand :rolleyes:, but folk around here recommend 'rum runner flasks' for this purpose. (google it.)

Delivery is supposed to be very quick, so you may or may not have time to get hold of some before you go...

Failing that, wrap the bottle well and put it in your checked luggage. worst that can happen is, they detect it and take it off you, give it back at the end of the cruise. Keep your receipt to prove to Customs that you bought it in Oz, I guess!

I've searched the Rum Runner Flask and I am onto where I can get one ASAP. CHEERS again and Thanks for your help :)

Dear All,

I have just rang the Duty Free Shop at the Adelaide Airport.

I spoke with a helpful man called Paul.

This was his advice:

When travelling (domestic) to Sydney or the likes to take a cruise out of Australia. You can buy your alcohol at the Duty Free at the Airport by showing your E Ticket, boarding pass and passport.

Purchases are to be carried on the plane as hand luggage. On the ship they will be put into Bond. Returned to you at the end of the cruise and you again carry it back home as hand luggage. So I guess no drinking it while away :(

Hope this is helpful to others :)

CHEERS Gerbera (Carolyn & Roger) Leaving Sunday 23rd November on Dawn Princess :):p

9 more sleeps (who's excited)

Archived